What's the currently state of NDS emulation?

Discussion in 'Computer Programming, Emulation, and Game Modding' started by MegaGenesis, May 15, 2019.

1. MegaGenesis
    OP

MegaGenesis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2018
    Brazil
    I wanto to know whats the currently best NDS emulator for modern Windows 10 PC. The game i want to run is Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (U). And yes, i already have the AP patched runs (i play them on my 3DS with TWLMenu++).
    Its been years since i used a DS emulator. last i used was DeSmuME 0.9.10 on Windows 7 Ultimate. I already know DeSmuME's last official update was 0.9.11 from 2015; No$GBA got a new update after years of hiatu (i never liked this emulator); and there's a new called MelonDS, but the compatibility thread on the official forum doesn't have any main line Pokémon game.
    Using a emulator is the easiest way to record videos for yt, better than filming my NDS or 3DS offscreen.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There are a few unofficial ports of desmume. For you the most interesting will probably be the one that increases the resolution of 3d rendering. https://gbatemp.net/threads/hi-resolution-ds-emulation.364549/

no$gba is good stuff, though as I use it a lot to hack things that is probably more why (its debug version went free at one point).

melonds seems to be up and coming, though of dubious usefulness for the basic ROM running type.

Other than this there are no emulators really worth keeping an eye on as everything else kind of stopped when desmume rose up to become the best open source emulator, and no$gba got the best debugger (especially now it is free).

3. PRAGMA

PRAGMA GBAtemp Addict

Dec 29, 2015
    Ireland
    Windows: DeSmuME + any HiRes mods (but keep an eye on MelonDS)
    Android: DraStic

4. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    NDS emulation on PC has been flawless for almost 10 years now, don't see the point in asking about it... And what's the problem with No$GBA? It's much better than desmume if you ask me.

If you want to record and all, just use No$GBA with No$Zoomer, games look great and run flawlessly while having really nice customization/debug options on top!

5. IAmRifki

IAmRifki Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2018
    Indonesia
    Yeah, right. No$GBA has some major compatibility issues, It is objectively worse than DeSmuMe, and even that emulator has some problems (a rouge dev halting compatibility and fixes for the pettiest of reasons, uses proprietary save files, etc.) MelonDS is the only saving grace we have right now.

6. ThoD

ThoD GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"

Sep 8, 2017
    Greece
    What have you tried to run that No$GBA couldn't run exactly? Because as long as you properly AP patch games, literally the only ones that won't work are the ones that use additional hardware (eg: the guitar hero game that uses the GBA slot for note input).