Hacking whats the pros and cons of trimming 3ds games?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok first off sorry if this is a dupe thread, i cant remember if a asked before.

Ok so i thought a 32 gb was enough to hold my cart rips but it isn't,when i rip my games they come full size, i plan to buy a 64gb later but in the meantime i was wondering whats the pros and cons of trimming a 3ds rip?
i dont want my headers to be removed btw, those are straight from my carts.
i ask because i was in the psp scene a while back and i know that compressing games could have negative effects on the game like loss of video/audio quality or unsuitability.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok first off sorry if this is a dupe thread, i cant remember if a asked before.

Ok so i thought a 32 gb was enough to hold my cart rips but it isn't,when i rip my games they come full size, i plan to buy a 64gb later but in the meantime i was wondering whats the pros and cons of trimming a 3ds rip?
i dont want my headers to be removed btw, those are straight from my carts.
i ask because i was in the psp scene a while back and i know that compressing games could have negative effects on the game like loss of video/audio quality or unsuitability.

Pros: Smaller size, and you save space enough to stretch our whatever micro SD you're using.

Cons: None at all, it doesn't do anything to the games whatsoever and they work exactly the same. You just can't trim card2 games like Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Tomodachi Life. Or Kingdom Hearts 3D (Not card2 but the ONLY card1 game that can't be trimmed). Not unless you use cia to 3DS converter.

but overall, you can trim all you want, before or after patching the rom with a header. It won't touch the header info.
You can use CTR (Crappy Tiny Reader) to trim/untrim roms indivisually. Or better yet, use Tokyo Rom Trimmer 3 to trim a whole batch of roms instantly.

Reactions: 2manyGames2play

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I trim Pokemon ORASXY and use on Sky3DS just fine. I just don't have the update patches because I refuse to update past 9.5.

Although, trimming ORAS doesn't really help. It just goes from 2GB to 1.75GB. Resident evil is a trim MUST. It goes from 4GB to 2GB.

Not sure if Gateway gets affected... or how that works. So always keep an original copy and test your trims first.

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP.

You'll also want to find the DL link for ROM-TOOL.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trimming ANY 4 GB game is always a must! The bigger the game, the more it will trim it seems. I even trim games that don't save much, because they work the same anyways without being broken. It's not like DS roms where some can be effected in some way.
Pokemon ORAS may save just 300 MB, but if you trim all the games, it can really save you a LOT of space for extra games. It's not about what one game saves, but what everything altogether can save.

Reactions: Osmosis

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. You can EASILY fit 31 games on a 32GB and still have free space for savedata.

KEEP AT LEAST 1-2GB FREE, you need it for Sky3DS to make savedata after you cycle to the next game. Very important if you want to backup savedata in Diskwriter. Always cycle past the game you want to backup.

Osmosis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't think trimming really hurts Card2 games. As long as you run a .3DS ROM it just strips the empty blocks out of the ROM.

Make sure you really need that 64GB before you buy it. Sky3DS only can handle 31 games per mSD. Gateway and 3DS system can use more. Highly recommend using a 128GB with a Gateway.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
For some odd reason trimming resident evil revelations breaks it too, even though it should work like every other game.

Ronhero

Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Trimming ANY 4 GB game is always a must! The bigger the game, the more it will trim it seems.
That's because 3DS cartridge memories come in powers of 2: 128MB, 256MB, 512MB, 1024MB, 2048MB and 4096MB. There are no sizes in between, so if a game is, say, 2049MB big, the manufacturer has no other choice than choosing the 4096MB cartridge.

I ask because i was in the psp scene a while back and i know that compressing games could have negative effects on the game like loss of video/audio quality or unsuitability.
On PSP, games were not actually trimmed but rather compressed, ie. converted from ISO to CSO. The compressed data had to be decompressed again, and for some games (f.e. the GTA titles) that turned out to be a problem, because with the additional step of decompression the data could not be delivered fast enough. As for cutscenes, the CSO compressor (don't know the actual name anymore) also had an option for lossy compression, so that's were that loss of quality came from.

Trimming 3DS roms, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. You just remove a few unused bytes at the end of the data, which will have no adverse effects for card1 games. Card2 games (which are just a few) store their saves on the cartridge itself and trimming leads to no space being available for the save - that's where that problem comes from. Trimming, however, is - unlike the PSP CSO compression - completely reversable, so there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure you use a good tool for it, like the Tokyo Trimmer v3.0.

Reactions: MattKimura

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It might be only for GW? I suspect Sky handles trimmed roms a bit differently

I've never actually tested KH3D, just read that you can't trim it so I've never tried

Oh, on sky3ds I'd imagine it only takes "untouched" roms (only header modifications are accepted). But I think I've heard of Sky users using trimmed roms successfully but I might be wrong

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Card2 games (which are just a few) store their saves on the cartridge itself and trimming leads to no space being available for the save - that's where that problem comes from. Trimming, however, is - unlike the PSP CSO compression - completely reversable, so there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure you use a good tool for it, like the Tokyo Trimmer v3.0.

I linked a card 2 trimmer above. Also the only irreversible trim is when you super trim and remove the updata data

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I linked a card 2 trimmer above. Also the only irreversible trim is when you super trim and remove the updata data
Nice! I think that should be in the "Tools" section, too.
Does it work by regular trimming + adding X MB to still have room for the save? If yes, how much is X?

Super trimming, btw, is not available with Tokyo Trimmer and will also lead to incompatibilities with the Sky3DS flashcart.

Kuifa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Trimming 3DS roms, on the other hand, is a completely different thing. You just remove a few unused bytes at the end of the data, which will have no adverse effects for card1 games. Card2 games (which are just a few) store their saves on the cartridge itself and trimming leads to no space being available for the save - that's where that problem comes from. Trimming, however, is - unlike the PSP CSO compression - completely reversable, so there's nothing to worry about. Just make sure you use a good tool for it, like the Tokyo Trimmer v3.0.
The CSO compression is reversable too... You can compress the ISO to CSO and decompress the CSO to ISO.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The CSO compression is reversable too... You can compress the ISO to CSO and decompress the CSO to ISO.
Not if you chose one of the lossy compression options. Also, even for lossless compression modes, it is not guaranteed that you will get bytewise the exact same file you had before (the relevant data, however, will be identical after ISO->CSO->ISO conversion).

Ronhero

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Nice! I think that should be in the "Tools" section, too.
Does it work by regular trimming + adding X MB to still have room for the save? If yes, how much is X?

Super trimming, btw, is not available with Tokyo Trimmer and will also lead to incompatibilities with the Sky3DS flashcart.

You need to have the x value save already in the card 2 game so that it is taken into account

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
forgot to mention that i have a gateway and i found this page here

3DS Trim/Super trim guide

and i only had issues with are
as MattKimura said tomodachi life
ocarina of time 3d
and dead or alive dimensions

and those were on the list of non super trim games. i wish i found that list earlier.
but i would like to see a list of all card2 games

ill try regular trim on them now
Edit: regular trim also dosent work for tomodachi life (its really a card2? i didnt know), ill leave that untouched

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: damn wifi