What's the worst reward for 100%'ing a game?

gbatemp_banner_worst_rewards.jpg

There’s something immensely satisfying about fully perfecting a game, and uncovering all its secrets--reaching 100% completion. Whether that’s getting every map tile for 200.6% in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, or collecting the 120 Power Stars in Super Mario 64, it can feel like a huge accomplishment, especially when it’s accompanied by a shiny achievement or trophy. Some games even give players a fun little bonus for doing all that extra work, like how getting A ranks in every stage in Sonic Adventure 2 will unlock a playable 3D remake of Green Hill Zone. Not only do these rewards feel special, but they’re fantastic inclusions to give players that one last feeling of excitement before they move on to another game.

Some games, however, completely miss the mark. For example, in Assassin’s Creed 2, you’re given the optional task of collecting 100 feathers throughout the sprawling maps of Renaissance Italy. These tiny collectibles can be incredibly hard to find, and you’re never given a map marker at any point in the game, nor are you informed as to which ones you’ve already collected, which can make getting every single one a complete nightmare. Getting every feather should result in you getting an amazingly overpowered cool weapon, at least, right? Absolutely not. For all that meticulous work, you get the Auditore Cape, an equipable item that serves only to make every guard instantly aware of your actions at all times, in all areas. Your reward only makes the game more annoying to play in every aspect, which feels like a complete letdown.

And let’s not forget the entire Pokemon franchise, which tasks you with collecting every single Pokemon out there. At this point in time, that’s 898 creatures. When you do catch ‘em all, your grand prize is, in almost all cases, a “diploma”, a mere static image that says, congrats, player name, you filled the Pokedex. That’s all.
images.jpg

So, have you ever 100%’ed a game, only to be met with utter disappointment? Which game was that, and what lackluster reward did you get for all your hard work? Let us know in the comments!​

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The one that adds trophies after you 100% it, if I remember right this happened to me with Horizon Zero Dawn, they added new game plus bullshit trophies after I completed it

Reactions: Cyan

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
Not a reward, but it kind of ticks me off when games have a percentage meter on the save file, but 100% isn't actually 100%, but something like 102% or 200% is. Mostly collectathons do this, I think.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Not a reward, but it kind of ticks me off when games have a percentage meter on the save file, but 100% isn't actually 100%, but something like 102% or 200% is. Mostly collectathons do this, I think.
All Crash Bandicoot platformer titles (and Team Racing and Bash too) do it

Also Crash 4 is a nightmare to fully complete afaik

Reactions: Defective1Up

Sathya

GBAtemp Professional Poetry maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
For me the most hated things after 100%'ing game is always the Zelda series. our effort for defeating gannon always end up with no ceremony or somethings like that.. and also there is no saving progress after finishing the story. thats really SUCKS, Nintendo.

Last edited by Sathya,
Reactions: Defective1Up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over