Hacking What's The quickest and easiest way to move from SXOS to Atmosphere?

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I've stuck with SXOS simply because I didn't have to change anything and XCIs are straightforward to run.
I tried XCIs over USB and found it a bit flaky.
I don't mind reinstalling games, as frankly of the 50 or 60 games on my SD only 10 are in use with another 10 that need theirs saves preserved.
So frankly I don't need SXOS at all... (XCIs & USB loading being the main advantages)

So now it's time to bite the bullet..

I've backed up my 400gb SD which has an SXOS emunand as a file (whatever the last firmware was.. v11.0 I think) on it.
I'll use Emutool to make a 2nd copy and the savetool to backup the saves just to be safe.
I have never used the SystemNand (I only ever used the SXOS emunand) so don't need anything from it (I think it's a fairly low SysFirmware maybe 6 or 7).

I would like to setup a system that boots into a single EmuNand (as a file not a hidden partition - I find it easier for making the occasional backup).
I have kids and want to make it as easy as possible. I don't want a dual boot system.

I've searched the forums and I keep coming across guides for unhacked consoles or multi nand setups...

Whats the easiest way to convert my SXOS straight over to Atmosphere EmuNand (and update it's firmware from v11.00) ? whilst keeping my saves...

Thanks

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks.. I had seen the 1st thread.. (There's a lot of different options provided...)
I'll have a look at the other.

I forgot to specify what model I have, I'm not actually sure, however it's an early one (bought in the 1st 6months of the switch's life (is that called "Erista"?)) and it's never been online so unlikely to be banned.
The SX product is the regular SXOS (a dongle, the little insert for the joycons and a software key) SX Pro I think...
It's been so long since I modded it that I've pretty much forgotten what I did!

I have just found this

How to migrate from SXOS to Atmosphere

https://rentry.org/mys8q
https://rentry.org/EmuNANDNewSDcard

I think that has pretty much what I need, maybe someone could confirm that it would work for my needs...
Also are there any issues/pitfalls i should look to avoid?

thx

Last edited by TinyBilbo,

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yes you are on "pre-patched Erista" and the Product is "SX Pro"

I am a different case (banned) so there was no point for me to keep emunand.
Being banned makes things way more simple in this regard :)
(I still make regular NAND backups)

On your case, you might choose to stay on emuNAND or maybe recreate with a Hekate emuMMC after backing up saves. Feel free to do tour own research there. Or just chose the easy way with sysNAND (no Hekate) and risk a ban :P

notes:
1) You need sxGear v1.1 so you can keep using the same dongle.
This is a custom boot.dat file (without sxos) and a boot.ini file
Edit the boot.ini file to include the file name of payload -example: hekate_ctcaer_5.6.2.bin

2) I chose to removed auto-RCM because it is more trouble than help

3) You only need DBI app to install games with mtp responder function. Depending on your find setup, AIO Switch updater should also be helpful.

EDIT: can confirm that the links you found are the "official" guide.

Last edited by spkatsi,
Reactions: TinyBilbo

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can simply change the name of the emuNAND files and put them in the correct directory. I can't recall the details, but there was a comment somewhere on here listing the exact steps. Super simple.

ukrdigerati

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TinyBilbo, I'm in the exact same situation however I don't mind starting from a wiped SD card. I'm just starting down the research path but if you can share what you've done, or figured out is worth doing, please please share.

Edit: I forgot the mention the one time I played with atmosphere, I got it all to work, however, I never figured out the whole "4gb file limitation" issue around isos and xcis. There was a whole process around breaking them down to smaller files and I just gave up.

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.....On your case, you might choose to stay on emuNAND or maybe recreate with a Hekate emuMMC after backing up saves. Feel free to do tour own research there. Or just chose the easy way with sysNAND (no Hekate) and risk a ban :P

notes:
1) You need sxGear v1.1 so you can keep using the same dongle.
This is a custom boot.dat file (without sxos) and a boot.ini file
Edit the boot.ini file to include the file name of payload -example: hekate_ctcaer_5.6.2.bin

2) I chose to removed auto-RCM because it is more trouble than help

3) You only need DBI app to install games with mtp responder function. Depending on your find setup, AIO Switch updater should also be helpful.

