Homebrew Question What's with wii u on switch not being possible

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the switch can emulate Wii and GameCube games, why not Wii U games?
The only thing really stopping it is gamepad support.
The Wii u uses the same hardware the Wii does. Why do so many people claim it's a pipe dream/impossible when the scene is already able to emulate the hardware the U is based off of?

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Wii U comes with a 1.243GHz Triple-core PowerPC-based Espresso microprocessor. The Wii, on the other hand, was a 729MHz single core device with a Broadway microprocessor. The Wii had 88 MB system memory, whereas the WiiU has a 2GB RAM with 1GB reserved for the operating system and there is many other differences between the two systems

Reactions: KlariNoX

Yamathedestroyer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Wii U uses the Espresso CPU which has some similarities to the XBOX 360 CPU but keeps compatibility with the wii's Broadway. The GPU is an completely New Chip developed by AMD.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The Wii U comes with a 1.243GHz Triple-core PowerPC-based Espresso microprocessor. The Wii, on the other hand, was a 729MHz single core device with a Broadway microprocessor. The Wii had 88 MB system memory, whereas the WiiU has a 2GB RAM with 1GB reserved for the operating system and there is many other differences between the two systems

WTF, the whole CPU is named Broadway.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see.
Still it doesn't seem too far fetched some the switch seems that much more powerful than the Wii u... Is it?

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are a lot of differences. By comparison, the Wii and GC were quite similar.

The Wii U was not significantly more powerful that the Wii, but it did have a tri-core CPU (verses the single core in the Wii) and more memory/faster graphics. But the CPU was backwards compatible with the Wii and the GPU was more than capable of handling Wii/GC SD graphics. The Wii U uses an actual OS as well (unlike the Wii)
The Switch uses a modified Nvidia Tegra X1 processor while the Wii U has a 1.24GHz tri-core IBM CPU and 550MHz Radeon GPU. They are not compatible. Don't expect the Switch to ever run Wii U games.

Yamathedestroyer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Switch is more powerful as the Wii U, there is no doubt on that but its not by far more powerful. The Maxwell NV GPU is easily more Powerful than the Terascale AMD GPU in the Wii U. When we come to the CPU it gets more complicated. The Wii U uses an PowerPC tricore CPU which is very different from the Quad Core ARM CPU used by the Switch. Estimates say that the Switch CPU is still around 15 to 20% faster.

There are a lot of differences. By comparison, the
The Switch uses a modified Nvidia Tegra X1 processor .

The Tegra X1 inside the Switch isnt modified. Its an absolute off the shelf part and can also be found inside the Shield TV.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WTF, the whole CPU is named Broadway.
The Broadway is a microprocessor or cpu lol they both mean the same thing.

Definition of a microprocessor

an integrated circuit that contains all the functions of a central processing unit of a computer.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Yamathedestroyer

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The Broadway is a microprocessor or cpu lol they both mean the same thing.

Definition of a cpu

an integrated circuit that contains all the functions of a central processing unit of a computer.

Sorry then. Im not an Native English Speaker and i thought you talked bs. Didnt want to insult you.

AmandaRose

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry then. Im not an Native English Speaker and i thought you talked bs. Didnt want to insult you.
Just so you know I'm not talking bs look at this.

Screenshot_20191017_020852_com.sec.android.app.sbrowser.jpg

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see.
Still it doesn't seem too far fetched some the switch seems that much more powerful than the Wii u... Is it?

The Wii U is more powerful than the PS2, and Xbox (OG), yet understandably no one is waiting on the system to be able to play games from those systems. Just because a system is more powerful doesn't mean that it can easily play any less powerful system before it. Heck, you'll still be hard pressed to find any system that can play a Sega Saturn emulator at a satisfactory speed.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the good Wii U games have or are coming to Swich anyway. Best you're going to get otherwise buy a Wii U.

The Wii U is more powerful than the PS2, and Xbox (OG), yet understandably no one is waiting on the system to be able to play games from those systems. Just because a system is more powerful doesn't mean that it can easily play any less powerful system before it. Heck, you'll still be hard pressed to find any system that can play a Sega Saturn emulator at a satisfactory speed.

You must be out of the loop Saturn emulation is coming to Switch https://gbatemp.net/threads/yaba-sanshiro-optimised-sega-saturn-emulator-coming-soon.549776/ and is already playable on Lakka Switch and Android Switch.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the good Wii U games have or are coming to Swich anyway. Best you're going to get otherwise buy a Wii U.

They're inexpensive, and really are worth it if you hack them out.

You must be out of the loop Saturn emulation is coming to Switch https://gbatemp.net/threads/yaba-sanshiro-optimised-sega-saturn-emulator-coming-soon.549776/ and is already playable on Lakka Switch and Android Switch.

But is the emulation any good? Technically there is a Saturn emulator for the Wii but it's so terrible that it's not even worth using. I'm sure that Switch Saturn emulator is better, but I'd be shocked if it's even close to full speed due to how strange the architecture of that system was making it hard to develop for in general, let alone emulate on system with very different hardware, even if they are significantly more powerful.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes all games are full speed playable on Lakka and Android and the dev m4xw did N64 PSP and Dreamcast is doing it for native Switch, it'll be perfect or at least near perfect.

Yaba Sanshiro is perfect on PC it's laughable to compare it to the Wii Saturn emulator. Like I said you're out of the loop.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes all games are full speed playable on Lakka and Android and the dev m4xw did N64 PSP and Dreamcast is doing it for native Switch, it'll be perfect or at least near perfect.

Yaba Sanshiro is perfect on PC it's laughable to compare it to the Wii Saturn emulator. Like I said you're out of the loop.

Well then congrats guys, 4 gens later, and we can finally emulate the Saturn on modern consoles. Perhaps that helps illustrate all the more why asking for full speed compatability with a system from only one gen earlier isn't always as simple as it may sound (which of course isn't to say that it can't be rather simple from one gen to the next, just depends on how different the architecture is).

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't congratulate me I was simply correcting you on something you clearly had no clue about. It doesn't matter when it happened Saturn emulation is way better than back when someone tried to do it for Wii. I've been emulating Saturn on PC for nearly a decade.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't congratulate me I was simply correcting you on something you clearly had no clue about. It doesn't matter when it happened Saturn emulation is way better than back when someone tried to do it for Wii. I've been emulating Saturn on PC for nearly a decade.

lol it wasn't directed at you in general.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was simply correcting you on something you clearly had no clue about. It doesn't matter when it happened Saturn emulation is way better than back when someone tried to do it for Wii. I've been emulating Saturn on PC for nearly a decade.

Also what do you mean by correcting? I wasn't wrong, Saturn emulation was a pain and only now 2 decades later are we getting decent emulation. In no way does that negatively affect my point, but only reinforces it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought