Whats the facination with Online Gaming?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Resident0, Dec 12, 2006.

Dec 12, 2006
  1. Resident0
    OP

Member Resident0 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I mean, why do so many people flock to it?

People pay hundreds of pounds on online fees, memberships, games and high quality stuff to 'play online' and all it is is a bunch of people using hacks/exploits/glitches/bugs to win without even trying.

I just got off playing PES6 and i consider myself to be one of the best players in my area, one to one, against my friends and their friends, but as soon as i take the game online i get thrashed by people using mods and hacks to win easy, like moving their entire formation up field so every kick is "offside" for me, or using the freeze glitch where you just leave the timer to rundown on the menu screen and then you have to quit out and get a loss for 'disconnecting'.

I don't understand why people want to play these sort of games, practise for hours upon hours, and all that practise goes down the toilet as soon as you go online because of people just wanting to get an easy win!

It just irritates me how many retards there are online that just want to ruin everyone elses experience, imagine how cheated you would feel if you bought a single player game like "Half Life" and the enemies could clip through walls, were invincible and killed you instantly every time, you would wanna throw the game in the trash.

What are your experiences/thoughts on what i discussed guys? [​IMG]

2. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    well most people don't realise this until they actually connect online so they'd might as well get their moneys worth I guess...

3. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I mostly agree. I don't do a lot of online gaming, so my experience is limited. But I've encountered cheating and it ruins everything. I can't even understand where the enjoyment is for the cheater.

Another thing, and this is maybe just the old codger in me, but I think the online thing has caused a major cheapening of single-player gameplay. Developers can depend on the online experience to supply the fun, so the single-player game sometimes is nothing more than a training course.

And once the online community for a game dies off, the value of that game goes with it. People are buying 20 year old games for the Wii VC because the basic concept and gameplay in those old classics are so compelling and good. But who's gonna be bothered about playing whatever was the hot-game-of-the-month on Xbox live from June 2003 in another 20 years? Unless it has a good single player game in there, its pawnshop sh_tcan fodder.

I'm not saying its all gone down the hole over this .. right now I'm having a blast with Rallisport Challenge 2 on my regular ol' Xbox. Great game, and I'll never play it online. It has great single-player content as-is. But it's one of the brighter stars in the Xbox catalog, and most will not stand the test of time so well.

4. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    i believe most are drawn to online because of a complete lack of anybody to play with in person. period
    the only draw to online for me is a full game of fear combat or BF2.
    otherwise im happy with 2-4 player in my house

WoW is a game i have witnessed take 2 people's social lives totally away. only 2 months ago did i break my friend and my brother away.
    STAY AWAY from WoW. play zelda or something

5. Resident0
    OP

Member Resident0 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I played WoW for two months solid, got bored sick and put the game away, it's still in it's case somewhere.

It's just an endless stream of fetch quests, and those piss me off enough of games like Zelda: Wind Waker!

However this friend i have online (who isn't really my friend anymore because i told her off for playing so much WoW) she's basically devoted her life to it, she has spent a solid year and a half playing and gained about two stone in weight because she can't move away from the game, she even cancelled dates with guys so she could sit in and play WoW.

I told her off about it (as a friend) and she got humpy about it and won't talk to me anymore and spends all her time with her headset on gabbing to her 'pretend friends' on WoW and she has mad mood swings whenever someone in her guild or whatever critisizes her! [​IMG]

6. AWESOME_noob

Member AWESOME_noob GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hmm.... WOW seems like a good, popular, addictive game...might 'just' give it a shot! [​IMG]

any game that can hold my interest for more than a few days MUST be worth playing..no?

7. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    I agree. I dont really see what the fuss is about in online gaming. I know im going to get slated for saying this, but it just seems like something to do for people who dont have anything else to do. I mean come on, locking yourseld away for a few months to play Warcraft, I mean, get a life!! Sure, i play Tetris DS online for 15-20 minutes at a time when i get a chance, maybe even mario kart and the 42 classics game for the DS. But if im playing multiplayer on anything, which might consist of pre pub Pro Evo 6, Virtua Tennis 2 or maybe even Mashed (try it, its amazing PS2 and XBOX i think) Give me a room full of mates and a can of beer anyday.

Flame away [​IMG]

8. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    Seriously, to get addicted to WoW you need to have non-existent will power. If you're normal, you'll just get bored and leave it, because everyone else on it is too 1337 for you (A.K.A they are the people mentioned above who spend their lives trying to get their Lv. X 'whatever') so you just get raped by them constantly.

9. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    well honesty is the best ONLINE policy!
    non-cheating n00bs are the best!!! :'D

10. Qpido

Member Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    WoW is such a lame game... [​IMG] Play it you must not!

I wish my DS would play more online games, but somehow some don't work.
    Luckily....Tetris does [​IMG] and that's the game I LOVE to play!
    Whenever I take a dump I play it!

Q~