EDIT: can confirm that the links you found are the "official" guide.
Thanks for the info...

You've answered pretty much exactly what I needed to know, especially about sxGear and DBI app.

Out of curiosity why did you remove AutoRCM? I've had mine enabled and not had any trouble (with SXOS rather than Atmosphere)..

Good to know I've got the right guide... Thanks :-)
You can simply change the name of the emuNAND files and put them in the correct directory. I can't recall the details, but there was a comment somewhere on here listing the exact steps. Super simple.
Thanks mate, I'll look into that... again good info :-)
TinyBilbo, I'm in the exact same situation however I don't mind starting from a wiped SD card. I'm just starting down the research path but if you can share what you've done, or figured out is worth doing, please please share.

Edit: I forgot the mention the one time I played with atmosphere, I got it all to work, however, I never figured out the whole "4gb file limitation" issue around isos and xcis. There was a whole process around breaking them down to smaller files and I just gave up.
Once I've done it (maybe tonight), I'll post a quick runthru of what I did... it may help you...

As for the 4gb file limit of fat32 you need "Switch Army Knife" which can split (and merge) files (both XCIs and NSPs)
https://github.com/dezem/SAK
I was using it to patch XCI's to run on SXOS emunand 11.00, but found that it didn't work for "Lost in Random"... Hence the need to finally move off SXOS.. (I was just being and lazy and maybe a bit hopeful that they would come back!)

ewabc886

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Thanks for the info...

You've answered pretty much exactly what I needed to know, especially about sxGear and DBI app.

Out of curiosity why did you remove AutoRCM? I've had mine enabled and not had any trouble (with SXOS rather than Atmosphere)..

Good to know I've got the right guide... Thanks :-)

Thanks mate, I'll look into that... again good info :-)

Once I've done it (maybe tonight), I'll post a quick runthru of what I did... it may help you...

As for the 4gb file limit of fat32 you need "Switch Army Knife" which can split (and merge) files (both XCIs and NSPs)
https://github.com/dezem/SAK
I was using it to patch XCI's to run on SXOS emunand 11.00, but found that it didn't work for "Lost in Random"... Hence the need to finally move off SXOS.. (I was just being and lazy and maybe a bit hopeful that they would come back!)

default Nintendo folder name for SXOS emunand should be Emutendo
default Nintendo folder name for Atmosphere emummc should be emuMMC/HPE0/Nintendo

As you has SXOS emunand in file format
1. EmuTool: migrate to Atmosphere emummc
2. Rename Emutendo to Nintendo and put it into emuMMC/HPE0 folder
If they are compatible, this will do the migrating for all your games and data
otherwise you will need to rebuild

Last edited by ewabc886,

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
default Nintendo folder name for SXOS emunand should be Emutendo
default Nintendo folder name for Atmosphere emummc should be emuMMC/HPE0/Nintendo

Thanks for reply...

When I rebuild the EmuNand is there any benefit to choosing a hidden partition?
I used the file version before, simply so that I could just shove the Sd in PC and back it up every time i added XCIs.
I'm inclined to do the same again.... unless there are some advantages...

Thx

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for reply...

When I rebuild the EmuNand is there any benefit to choosing a hidden partition?
I used the file version before, simply so that I could just shove the Sd in PC and back it up every time i added XCIs.
I'm inclined to do the same again.... unless there are some advantages...

Thx
Hidden Partition is maybe more « secure » concerning data corruption, and more « efficient « in terms of speed compared to sd files, even if being using both for years, didn’t experiment corruption or noticed slow downs.

As for backing up the emunand, using tools like nxnand manager or emutool is easy. You don’t need to remove your sd card , they both support Hekate usb mounting. (Same apply for emunand files based).

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@TinyBilbo I think for your case autorcm might be better...
You mind if you accidentally boot into ofc firmware because your console will burn fuses. I don't mind (already banned).
Additionally, I think the major issue of autorcm draining battery is now fixed (?)

Only downside remaining for me were some power related issues that my switch wasn't booting.. All fixable though after 15 seconds power button. Overall I decided that I don't mind pluging the jig when I have to plug the bootloader anyways. This is just me loving "simple" setups.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You mind if you accidentally boot into ofc firmware because your console will burn fuses. I don't mind (already banned).
Additionally, I think the major issue of autorcm draining battery is now fixed (?)

