What's the possibility of CPS emulation?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CWar, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008
  1. CWar

Member CWar GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2003
    Recently just found out about NeoDS. I must say, the NeoGeo emulator have breathed a new life into my Nintendo DS. I can finally play my favourite NeoGeo fighting games on the road. What will complete my portable fighting game needs is CPS, Marvel vs. Capcom anyone?

But speaking in terms of hardware, is this even feasible down the line? I've never thought that NeoGeo was even possible. PlayStation wasn't even able to handle X-men vs. Street Fighter. Well, there's always PSP and GP2x.
  2. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 4, 2004
    That's actually a good question. Spec wise it's my understanding that the CPS-1 is not too different from the Sega Genesis. With Genesis emulation having come along nicely, it may be possible. I'm not sure if there would enough processing power though, the CPS CPU runs a good 30% faster which may be more than the DS can spare. A lot of new ASM code would be required, at any rate.

The CPS-2 however, which is what the game you list runs on, seems unlikely. It's similar to the CPS-1 but requires even more processing power, certainly more than the DS can provide.