1. KiwiDev

OP KiwiDev Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi everyone, I'm feeling nostalgic for some good ol xbox 360 games so I'm wanting to buy one, but I also wanna make backups of games I get for archival purposes. What's the best console to get that allows me to make a full backup of the game disc/downloaded games (since I have a couple on my old 360 account)? I don't know how/don't have any soldering equipment, so if there's a guide on how to without the need for it that'd be great.

Thanks!

2. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

You'll definitely need to JTAG/RGH it, but the method varies depending on the model/firmware:
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-hack-your-360.334203/

edit:

To be clear, if you use this method avoid XBL due to the banhammer, but you'll need this method if you want to do more than run backups from disc.

edit2:

For clarification, are you just interested in backing up or running them?

If it's just backing up I've heard there's a method involving just the DVD drive.

If you don't care about homebrew/non-disc based hacks, then it may be possible depending on the drive to extract the DVD key without soldering, but this will restrict you to disc based backups and no homebrew but can work with XBL last I heard.

Last edited by tech3475, May 30, 2020
  3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    If it's for archival purposes then you'll need to get a spare 360 drive and flash a 0800 firmware to it.
    Or get a X360 USB Pro V2 and a 0800 compatible drive.

Playback of such backups can be done by flashing the 360's drive and burning discs or investing in a Xkey, which allows for USB storage loading.
    Alternatively, RGHing the console will allow for disc rips (loose files, not a 1:1 copy) and internal HDD loading at the loss* of XBL connectivity.

Xbox Live is still fully operational as of 2020, multiple gameservers have closed, mostly older ones.
    Idk if you care about it but if you do, I'd suggest going with the Xkey route.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - easiest, Whats,