Only downside remaining for me were some power related issues that my switch wasn't booting.. All fixable though after 15 seconds power button. Overall I decided that I don't mind pluging the jig when I have to plug the bootloader anyways. This is just me loving "simple" setups.
I’m not sure AutoRcm drains the battery faster than in « normal sleep mode », but the fact is that if you leave your switch too long with AutoRcm , without charging it, (docked or plugged), you will end up with an unbootable device, needing some time to charge and inject a payload again.

TinyBilbo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I seem to remember that was the reason that I enabled, so I 'll stick with it. Thx
Hidden Partition is maybe more « secure » concerning data corruption, and more « efficient « in terms of speed compared to sd files, even if being using both for years, didn’t experiment corruption or noticed slow downs.

As for backing up the emunand, using tools like nxnand manager or emutool is easy. You don’t need to remove your sd card , they both support Hekate usb mounting. (Same apply for emunand files based).
Thanks for the info...

I've backed up my old card to my PC and thought I would test it all on another (empty) card before I wipe my old one.

I followed this guide (ignoring the Mariko and Sysnand sections)

and ewabc886's advice (in post #8) - Thanks ewabc886!

The biggest issue I had was that I couldn't boot from the SXOS dongle at first...
It turned out that the switch didn't like the way (PC) I was formatting the card to FAT32 so I used TegraRCMgui to boot the payload "TegraExplorer.bin" and format the card on the switch itself... then pop it back in the PC to copy all the files I had prepared from the guides...

I just had to hit launch and it booted into my old emunand. So I Think all is good.
I just have to get my head around some of the new options in hekate and and work out how to actually install games! (network would be nice) as well as how to update the Emunand safely to the latest firmware
Once I do that and and get a game working with it's old save I'll format the old (Large) card and copy everything to that and install the games that we're actually playing...
Actually it's quite nice to dump some of the crap that wasn't getting played and free up space for new stuff...

One thing that was mentioned in the rentry.org guide was to download sig patches (which I did).
The guide doesn't actually state that I should copy them over to the SD..
There were 2 Fusee and Hekate.
I'm guessing that I should just copy them both to the root of the SD.. Is that correct?

Thanks to everyone who replied and cleared up some confusing issues for me.... much appreciated...

Reactions: Maupiti

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to remember that was the reason that I enabled, so I 'll stick with it. Thx

Thanks for the info...

I've backed up my old card to my PC and thought I would test it all on another (empty) card before I wipe my old one.

I followed this guide (ignoring the Mariko and Sysnand sections)

and ewabc886's advice (in post #8) - Thanks ewabc886!

The biggest issue I had was that I couldn't boot from the SXOS dongle at first...
It turned out that the switch didn't like the way (PC) I was formatting the card to FAT32 so I used TegraRCMgui to boot the payload "TegraExplorer.bin" and format the card on the switch itself... then pop it back in the PC to copy all the files I had prepared from the guides...

I just had to hit launch and it booted into my old emunand. So I Think all is good.
I just have to get my head around some of the new options in hekate and and work out how to actually install games! (network would be nice) as well as how to update the Emunand safely to the latest firmware
Once I do that and and get a game working with it's old save I'll format the old (Large) card and copy everything to that and install the games that we're actually playing...
Actually it's quite nice to dump some of the crap that wasn't getting played and free up space for new stuff...

One thing that was mentioned in the rentry.org guide was to download sig patches (which I did).
The guide doesn't actually state that I should copy them over to the SD..
There were 2 Fusee and Hekate.
I'm guessing that I should just copy them both to the root of the SD.. Is that correct?

Thanks to everyone who replied and cleared up some confusing issues for me.... much appreciated...
Yes, you just put the patches on the roof of your SD card.

moler

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I know this post is a bit old, but hopefully some still follows it :) im on unpatched erista with sxpro emunand fw 11.0 ofw 9.0
just to be clear.
1. I follow the guide mentioned from rentry. cant post link due to being new user
2. I dont understand ewabc886 advise. If i migrate with emutool why do i have to rename emutendo and transfer to emuMMC?

my goal is to keep all my games and saves while moving to atmosphere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...