Hardware What's with the dying support of Virtual Console games on the 3DS and Wii U?

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they preparing the VC for the Switch? I've noticed that both EU and JP are not only getting hardly any VC games, but eShop games as well. So far, only NA seems to get VC games. We still need Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. As for SNES games on the New 3DS, I really hope we see games like Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Super Mario RPG. I know that the N3DS can support them. Old smartphones from 2011-2013 could even support them and those are on par with the N3DS's processing power.

Last edited by 03bgood,
Reactions: NoNAND

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they preparing the VC for the Switch? I've noticed that both EU and JP are not only getting hardly any VC games, but eShop games as well. So far, only NA seems to get VC games. We still need Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, and Mario Vs. Donkey Kong. As for SNES games on the New 3DS, I really hope we see games like Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3, and Super Mario RPG. I know that the N3DS can support them. Old smartphones from 2011-2013 could even support them and those are on par with the N3DS's processing power.
s w i t c h

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, only Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, and Mother 3 have been rumored. I really hope they announce more like Yoshi's Island (SNES version) and Star Fox. I also hope we finally get the original Contra.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, only Super Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Animal Crossing, and Mother 3 have been rumored. I really hope they announce more like Yoshi's Island (SNES version) and Star Fox. I also hope we finally get the original Contra.
You do know that both yoshi's island and mother 3 can be emulated on both 3ds and wii u, and vWii can run nintendont for GC games?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The answer is pretty simple: despite what Asdolo's easy injectors for 3DS may make you think it's a 10 minute job, creating a VC title is real work:
-Obtain the roms (which might be in whatever format was internally used in their time as opposed to the common emulator format, see iNes vs TNes)
-Rarely, develop a modified emulator (like the one with networking for Pokemon gen 1)
-Put them in the emulator/virtualizer's romfs (/content) or exefs (/code/*.rpx)
-Develop patch files for censoring flashing effects, Jynx's color, etc
-Create a digital manual, if you ever tried the SDK tool it's not fun at all
-Package and install the game
-Play testing, with the associated having to restart from a previous step, made more tedious by having to separate bugs in the original game from those caused by emulator and patches
-Old game but in a new edition, enjoy your licensing and age rating business crap

The profit margin on each sale is probably ridiculously high, but that's still after days of work for a product in direct competition with (legal and illegal) free emulation!

ItsMetaKnight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't understand why they don't just release their whole catalog at once. Don't they want our money? By the time the games I want to play come out on VC (if they ever do), I might already have lost interest in the console. And I'm also not buying VC games at the end of a console's lifecycle.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

You can forget about Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion because they wouldn't work with the current Nintendo controller layouts, i.e., no analogue triggers = the games wouldn't work properly.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can forget about Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion because they wouldn't work with the current Nintendo controller layouts, i.e., no analogue triggers = the games wouldn't work properly.
They better give us GCN joycon controllers. It's pretty sad that the Wii U can emulate GCN games (well with hardware emulation) but they won't bother with GCN games on the switch, which would use software emulation w/ save states, which would make Super Mario Sunshine a lot less frustrating. I even think that Wii games would also use software emulation, instead of hardware emulation, like the Wii U uses. So SMG1&2 would even be less of a pain in the ass with save states as well.

Last edited by 03bgood,
S

Saiyan Lusitano

"Joy-Con GameCubes" I like that. Let's hope Nintendo makes it happen.

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping that the Switch would have a final design. When the DS as shown for the first time, it had primitive late 80s/early 90s look to it, inspired by the Game & Watch.

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are the only person who cares about buying 10-20 year old games for ten bucks.

Just use a proper emulator + roms.

If you want to play on wii u use these in retroarch
mGBA
snes9x (not 2010!)
nestopia

Last edited by xtheman,
Reactions: SugoiEndeavor

03bgood

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are the only person who cares about buying 10-20 year old games for ten bucks.

Just use a proper emulator + roms.

If you want to play on wii u use these in retroarch
mGBA
snes9x (not 2010!)
nestopia
The emulators are awful on the 3DS, except for the GB/GBC one. (albeit the crackling sound) The NES injector is very buggy and can't even emulate StarTropics right; the items in the item boxes are invisible. How could you fuck up something that simple? I can understand if this was an issue with SNES ROMs or custom SNES VC games, since those run pretty mediocre on the o3DS, but this is NES we're talking about! Even the NES Classic's emulator is 10X better, despite some sound emulation issues.

Plus, it's a pain the ass to boot into Loadiine or Wii Mode, when I could be playing these directly from the Wii U menu. No wonder Nintendo discontinued that console and DON"T EVEN get me started on that stupid 292 game limit. The Wii U could've at least held up to the maximum of 500-600 games. I mean, only 292 games is very underwhelming. It made sense on the 3DS to only have a 300 limit, but the Wii U should've had a higher limit of (at least) 500 games, tops. I wasn't asking for 1,000 or 1,000-5,000 games tops, just more than only 292, WTF!? I hope the Switch allows you to store (at least) the maximum of 5,000 games. Even Pokemon Bank allows you to store that many Pokemon and there aren't even 1,000 Pokemon species, yet.

Last edited by 03bgood,

d12unk13astard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theres more than 10 games worthy of playing on wiiu? emulaters running on pc is the way for all the oldschool classics anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that Japan used to get like 4 VC releases like every other week right? (They even have Mother 3)

Japan doesn't deserve to be lumped in the group that gets no VC games, they should be lumped in the group of people who have an envious amount. You and most people probably wouldn't know because the tickets of a pretty large chunk of Japan games haven't been dumped and possibly might not be.

Last edited by CreAtor135,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right, I thought about updating my PS3 CFW to 4.91, but why really, everything plays fine now. I guess for people that have already updated past 4.9 it would be helpful.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Idk if online servers are still active that would be my only thought
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Thats true, personally I don't play it online at all, in fact, I deleted all wifi details on it once I installed CFW, so it won't connect and auto-update itself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I play most games that are on both PS3/360 strickly on the 360, but PS3 exclusives are really only games I play on the PS3 (You know me, I'm more of a Xbox junkie)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps3 really has no titles worth going online over nps is the only reason you'd want wifi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    what is nps?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about GTA v onl... O Yea the PS3 versión got discontinued
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I feel like the world's cheapest pc build can play gtaV
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In modern standards
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, then why mine can't?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 What is nps you mentioned?