What's this eShop country/region nonsense ?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by pachura, Jun 11, 2011.

Jun 11, 2011
  1. pachura
    OP

Member pachura GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Why the hell Nintendo is releasing different content in US and EU ? I would understand they might have some licensing issues for games, but for game trailers ??? I thought that from marketing point of view, it's the best to reach as many potential customers as it's possible. So why aren't they showing game videos everywhere ?

And this whole eShop-payment-by-country thing ? I understand that if I switch my settings from one country to another, all the money already loaded will be lost. How stupid is that ? And what if I buy a DSiWare/Virtual Console game in France and then switch my country to Germany - will all the games I've already paid for be lost, too ?

2. Gid

Newcomer Gid Member

Italy
    No.

Anyway, you don't "lost" any money. Simply the money you have in one currency won't be changed in the other currency, that's all... If you set your previous country you'll se that the money is still there.

I agree with all the trailer bullshit.

3. sergster1

Member sergster1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No its NOT "bullshit" you do realize that to even be able to SHOW the trailers they have to be licensed by the people making whats showed off in the trailers? Plus nintendo might have to pay some sort of fee to the makers of the trailer. So before you start getting upset please think about what lengths nintendo has to go through to even show you a couple of trailers.

4. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    Except for the fact that most of the trailers are for Nintendo games.

5. pachura
    OP

No. Trailers are not content. Trailers are advertising. You think that your favourite TV channel pays advertising agencies to broadcast their commercials ? [​IMG]

6. Gid

Newcomer Gid Member

Italy
    I'm not sure about the first question (I didn't try myself since I still have 0€ on my eShop account, it was a friend of mine who tried), but I believe that in this case the 3DS wont' even notice you the change of currency, since the currency (in fact) doesn't change. I believe you can try yourself, you could always deny the disclaimer.
    As for the language question, I think the only way is to change the country. Setting UK the default language in english, setting Italy is italian and so forth. If you want to keep Belgium however I think the choices are only those that you saw in the options menu.

7. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    When you switch region, you'll have to accept the agreement again, after that the eShop will launch in your previous language, and then will present you with what will change, and if the language is something which will change, you'll be told just like currency etc.
    I've only switch to Italy and UK, the Italian one had no option to keep English, it just displayed Italian.

8. pachura
    OP

OK, thanks, this clears things a bit.

9. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The lesson here is that if you're trying to change regions to get around restrictions, you deserve the drawbacks of it [​IMG]

You have no reason to change your region to Germany if you're just visiting Germany.

10. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    What drawbacks?

11. HiroshiYamauchi

Member HiroshiYamauchi GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    Guys, i don't know about the games trailers, but i think the reason for all this mess with the Green Lantern trailer is the launch date for the movie. It's scheduled to be released in the US in June 17, but here in Brazil, the movie will hit the theaters in August 19. My 3DS country is set to Brazil and the trailer didn't showed up, so i seted it up to US and was able to download the trailer.

12. koji2009

Member koji2009 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    #1: Setting to a different country with a different language means you get downloads from that language.

#2: If you set it to a country with a different currency, you have to reload new money.