Hacking What's the latest "true" CFW?

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
By true I mean the kind you install once and forget about it. I've been out of the loop for a while and there are so many CFWs today I don't know what's what. Seems like they're all for 3000 owners

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
synce said:
By true I mean the kind you install once and forget about it. I've been out of the loop for a while and there are so many CFWs today I don't know what's what. Seems like they're all for 3000 owners
Well certain 2000's and up get Light Custom Firmwares while's the later get Full Custom Firmware.

So it's pretty much M33 or Gen for full hacks or TN or Pro for light.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
Thanks for the quick response, so just to clarify 6.20 PRO has the permanent option but not 6.35?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
synce said:
Thanks for the quick response, so just to clarify 6.20 PRO has the permanent option but not 6.35?
Yup. 6.35 is made for the latest non-currently-permanently hackable PSPs, which ship with OFW 6.30 or later.
6.20 is more compatible than 6.35, so go for that.

Obviously keep in mind that some of the oldest homebrews might have some issues with 6.20, but backup compatibility is a lot higher than the old M33/GEN/Prometheus firmwares.

EDIT: Ninja'd
frown.gif

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
as raulpica said, the 6.20 TN-HEN or the 6.20 PRO-B5 can be permanently installed on any psp with firmware 6.20. even on the go. every model
biggrin.gif

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Everybody's talking about the new firmwares in relation to the 300 and such because it's something new for them.

For older 1000/2000 users the 6.x firmwares come with a lack of PSX compatibility (no POPSloader to fix issues), so it's not as exciting.

There is a few other things too that make the 5.x hacks better, like FuSa support, but yeah, popsloader is the biggie. As soon as I get a pandora I'm installing M33. Don't know just which and how many firmwares I have to go through to get from 6.20 pro permanent to 5.00m33-6 prom-4 though, might make a thread for that myself when the time comes.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
Rydian said:
Everybody's talking about the new firmwares in relation to the 300 and such because it's something new for them.

For older 1000/2000 users the 6.x firmwares come with a lack of PSX compatibility (no POPSloader to fix issues), so it's not as exciting.

There is a few other things too that make the 5.x hacks better, like FuSa support among other things. As soon as I get a pandora I'm installing M33. Don't know just how many firmwares I have to go through to get to 5.00m33-6 prom-4 though, might make a thread for that myself when the time comes.

You know 5.50 Prome-4 is virtually the same thing as 5.00 Prome-4.

Just so you know.

Except 5.50 is based off of GEN. It's really your preference but it's easy either way, with DDC made for BOTH firmwares.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
personuser said:
As soon as I get a pandora I'm installing M33. Don't know just how many firmwares I have to go through to get to 5.00m33-6 prom-4 though, might make a thread for that myself when the time comes.
1 - Hellcat's recovery flasher to install 5.00 M33-6.
2 - Install the Prome-4 plugin.

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
personuser said:
As soon as I get a pandora I'm installing M33. Don't know just how many firmwares I have to go through to get to 5.00m33-6 prom-4 though, might make a thread for that myself when the time comes.

Why you tell him the easy way without Pandora?
tongue.gif
You should have let him deal with DDC.

No but really though uot of all the times how did I forget about Hellcat's here? All my other posts I remembered.

Yeah, you don't actually need a Pandora Personuser.

PrimusZa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
personuser said:

Let me get this straight so if I'm already on 5.00m33-6 all I need to do to get me update on my 1000 is add the Prome-4 plugin?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PrimusZa1 said:
Let me get this straight so if I'm already on 5.00m33-6 all I need to do to get me update on my 1000 is add the Prome-4 plugin?
Yes. Download the Prome-4 updater, put it on your stick, then run it from the memory stick menu, choose to update, then you can delete it off your stick.

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rydian said:

I`m in the PSP scene since the psp 1000, and I had every single model and nearly every custom firmware. I can tell you, it is the best I ever had. Tell me one official psn psx game that needs the popsloader on the pro-b5. i never had a problem with a single one. some shitty self created games dont count. the old final fantasy 8 needed like popsloader chnage after a few scenes to run on the old firmwares. had no problems so far with the new firmware and final fantasy 8 from the psn
biggrin.gif
everyone says that the popsloader is sooo important, but if you have clean psn games and the pro-b5, everything i tested works
biggrin.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
hunter291 said:
I`m in the PSP scene since the psp 1000, and I had every single model and nearly every custom firmware. I can tell you, it is the best I ever had. Tell me one official psn psx game that needs the popsloader on the pro-b5. i never had a problem with a single one.

