What's the definitive way to play Arms?

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by IE-coRe, May 29, 2017.

?

What's the definitive way to play Arms?

1. Motion controls

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
  2. Button controls

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    I originally thought that the game was supposed to be played with motion controls only because that's what it was made for but for my third session of the global testpunch I decided to try how the pro controller works. I was surprised how much better jumping and dashing arround felt but on the other hand not being able to bend punches individually gives you a slight disadvantage. In my opinion both ways are viable options with their individual pros and cons. What do you guys think?

2. Benuno

Benuno Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2015
    Gambia, The
    You can bend your punches individually with the left and right analog stick. The only downside is that you can't move while you punch with the left arm. I think it is a bit easier for beginners to play it via non-motion controls as the arm bending can be controlled more easily. But if you are used to motion control you should even have a small advantage against "button" players :D.

3. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein Professional asshole at GBATemp

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Definitive? What means definitive?
    It depends.

If you want to win, and that is all that matters to you: Pro Controller/Buttons, it reacts faster and is more accurate.

If you want to be immersed in the experience: Motion controls, you feel the experience but it is less accurate.

4. IE-coRe
    OP

IE-coRe Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2016
    Taiwan
    By definite I mean what you would use on tournaments and other places where you'd want to be competitive. Probably that's gonna be button controls but I definitely agree that using motion controls is more immersive.

5. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't even know you could play Arms with a Pro controller. For those who've played it with one, how does it feel?

6. g00s3y

g00s3y Asshole

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Cape Coral, FL
    It was the only way I was playing it. Felt fine.

7. ramoh2o

ramoh2o Member

Newcomer
    Mar 22, 2017
    United States
    If you play competitively, button controls are just more accurate, responsive, and faster. Motion controls are fun but just not as good IMO.

8. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I only played in handheld mode with button controls, and then in 2-player splitscreen online with one Joy-Con for each player, so I didn't have a chance to try out the motion controls yet, but the button controls work well. I should have read the help pages before playing though, there were a lot of things I didn't know about that the tutorial didn't explain that could have helped me win more.
    The motion controls seem pretty simple and should work fine but I think the gimmick will wear off quickly, it's just like Wii Sports Boxing or Punch-Out Wii.

9. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    Competitively Im pretty sure motion control will take off as the definitive way, its fast and intuitive and allows for greater control of your punches to pull off sweet set ups and combos, the motion controls are very responsive and well made

Lukerz and Benuno like this.