Whats the "flashcard" to buy now?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by blazingwolf, Mar 15, 2010.

Mar 15, 2010
  1. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Back in the day, I had an R4, was there was no reason not to with the absolutely fantastic support the R4 Team gave the R4.

Well as we all know now, the R4 team is dead and gone. I've been looking to buy a new flashcart to deal with all these issues with newer games being difficult to run on older cards, and I wanted to know whats the "new" R4. I don't really even care all about the extra fancy features, compatibility is my main priority, what is the flashcard being updated and well supported now like back when R4 was king? What flashcard maker is always releasing updates to firmware, releasing fixes for non-working games? What flashcard shows the least signs of support dying off like the R4 did?

Most importantly, if I buy a DSi flashcart, will I have any problems running it on a DSL? I'm planning to buy a DSi later on in the future, so might as well pick up a compatible flashcart now...

Thanks for any help!

2. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    Cyclo and M3, and supercard team are not looking like they are gonna give up. Acekard 2i is atm the cheapest and best solution, but if AKAIO dies, it's crap.

3. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    This. Also, yes, they will work on a DSLite.

EDIT: Let's not forget the very underrated EZ Flash Vi! [​IMG]

4. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    For DSL, CycloDS would be the best choice, but if you're intending to get a DSi, then for the moment, an Acekard 2i looks like a good bet. DSi flashcarts are backwards compatible, so if it works on DSi it should work on DS and DS Lite.

5. blazingwolf
    OP

Member blazingwolf GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Thanks for the info, just realized I might have put this in the wrong forum, oh well.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong. But AKAIO is a custom firmware right? So the people who make AKAIO don't actually have anything to do with the actual company that makes the cards right? That actually worries me because the coders could just decide to stop. Is the actual Acekard team good with updating their firmware?

6. Kinqdra

Member Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Croatia
    The acekard team still updates their firmware but not so often, and their firmware isn't that good. And yes, akaio is a custom firmware, so if Normatt and Smiths stop working on it, the acekard's not worth alot.

7. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Did nobody feel Rickrolled after reading this?

8. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    There's lots of people with Ak2's right now that can't use the new Akaio 1.6. I'm one of them so I don't really think the Acekard is the end all be all of flash cards.

9. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    I just went from a TTDS to a AK2i, so I'd go with an Acekard.

10. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Yes, AKAIO is what makes the acekard great, and if the AKAIO team should decide to quit (for whatever reason) then the acekard is as good as dead.

The official firmware is rarely updated on the acekard, so if this does concern you then the CycloDS would be a good choice, but the CycloDS will not work on a DSi.

11. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Of course if you were you then you'd go with an Acekard because that what you did. LOL

12. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    Theres some deciding factors.

1. Money, at $12 you can't beat the price of an Acekard and it can play all the latest games within weeks to days depending on the speed of updates.
    2. Features, If you want RTS, RTG, or slow motion you'll have to go with a more expensive Supercard or Cyclo.

It's like buying a car, Features=money. For my part I couldn't live without RTS.

13. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Lawl, I guess my statement didn't make sense.

I just meant I went from a TTDS (pretty much the same as R4) too an AK2i. I just got the cheapest card for the features, while I wait for the SCDS2.

14. Nathan576

Newcomer Nathan576 Advanced Member

United States
    OP, I've got your same problem. But I use an m3 ds simply not an r4. Both are dead [​IMG].