What's the deal with the Gamecube Memory Cards and the GC Launcher

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cataphonicdisson, Feb 10, 2009.

1. cataphonicdisson
    OP

Newcomer cataphonicdisson Member

Canada
    So I searched the forums a couple of times but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer on the deal with the gamecube memory cards and Wiigator's GC backup launcher. Some people say they can load but not save, some people say only nintendo-brand cards are compatible, some people are talking about losing saves, etc. So what's the verdict? And if there is a problem, is it bein' worked on?

2. earthworm

Newcomer earthworm Advanced Member

Canada
    When I tried to use my preexisting saves from the original discs, the new games (now on a multigame disc) would not recognize the old saves. I then created new saves with the multigame disc and they seem to write and load properly. I read somewhere here on the forums that the reason behind not recognizing the old saves is because they were made under the old mios and each save is specific to the particular mios that you are using. (whether that's correct or not i don't know!) [​IMG]

3. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    I'm pretty sure its the MIOS, except that its not because of what MIOS version, but differences between the cMIOS and the regular MIOS.

If you make a new save then you'll be fine, but loading old saves if iffy.

4. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    so you can't load saves of your original games anymore (that you got before the GC backup launcher), or am I wrong cause they load from the disc channel

5. Golfman560

Member Golfman560 TheRapist.com

Antarctica
    Well any GC game after you install the cMIOS uses the cMIOS. So you may have issues. You can try though, but if it has issues loading don't try to get it working.

Also its not positive that the cMIOS is the issue.

6. herculean1982

Newcomer herculean1982 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    none of mine have had a problem, i've got multigame discs and everything. i see a lot of people saying they've got issues with it. is mine okay because i just literally did the basics? i've not messed around with softmii or cioscorp or any of that stuff.

7. Harakiri23

Newcomer Harakiri23 Member

United States
    i was unsure too - but i just bought a noname 64mb card and everything works fine - as far as i researched the problem was only when people would try to use different region games - and mostly using NTSC-J games - because japanese save games have a different character set and the memory card needed to be formated

8. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I second this, my Original Saves no longer work, The save for my Orginal and the Save for my backup are different
    its like it creates new Saves just for the backups?

Now here is some insight on the problem I have 3 different copies of Metroid Prime just Example

The Orginal Copy has its own save
    the backup Copy has its own save
    And when put on a Multi Iso it has its own save also

you can have 3 different saves for the same game, Which if i showed my Memory Card Pic you would see, Pretty weird if you ask me,

But other than that i have no problem saving or Loading Saves

9. cataphonicdisson
    OP

Newcomer cataphonicdisson Member

Canada
    I've personally had a different problem - I'm actually UNABLE to save to my memory card. It's not full or anything, it just refuses to save a file from any backed up game.

10. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I haven't really tried anything but from what I've seen official nintendo memory cards work great for this. I don't know how old saves are as I lost my memory card with the save for any of the games I've backed up.......

11. Smiths

Member Smiths AKAIO Person of Interest

United States
    Windwaker official save on gamecube:
    01-GZLE-gcZELDA.gci
    Save created on Wii via backuploader:
    01-GZLE-ZELDA.gci

Took me a bit to figure that out. But, after renaming my GC save and putting it back on the memory card, Zelda is now loading my old game save.

12. earthworm

Newcomer earthworm Advanced Member

Canada
    Ahhh....smart fix......I did notice the difference in the names of my save files.....for some reason it never occurred to me to just delete the new save and rename the old save (with the new save's name)

13. robman62

Member robman62 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I thougth by going into this topic, I was walking into an old Seinfeld joke.

14. kallstar

Newcomer kallstar Advanced Member

United States
    Everything said so far is fairly correct. Your saves differ slightly I believe from both the cMIOS' used as well as the disc layout (with of course some games not booting on a multi-disc). In addition to this however some games come up with a corrupt save error on 3rd party memory cards (Not simply filename/disc layout related) as well. (See F-Zero GX on the compatibility list "issues with corrupt save files on a FIRST-PARTY memory card every reboot? am searching gbatemp for fix info right now, will edit accordingly. No save corruption with official 1019 block memory card. ")
    The Bomberman Jitters game also seems to be doing this though since im unable to find my official nintendo memory card i cant verify if saving to it would work.

15. WiiBlaster

United States
    Well if that method doesn't work for you, cause it didn't work for me, Here is how i got my saves from my Originals to work, on the Backup Loader Fist open the save with a Hex editor or Use the same one i used and edit the following line to make the Old Saves work with the backup loader

[​IMG]

Click on Image to make Big

16. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    I noticed that launching gc games through the backup loader (Wiigators) and disk channel (waninkokos cmios) produce different savesames.

Does booting through the disk channel save the game correctly (compatible with official disks)? (because i havent extracted it to check). Or is it wrong like wigators?

17. WiiBlaster

United States
    Your Right Waninokok did get it right??? Just tried loading a Orginal Save through and it Loads Fine,
    So anyone saving problem loading Org Gc Saves just Use Wank Mios
    Through the Disc Channel by the way.

To get Org Saves working on WiiGators you must Use my Method on the other Page at the bottom, But Wan Loads them Just fine

18. Luriden

Member Luriden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Unfortunately Waninkoko's MIOS doesn't load multi game discs, unless I'm missing something. I put the disc in and go to Boot DVD and it just says to insert a disc.

19. WiiBlaster

United States
    True to use his patcher and load Multi you must load the GC launcher from the HBC and press left or right to use different game it doesn't work from the disc channel like wiigators, atleast not for me

20. Luriden

Member Luriden GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Do I load WiiGator's GC launcher from HBC? I didn't even know Waninkoko had a GC launcher for HBC, I thought his patcher only used Disc Channel.

EDIT: I tried booting Sonic Adventure DX from a multi game disc while using WiiGator's GC launcher in HBC with Wanin's MIOS installed. The game boots, but it's still not recognizing my original save file. Meh. Oh well. Hopefully there's some kind of fix coming up.