Whats the "flashcard" to buy now?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by blazingwolf, Mar 15, 2010.

Mar 15, 2010
  1. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Back in the day, I had an R4, was there was no reason not to with the absolutely fantastic support the R4 Team gave the R4.

Well as we all know now, the R4 team is dead and gone. I've been looking to buy a new flashcart to deal with all these issues with newer games being difficult to run on older cards, and I wanted to know whats the "new" R4. I don't really even care all about the extra fancy features, compatibility is my main priority, what is the flashcard being updated and well supported now like back when R4 was king? What flashcard maker is always releasing updates to firmware, releasing fixes for non-working games? What flashcard shows the least signs of support dying off like the R4 did?

Most importantly, if I buy a DSi flashcart, will I have any problems running it on a DSL? I'm planning to buy a DSi later on in the future, so might as well pick up a compatible flashcart now...

Thanks for any help!

2. Hax Mega

Newcomer Hax Mega Member

United States
    Well, the Acekard2i is the most like the new R4. There is amazing support for the card in terms of updates and such. DSi carts have no issues running on a DS Lite or normal DS. it's good to get an i cart just in case you decide to upgrade in the future. [​IMG]

3. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But AKAIO is a custom firmware right? So the people who make AKAIO don't actually have anything to do with the actual company that makes the cards right? That actually worries me because the coders could just decide to stop. Is the actual Acekard team good with updating their firmware?

4. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    Acekard loves that Akaio Is around, Fastest updates i've ever seen [​IMG]

5. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    Don't make 2 threads, if you puted it in the wrong section, it will be moved.

6. pcmanrules

Member pcmanrules GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    AKAIO is fine and supported by Acekard team. It's a great card all round.

7. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Not as fast as the Cyclo. Today Cyclo users are playing HG/SS with no patches and no crashing. Right now though, I'd wait for the Supercard DStwo before I bought anything.

8. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    AKAIO had HGSS working long before Cyclo

9. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Sorry but thats just not true. There's still problems and there will be untill the next Akaio update.

10. Mana94

Member Mana94 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Acekard 2i is great, so is cyclo.

11. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    you wont have any issues running a DSi flash cart on a DSl. my sister (using a dslite) borrows my flash carts (dsi ones) all the time.

I'd recommend a DSi cartridge, just 'cuz you might decide to update to a DSi someday.

AK2i or m3i zero is the best for a DSi, and cyclo is very stable and reliable for the DS lite.

M3i zero gets slower updates (but is supported by the official team) than the Ak2i. The actual Acekard team (not AKAIO) is pretty slow at releasing updates.

All in all? I'd recommend an Acekard2i, but IF someday Normatt (the developer behind AKAIO) decided to quit, you'd probably end up getting the M3i Zero later.

12. Tac 21

Member Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    acecard is cheaper the cyclo. whats the diff?

13. Gus122000

Member Gus122000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    I disagree Tim

14. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    One of the main arguments about the slower updates is that the M3 Team has to worry about updating 5 different firmwares (Kaura, Sakura, Touchpod, iTouchDS, and R4i RTS), and they all are updated around the same time.

Plus the M3i Zero gets more menu updates, while the acekard gets more game compatibility updates.

It's more of a 50/50 thing to me. If you just want games and want them fast get the acekard, if you're more patient and want things like RTS, RTG, etc. get the M3i Zero.

Off Topic A Little: The mods really should add a filter to the forums for topics like this. There's like 4 other topics on the first page of this forum asking the same question.

15. charliebrown

Newcomer charliebrown Member

United States
    I would suggest the EZ Flash Vi. I have never had any issues with anything on it, and when the 1.4 update came out on the DSi to block the flashcards, the EZ Flash team had the first fix out. They are always updating for AP fixes too.

16. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    yeh but roms load really slow compared to other cards [​IMG]

17. DeltaBurnt

United States
    Isn't that only in AKAIO 1.6 RC1?

18. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    that's true but ez flash works differently to other cards it writes saves at the next game that boots (I think)

19. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    Fraction of a second wait for me.

20. DeltaBurnt

United States
    I think you need the latest AKAIO for that problem (1.6 RC1), but it may only happen on class 2 or even class 4 microsd cards.