What's the worst thing that could happen if i spoof my WiiU fw?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Nekron, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Nekron
    OP

Nekron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    Greece
    So i'm considering spoofing my fw so i can play online and use loadiine at the same time but some people are saying that it's dangerous and i should not do it.So what could go wrong and should i take the risk?

2. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    Not dangerous at all. Just make sure you install the correct title for your console region.
    People are probably saying this because the spoof is 'permanent' which means you can not unspoof your console back to 5.3.2 but you can always upgrade the title to anything higher than 5.5.0.
    This has been tested and there are no negative side effects whatsoever, it's completely safe.
    And if you ever wanted to update your console to 5.5.0 you can still do so but you'll of course lose access to homebrew.

3. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    "homebrew"

Bubsy Bobcat likes this.
  4. Nekron
    OP

Nekron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    Greece
    Thanks i will do it then!

5. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    I'd say "being speared through the head by a frozen turdsicle fallen from a 747" but others may disagree.

6. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    It's not dangerous unless you screw things up yourself. However, it is not irreversible and is a permanent spoof, yet personally I don't like the idea of not having control of it and not having the option to revert back to defaults, if needed.

7. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    I don't see how any of this could have been tested and deemed safe. There isn't anything higher than 5.5.0 to test updating a spoofed system with nor is there any confirmation you can update to the real 5.5.0.

We basically do not know what the consequences are until a new firmware is released and people test updating a spoofed system.

8. Nekron
    OP

Nekron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2015
    Greece
    Should i just wait until a new fw comes out and update then if it's confirmed safe?Any ideas when a newer fw is coming out?

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    pretty sure a few people who had the spoof applied still ended up getting auto updated to real 5.5.0 via automatic updates, also it *could* have been tested by someone updating the version.bin file to 5.4.0, then updating it to 5.5.0 afterwards and seeing that the update still applied fine, basically i genuinely can't think of a reason not to do it short of paranoia that for some bizzare reason there will be some sort of hack that totally depends on your wiiu saying 5.3.2 specifically in system setting

10. DarkKaine

DarkKaine GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Netherlands
    It's just the way it works. The only thing the spoof actually does is update the 'version' title. The system menu will just show you whatever version is installed. Due to the nature of system updates, you can always upgrade any title but you cannot downgrade. People actually updated to the real 5.5.0 with the 'spoof' installed and it works without any issues other than losing homebrew functionality. As such, there are no negative side effects of spoofing unless you really feel like gimping yourself.

11. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Santa might give you nothing but coal.

12. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    No I can definitely say this happened to me the moment I put my timer to 15 minutes. Thought that this darn sucks but it is worth