What's the disadvantage of D2SUN (other than update)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by snehne, Dec 16, 2008.

1. snehne

Newcomer snehne Newbie

Apr 18, 2008
    United States
    New to this so please forgive my ignorance.

Various modchip sellers typically offer D2SUN 1.53 $10-20 cheaper than other chips. Why is that?

It seems to me that it is actually better than many others -- it is switch-set, so there is no issue of different soldering if a clip is used; it also has an on/off witch.

I know D2SUN 1.53 cannot be updated by the customer. But realistically, now that the last update of the chip has been a while, i.e. it is "stablized", is there a real need to update? What has been the update history of the other DVD upgradable chips (after they've stablized)?

If there are differences in functionality/quality/etc., what are they?

I'm asking because I just got a Wii (US/NTSC) and am looking to get a modchip. I don' t know the drive chip, and don't have a screwdriver to open it yet; although I could use the "database" which tells me "50% ... ", it seems that the switch-based D2SUN is the safest bet.

My plan with the modchip consists of (1) run homebrews; and (2) back up the discs I actually own (via SD) and play them. Would D2SUN be good enough for these two tasks? I will not play games from different regions, and in the worst case if somehow I can no longer play the backups due to some Wii update (is this possible?), I'll just turn the chip off and play the original...

So do I have a reason to choose a different modchip?

Advices are appreciated.