What's the Wii U's biggest SD card capacity limit?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by kbf, Jun 22, 2017.

1. kbf
    OP

kbf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Iv'e been having difficulty finding a straight answer. I want to get one for vwii for GCN backups and was wondering where I could get the biggest/cheapest card possible.

2. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Officially 32GB, but if formatted correctly you can use any SDXC card.

3. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Jan 4, 2016
    Germany
    I've already used a 128GB SD card (FAT32 ofc), and it worked perfect. I would bet that you can use 256GB cards too.

4. kbf
    OP

kbf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Just by formatting to FAT32? and it can be microSD as well?

5. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    It can, but currently the largest MicroSD is 256GB, and you're depending on an adapter which may or may not fail.

If anyone brings up Microdia again I will punch them. There is NO 512GB MicroSD card.

6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    But what about that Microdia 512GB MicroSD card? :D

7. Maxbeta

Maxbeta Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2014
    United States
    I had a 64gb Samsung SDHC card working fine about a couple of months ago with Haxchi and all the sudden Haxchi stopped working one day and just hangs now at the white screen with the Wii U logo on the lower right. vWii stuff like Nintendont and emulators still work from the same card and adapter combo without a problem but I could never get Haxchi working properly again even after reformatting and reloading the correct folder directories.

Can someone offer any advice as to what may have happened?

8. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I have a normal-sized 256GB sd card in my system. it's never given me any problems. I have loadiine games, apps for the vWii and Wii, and even redNAND on the thing. my redNAND still works too. :P