What's with the trend of calling things "One" nowadays?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Mar 3, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    - PlayStation One
    - Xbox One
    - HTC One
    - HTC One Max
    So on and so forth.

It's just a weird title to give to a product considering there were versions of them before these newer ones existed that it just boggles my mind.

I do wonder if people who work in game stores get asked questions like "is Xbox 360 newer than Xbox One?" probably but considering it's got its games on the shelves and big ass advertisement not so much I'd think.

2. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    one for all and all for one.

3. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone

I don't think a 10+ year old piece of tech fits with a recent trend.

Ammako, trumpet-205 and Foxi4 like this.
  4. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Playstation One is hardly "nowadays" it was released over a decade ago. And that was just a way to differentiate it from older hardware (slim wasn't in use yet).

But you can add in Comcast's new-ish "X1" set top box if you like.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If by PlayStation One you mean the PSone then I'd just like to say that PSone is not treated as an acronym, it's the actual, registered name of the slimline version of the original PlayStation, althought that's a very minor correction. A bigger one would be saying that it's a system from 2000, so "nowadays" doesn't exactly apply to it. You'd have a better case arguing about the PSone Classics service. :P

I'm sure there are many reasons as to why manufacturers choose the word "One" to describe their devices. In the case of the XBox One, it's to underline that it's supposed to be an all-encompasing media center system, the "one device you use for all your entertainment needs".

As for people asking "is the XBox 360 newer than XBox One?", there will always be people like that, however if the marketing you employ is top notch, you can minimize those to the usual number of doofuses. I was personally a witness of a conversation between two customers in a store talking about an XBox 360 game, wondering "why you'd buy a console to play that, surely it works on their phone, right?" as well as another customer asking if the can "play this PS3 game on his XBox 360?" which goes to show that idiot questions cannot be prevented.

6. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I like to imagine that "One" is going to be this decade's equivalent of using the letter X in every title.

Wanderman_Trigge likes this.
  7. Wanderman_Trigge

Wanderman_Trigge Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2012
    United States
    they only put "one" in the name to make you think "this -ONE- is_THE ONE_ that everyONE will want" but alass, it's not the "ONE"

8. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Looking at my PSone's box which I can see sitting across the room from me as I type, it's actual official name is PlayStation (PSone) with the parenthesis and everything.

9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You're reading the back of the box, flip it the other way around and it just says PSone. :P Pretty sure that PlayStation was the "brand name" and the PSone was the name of the system (or rather, the revision of it). It even says so on the CD drive lid. ;)

10. Wanderman_Trigge

Wanderman_Trigge Member

Newcomer
    May 18, 2012
    United States
    i REALLLLLLLY like how everyONE is more focused on the psONE refrencse than that ONE thing
    LOL oneoneone111 ONEoNeONeonE1ONeone1 sideways- dead_ 1o1

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Of course it's not "The One" - this is "The One":

[​IMG]

Also, this forum is not the Edge of Forum - this one is.

Wanderman_Trigge likes this.