Gaming What's up with Cave Story DS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact of the matter is that even by the terms that you people who don't believe in the actual linguistic version of "RPG" or "Role Playing Game" go by which is that the game must have some measurable growth, it still falls into it. You develop your character, and you can gain or lose 'levels', and although the character doesn't have one all of his weapons do, and the choices shape the character.

Via Wikipedia however, which many will agree with in general: "A role-playing game (RPG; often roleplaying game) is a game in which the participants assume the roles of fictional characters and collaboratively create or follow stories. "

Now, I will say that the main problem was that previously when games were just coming out there weren't really RPGs, there were mostly games like pacman or snake, that didn't have 'characters' that were personified, they just had symbols that moved back and forth and little to no text, if any it was instructional with no flavor or any character development.

RPG is a majorly obsolete 'genre' and has developed into several sub-genres, and mostly any game is RPG these days besides puzzle games, as 'story telling' is so friggin' popular now.

As for the actual history of this happening, Pixel was the creator and the game was originally planned for a specific station (SNES) but came out a bit late, so was only released for PC and was never moved. People have attempted to remake it for just about every system and you'll always see someone 'attempt' it, but it has yet to come to fruition as a commercial title. PSP already has a homebrew of it which is simply a conversion of the code, and leaves a few glitches but nothing major, as for DS, I'm pretty sure they plan on going all the way with it as they've e-mailed Pixel and have gotten full permission (although it seems that there is no real trouble in getting that). Ravenworks has indeed been taking forever however, but hopefully they will have it done soon enough, seriously.

Nethalite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I know its been a while, but after playing this game on PC. I really won't mind seeing this game on the DS. I do wonder what they will add for the touch screen if not any.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its supposed to have been cancelled due to the WiiWare game. Maybe Nicalis will do a DSiWare one too.

monopoman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that is the conundrum the definition of RPG was based off games like pen and paper D&D which fits the term perfectly.

It was never meant to be transferred over to any other game style until some people started calling new games like Dragon Warrior and Atari D&D games RPG's.

The name stuck and here we are but seriously using the technical definition makes nearly any video game a RPG. Star Fox for SNES is an RPG in this case because...

You are playing the role of Star Fox
You can pick different planetary paths.
There is a storyline though its not thrust in your face.

Thus why the term RPG has to be toned down a bit instead of just being able to apply it to 80% of any video game title.

In my humble opinion though no video game is a real RPG because of a lack of human interaction. MMO's are the ones that come closest although they still can be ruined by morons when you try to role play. (Not saying everyone should role play in a MMO just pointing out that the ones that ruin it for others on a role play server are jerks.)

So basically taking a game like Final Fantasy 4 or something there is no true involvement by the player except making a few random choices and hitting stuff with your swords/spells. This is not role playing people this is a game mocked up to resemble a real role playing game.

The day they can make AI that is so smart it might as well have human emotions/thinking and then allow you to customize and create your character to ridiculous heights is the day this might change. But since every action is predetermined and has a set path in a video game RPG its not really a true RPG.

Some may consider pen and paper D&D nerdy or something but at least with a proper group it can be a experience far beyond any video game.

JDandy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Here's how I define a RPG.

A game in which you play the role of a silent protagonist.
Because in that case, the protagonist is, in a way, "you".

Games with a non-silent protagonist are simply rollercoasters.

Second criterium is that the game has no other clear genre.

Therefore;
-Mario is not a RPG; the genre is clearly platforming
-Halo is not a RPG; the genre is clearly FPS
-Dragon Warrior is a RPG; silent protagonist, no clear other genre.
-Final Fantasy 8 is not a RPG; non-silent protagonist, no clear genre; game is a rollercoaster
-Zelda is not a RPG; silent protagonist, genre is clearly adventure
-Castlevania; adventure
-GTA; rollercoaster sandbox game

ETC ETC.

All in all anyone calling Cave Story a role playing game is applying the term too broadly.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
about your silent protagonist...
they're not all that silent anyway...
VERY often it is:
Mom: "Hi dear, how's your day?"
HERO: "..."
Mom: "Oh, you went to a friends house and had fun?"

the character they speak with repeats what the silent character said, so it's basically the same as just writing a reply for the hero...

That's my view on this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.