What's up with PC games dissapointing?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by jumpman17, Nov 17, 2007.

Nov 17, 2007
  1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    My personal list of PC games I was looking forward to include:

10/30 Battlestar Galactica
    10/30 Hellgate: London
    10/30 TimeShift
    11/06 Empire Earth 3
    11/06 FEAR: Perseus Mandate
    11/06 Gears Of War
    11/06 Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
    11/09 Viva Pinata
    11/13 Need For Speed: ProStreet
    11/13 SimCity Societies
    11/13 Crysis

Now, I thought this was the best few weeks ever. So many awesome PC games to play. Then I started playing them... [​IMG]

Battlestar Galactica
    What the crap is this? I know it's not supposed to be a huge title, but I want to do more then roll and shoot the same ship over and over again in a crappy looking environment.

Hellgate: London
    What happened here? The monster designs are great. Shame the randomly generated levels use entire chunks of land to put together similar areas. How many crumbled walls with the crew in pictures frames and 3 storied houses do I need to see? Oh, and the millions of advertising posters in the subway add to the overall environment of....oh, wait, no they don't. And it would help if they had more then like, 10 different posters to display so it doesn't randomly put 5 nVidia posters side by side.

TimeShift
    Again, what happened here? There is a good game buried in this pile of crap somewhere, I can almost touch it. The trailer shows you stopping time, running up to someone, grabbing their gun, shooting like, 10 people. Starting time again, then stopping again to put a grenade or something in a tank canon and walking away all smug like. The reality? You pause time, run up to a guy, grab his gun, shoot him, time starts again because your time meter ran out, now your standing in the middle of 9 other people....hmmm...this can't end well.

Empire Earth 3
    Haven't played it yet but hear it sucks.

FEAR: Perseus Mandate

Gears Of War
    Finally! A diamond in the rough! I really have nothing bad to say about this. Brilliant port.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
    Haven't played this one yet but thankfully it sounds like it's just as good as the first one.

Viva Pinata
    Don't listen to IGN. They praise this port but it sucks. It doesn't even have widescreen support or anything larger than 1024 (or the next one up from that, there are only 3 options, that much I remember). I can hardly even run the thing in low graphics mode but I can run Gears Of War at highest everything.

Crysis
    Another fine and beautiful game. I can only run it a little below medium settings but it still looks amazing. Haven't gotten very far in it yet but I'm very impressed so far.

Need For Speed: ProStreet
    Only started this today. Not sure if I like the new direction they took. While I was tired of the "extreme"/underground style, I wish they would have gone back to something like Most Wanted. I miss the open city to drive through as you can only pick events to race on tracks as the whole idea of the game is legal street racing. I can run the thing at full graphics but it doesn't seem visually as impressive as the games before it. And when will EA Trax actually get some music that isn't the suxxors?

SimCity Societies

2. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    10/30 Battlestar Galactica

3. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    The first FEAR sucked IMO and none of those other games appeal to me either other than Gears or Crysis.

4. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    MMmm... I would really suck to have only a PC to play with.

5. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States

i loved fear how can you hate it ? !!!!!!!!!!

6. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    The problem with FEAR is it's ridiculous hardware needed to achieve max settings and still be playable. It supports at least 2048x1536 for one, which is above 1080p.

7. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but.... WHAT!?

8. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    DOS GAMES FTW!!!

9. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    My list of PC games included

-Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    -Crysis
    -Need for Speed: Pro street
    -Company of heroes: Opposing Fronts
    -Enemy territory Quake Wars

>Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    Love it, i am able to play this with decent graphics and what not and it rules. I orgasmed when i first played the demo and everything, believe it or not this is the first PC game i have ever bought. The game play is awesome and the AI move so realistically. I have a few issues with aiming because my wireless mouse is shit but apart from that they did an excellent job on this my favourite shooter to date.

*Warning Spoiler, stop reading here*
    The stealth sniper mission with captain Price absolutely ruled i loved it sneaking around then having the .50 cal sniper and blowing the guys head off and then running and killing the dogs, best mission i have ever played. And then the nuclear bomb exploding, i though it was going to be stereotypical you save the day and disarm the bomb but nop you actually die, love twists in the storyline like this. As i said i love this game, still yet to finish it. And may i ask how do you post spolier tags?
    *End spoiler, continue reading*

>Crysis
    Played the demo loved it but only manage to play this on everything low which is a disappointment but oh well it will do. Played like 10 minutes of it and so far i really like it, the suit idea is genius and really fun to play with. So far so good

>Need for Speed: Pro Street
    Finished downloading this about 2 hours ago, and played about 20 mins. So far im disappointed by it. I'm not sure what they are trying to accomplish here at all. I think it's abit to realistic considering all the previous versions of Need for Speed. And WHAT no free roaming around the city =[ that killed it for me, but drag is back in, yay. So far disappointed, i will play more of this later.

>Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
    This game is a c**t to get working if you pirated it. Took me ages but i got it working. So far loved it. I finished the original Company of heroes and thought i had to give this a go. So far im not disappointed, you get to play as the Germans in campaign mode and it is awesome. Will play more of this for sure.

>Enemy Territory Quake Wars
    Yukk. I want my bandwidth back. Enough said.

This is awesome aswell, i just finished my schooling for this year in Australia so i finally have time to game and play my DS. Huzzah.

10. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I've been asked about the AI in Crysis. While not very far into the game, and playing it on easy (don't hurt me), the AI is pretty stupid. Like, they see me from a top a hill, so they start running down, and I run up the side and they just kind of chill at the bottom as if nothing happened. But they are pretty smart about you going invisible. If you go invisible while they see you, they will shoot in your general area and when you get hit, you become visible again. So you need to run behind a building or big rock or patch of trees and turn invisible and then run somewhere while they are looking for you behind where you hid.

Also, you can shoot small trees and have them break. And they break exactly where you shoot it. So you can keep shooting down and breaking off pieces if you want or shoot the whole thing down at once. Also, if you use a turret, you can shoot down larger trees. Nothing like clearing out a whole section of trees and seeing them piled up on the ground.

11. morcar

Member morcar GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    not being funny if you cant run this now at a good rate then your pc must be crap and dont even think about running crysis cuz it might melt your comp.

another thing about pc games is if you look about 75% of the games are on the consoles as well as pc and i think this gen of consoles have been shite through and through. Only a few games have been even worth playing but they have not made me buy a next gen console (although i was given one but sold it soon after)

Pc games are far and beyond what console games are and will be for years to come just look at the 360 games that have come on to PC and you will see the games run and look better than what the 360 could ever do. a good example is gears of war where i can run it at max settings on 1600 x 1200 and it runs perfect with no skips or jumps in the gameplay. I would pick a pc for gaming before any console.

12. Taras

Member Taras I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'

United States
    The only PC game worth buying for the next 50 years is Fallout 3.

And Arcanum 2 if some producer picks up the rights.

Everything else sucks, will have insane system requirements and/or require you to turn over your OS to their DRM & anti-Cheat technology (See Blizzard's WOW latest gem). Fuck that noise.

13. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    Donno bout you , But the TimeShift Demo on my friend's PS3 was AWSOME

14. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    engima, ETQW was fun D:

15. Youkai

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Truly most new games suck bad. Especialy PC Games ...

i have to say that Gears of War really seems to be the only good game in your list ... ok i dunno about Empire Earth 3 didn't even know it was out XD
    But most of the other games really suck or are just not my taste ...

Especially Hellgate is a major letdown ... if i would have known how much i would curse this game i wouldn't have bought it.

16. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    There have been PC games that are ahead of their time however. Where no consumer-grade hardware in the world can run them with solid framerates at max settings, highest supported resolution, and full AA+AF on launch day.

17. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting anything from battlestar or empire earth. I try not to have expectations so I don't get disappointed, works pretty well [​IMG]

Cod4 is amazing
    gears of war is uber leet awesome
    orange box is awesome
    Crysis is crazy awesome!
    Need For Speed: ProStreet is pretty good.

There's been a crazy amount of good games lately. I haven't felt disappointed at all [​IMG]

18. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    theclaw, that's the way it has to be. Remember Oblivion? It's all about raising the bar.

CoD4 was AWESOME....the nuke scene...fucking epic
    Crysis is also very good
    The Orange Box is made of win
    Timeshift looks like crap, not very good
    GoW is also awesome.
    The Witcher looks great, haven't played it yet.

19. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    Oh yeah the nuke seen was epic, such a twist in the story, as i said i though it would be stereotypical you get to the bomb and in the last few seconds before detonation you disarm and save the day but nope, it explodes and you die, way cool. I also assume you played the stealth sniper mission as captain price? did you like it?. I thought it was the most awesome mission i have ever played in the CoD and MoH series.

20. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Everything about that game is epic, the ending and presentation beats BioShock and STALKER, hands down