What's the circular speaker thing under the serial number sticker on the Original 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Joey5802, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Joey5802
    OP

Joey5802 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I remember seeing a tiny circular speaker looking thing underneath the serial number sticker on the original 3DS. There may have been two. Was this a speaker? If not, what was it?

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Cattus Incerta Tacitusque

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Can you be any more specific?

As far as I know, there are only 2 speakers on the 3ds, located on the top screen.

3. Priestiality

Priestiality GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2018
    United States
    The microphone probably.

4. Joey5802
    OP

Joey5802 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The mic was at the bottom of the 3DS, unless there were more mics under the system for some reason?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

They were two tiny, circular, silver grilles. Like speaker grilles. Underneath the sticker with the serial number on it. I'd provide a picture but I don't have an O3DS on me.

5. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    See if there's any pictures there that points to what you're referring to.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nintendo+3DS+Teardown/5029

6. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi GBAtemp Official Lolimaster

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    That's just were the plastic was injected into the mold, nothing that has a purpose or that needs to be paid attention to.

7. Thedge

Thedge Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    its probably just because of how plastic crap is made, usually they have a mold that has a small hole so they can get the plastic into it, kinda a jelly doughnut? that would be my guess, a lot of other products i have has similar things and use serial code stickers or w/e to cover them up. also it might be a way to trick people into thinking there are screws under the sticker, so if people try to open it it voids their warranty or some shit, thats what i would assume anyways. they dont serve any purpose

Last edited by Thedge, Jun 22, 2018