That's because you can't use Popsloader on the Official eboots, which you'd probably be aware of if you'd be awake to the scene discussion when they were first introduced. The PSN PSX games utilise an "auto popsloader" type function that automatically fixes compatibility for you (provided you're on a firmware high enough).

Also if you think any PSX game which isn't on the PSN is crappy you really need an education in the Playstation too....

oxenh

The most unknown member of GBAtemp
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
no one have mencioned the custom firmware 6.38 me-2
so,it´s almost the same as gen CFW but with the compatbility of the 5.00 m 33 for plugins.
it´s can also run games without patch that requires ofw 6.37 or bellow, and of course work for psp 1000 and 2000(the full hackeable ones XD)

hunter291

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
xist said:
hunter291 said:
I`m in the PSP scene since the psp 1000, and I had every single model and nearly every custom firmware. I can tell you, it is the best I ever had. Tell me one official psn psx game that needs the popsloader on the pro-b5. i never had a problem with a single one.

That's because you can't use Popsloader on the Official eboots, which you'd probably be aware of if you'd be awake to the scene discussion when they were first introduced. The PSN PSX games utilise an "auto popsloader" type function that automatically fixes compatibility for you (provided you're on a firmware high enough).

Also if you think any PSX game which isn't on the PSN is crappy you really need an education in the Playstation too....

thanks for telling me that
biggrin.gif
I'm well aware of what the popsloader is
biggrin.gif
the thing is: i converterted some games on my own (for example final fantasy 8) before buying them in the PSN/if they arent available in the psn. I never had any problem with a game without using the popsloader. I can ask you other way around. Tell me one converted PSX game of you, that doesn't work on pro-b5. Answer me this, and I will acknowledge that answer
biggrin.gif

Schlupi

Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
xist said:
hunter291 said:

thanks for telling me that
biggrin.gif
I'm well aware of what the popsloader is
biggrin.gif
the thing is: i converterted some games on my own (for example final fantasy 8) before buying them in the PSN/if they arent available in the psn. I never had any problem with a game without using the popsloader. I can ask you other way around. Tell me one converted PSX game of you, that doesn't work on pro-b5. Answer me this, and I will acknowledge that answer
biggrin.gif

*SIGH*

You have had a PSP all this time and know nothing?

Working With Problems

Chrono Cross (Convert with PopstationMD. Load disc 2 first and swap to disc 1)
Colin McRae Rally 2.0 (E) (reports of freezing)
Destruction Derby 2 (Has many Problems)
Digimon World 3 (U) (crashes when entering a new area)
Digimon Rumble Arena ( has terrible lag )*
Dino Crisis (Freezes when changing to the shotgun)
Disney's Hercules (mixed results)
Dragon Warrior VII (No Text In Menus)
Fear Effect (cannot switch discs)
Fear Effect 2 (cannot switch discs)
Jade Cocoon: Legend of Tamamayu(Freezes after Intro)(Mixed results)
The Legend Of Dragoon (MultiDisc) (Freezes if you end a boss battle as a Dragoon)
Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of the Super Heroes(mixed results)
Mortal Kombat Trilogy (No Audio/Freezing issues)
Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit NTSC-U (No Music)
Parasite Eve 2 (mixed results)
Pocket Fighter (mixed results)
Pro Pinball - Timeshock! (ball leaves ghosting trail)
Rayman (mixed results)
Rayman 2 The Great Escape (mixed results)
Rogue Trip (No music)
Saga Frontier 2 (mixed results)
Silhouette Mirage (no music)
Tekken 3 (mixed results)
Tom & Jerry™ in House Trap (mixed results)
Vigilante 8 (no Music)
vigilante 8 2nd Offense (No music)
Wipeout 2097 (no music) (freeze at intro) (EU)
Wip3out (no music/needs patch)
X-Com Ufo Defense (Freezing issues)

Not Working

Brave Fencer Mushasi
Biohazard 2 Beta
Crash Compilation
Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix
Dance Dance Revolution Extra Mix
Dance Dance Revolution Konamix
Donald Duck: Goin' Quackers
Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (clipping issues)
InuYasha - A Feudal Fairy Tale
Kiricou
Lego Racers
Looney Tunes: Lost in time
One Piece Grand Battle
Resident Evil 2 Dual Shock
Road Rash 3D
Skullmonkeys
Sports Car GT
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
Wild 9

C'mon now. More than just "one game" not working, yo.

EDIT: Not trying to be mean, just saying I don't like people boasting knowledge when it's not correct.
wink.gif

Note, that some of these games (Parasite Eve, Legend Of Dragoon, Brave Fencer Musashi, and Resident Evil 2 DS for example) can have their issues fixed by using different game IDs, which some people are not aware of. it's trial and error just like on the other CFWs really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released