Gaming What's the point of physical games?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
we saw what happened with the xbox one before launch. a company having that much control over what you bought and how you bought it is suicide.

AkitoUF

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It's all personal preference and a couple of keywords I'm going to use, you'll notice them.

1) Sense of owning: for some people including me, it's just feels nice and right to own a game physically. Being part of your little (or huge) collection. Having boxes that look nice together and all that, like when you collected cartridges back in the SNES era. The fact Switch games are actual cards instead of easily scratchable discs that will die on its own over time like all disc media is a huge plus, it's "more physical" if you get what I mean.

2)Resell value: If you hate the game you can always sell it, get money back and buy something else. You can even get more than half spent if you played for just a couple of hours or something. You can also just trade and that.

3)Some may agree some totally disagree but I feel more commited to finish and 100% my games in their physical cards. I don't feel digital games have that same kind of value.

So yeah, my main reason is solely collecting and appealing to the older age of games when we collected cartridges. I was born too late to collect SNES games (in my country SNES cartridges are expensive as HELL because resellers are the worst "It's a collectible and retro, man") but born just in time for Switch collecting.
Between spending money in digital games literally "buying air" I'd rather have a nice box with a literal physycal game card inside.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Biggest reasons for me on the Switch:
1) They can be cheaper than DD (LA noire retail physical: £15 DD: £44.99)
2) The games are not tied to my account and are more flexible e.g. sell, lend, borrow, get banned for whatever reason, etc.
3) Less storage space required even with partial downloads.

I still buy DD occasionally but only if I have to or if the price is good.

1 and 2 also apply to the other console platforms although thanks to the ‘free games’ I have allot more of them and I prefer how they handle DRM compared to Nintendo e.g. multiple consoles, device management, etc.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I like to trade in games I've beaten that I won't ever pick up again after I beat it. I also like having something to show on my shelves for my hard-earned cash. Nobody is impressed with digital game collections my dude.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought L.A. Noire from a store to have something to play on my way to Los Angeles when... surprise! Game update!

Ok it wasn't really a surprise because of the warning that was one third of the box cover.

The only reason for me to have bought the physical version of a game is that I'm sure I won't play over and over again like some other games. This means that I can just sell it in the used market and get back like half the price of what I paid for it, maybe less. Most likely less.

But I'm sure that companies are strongly against the grey market of used games, so what's the point?

Is it for collecting? Oh yes, I have so much fun collecting small game DVD boxes with nothing but a small game card inside. I have no clue, really.
I feel its when purchasing a digital game you technically dont physically own the game its all tied to an account that and collectors

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I prefer physical over digital games. Whenever I see fit, I can sell them and get some profit back.

On digital one's, not at all.

Besides, nothing compares to having the physical games for collecting.

electronrancher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Physical! What happens when Ninty decides to EOL the switch? Quite likely that CDN goes down as well.

I still play Atari carts for cryin out loud. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom