Hacking What's the difference between haxchi/cbhc + mocha cfw and rednand?

HappyzLife

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have haxchi installed in my wii u and i boot it every time i launch the wii (i'm scared about cbhc bricks so i just use haxchi), but what's the difference between my config and having a rednand in a sd card? Should i get a 64gb sd and install rednand or it doesnt change anything?

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One has rednand, the other doesn't. No real difference other then that.

Rednand can be unbriced without hardmod and can be updated without losing hacks (assuming big N releases one).
Both getting brick and a new update is unlikely tbh. No real reason to to a get 64 gb just yet unless you already have one.

Reactions: HappyzLife

HappyzLife

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
One has rednand, the other doesn't. No real difference other then that.

Rednand can be unbriced without hardmod and can be updated without losing hacks (assuming big N releases one).
Both getting brick and a new update is unlikely tbh. No real reason to to a get 64 gb just yet unless you already have one.
Uhm thank you, but i think i'll need to get one cause the one i'm using now has not enough space to install backup games that occupy more than 2gb :/ (that's another question, can i install games without download them in the sd maybe just like the 3ds ticket files?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are only two real benefits of redNAND:
  • Brick-protection by confining all changes you make to the redNAND on your SD card, but 99.9% of people won't be doing anything risky anyway.
  • You can update redNAND without updating your sysNAND, but 5.5.1 is the latest version, and I don't think Nintendo will likely push another update before the release of the Switch anyway.
In summary, there's no real reason I can think of to use redNAND. Mocha or Haxchi on sysNAND will suffice for 99.9% of users.

can i install games without download them in the sd maybe just like the 3ds ticket files?
As of right now, no. That might be possible someday.

Last edited by Lacius,

xtheman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhm thank you, but i think i'll need to get one cause the one i'm using now has not enough space to install backup games that occupy more than 2gb :/ (that's another question, can i install games without download them in the sd maybe just like the 3ds ticket files?
At max you will only need 32 gb sd card considering the biggest wii u game is 20ish gb. (32 with dlc and updates)

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But what if they release an update? I'll take a 64gb, they're cheap
If Nintendo releases an update, then yes, you are going to want a large enough SD card for redNAND. Until then, there's no real need for redNAND, and as I said earlier, I don't think Nintendo is going to release another Wii U update.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1