Hardware What's the cheapest way to find the monitor I want?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm needing a new monitor pretty soon and I've been shopping around. There are a few criteria I want to be met
1. 23-27 inches
2. 4k/120 mhz refresh
3. can rotate 90 degrees
The only thing that's close I've been able to find is this https://www.amazon.com/Dell-27-Inch...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=THTH5YWNBNATNEVWQPWJ
It was on sale a few weeks ago for under $300 and I wish I got it then, but now I would like to stockpile potential buys and watch for any of them to go on sale. Is there any website that will let me filter results? Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
trastindustries.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"3. can rotate 90 degrees"
What do you mean by that?
Some kind of automated/press button and watch it go (because they do exist), something you can mount on a swivel and use (in which case buy the swivel mount separately and make sure the screen has a VESA mount, something sadly not as prevalent as it once was, or be prepared to make something*), something that will automagically detect it is at an angle and fire a signal back to the OS (bit lazy if you ask me -- just make a shortcut but your requirements are your requirements), something that has a good vertical viewing angle because at 90 degrees the vertical angle is now your horizontal angle...

*I got caught out by that the other month. With everybody doing the work at home lark I got some nice monitors of a fairly small size and was unpleasantly surprised to see no mounts. Sheet of metal, a drill, a hack saw, some tracing paper, some bolts and a big hammer and something could be done but it is a lot more effort than 4 bolts.

Also no kind of colour requirements or latency requirements? 4K 120Hz will see you able to pick out the spots on the face of background actors in gloriously smooth motion (theoretically anyway -- I am still not sold on truly high FPS for most purposes) if you have the source material for it, however if it takes 400ms to render the image that FPS or high stakes car racing game is going to suck. On the colours thing if you fancy yourself an artist or a designer of some form then it is nice to have it the same colours on every screen you send it to, or printer doing the printer thing.

I hope you have the machine to handle it -- some HDMI will do that nowadays but there are a few that will try it on or maybe want something more than your graphics card can give (and might also want more than a cable from the dollar store), and there are a few that will be displayport only and maybe a vanishingly rare DVI 4k only but I don't think they ever did those in 120Hz.

For this sort of thing I would almost sooner go the other way and read a bunch of reviews to find a suitable model or model list and search for those on various sites. Maybe also going to have a look on the device maker site to see if they have a better model.
If you are in the US then for the most part suppliers amount to newegg and amazon for most
bestbuy+frys+other big box stores, especially as this is a screen might be worth a look.
b&h photo, they are known for more of a film and photography gear bit but part of that is editing it all together so especially if you are after a high colour reproduction.
Tiger direct might be worth a look.
ebay if you want to find a company selling their returns on there and wandering around your local shops to see if one of those has a good deal on something (generally speaking most local shops will struggle to beat the amazon-newegg combo, or just buy parts from them and sell them on to you with a markup).
You can try various shopping searches on your chosen search engines if you like.

Elsewhere in the world you get a few other vendors worth looking at. If you can read between the lines on ebay and amazon, newegg slightly less, you will hopefully find a name for a shop you can search for to get to their main site and possibly get a better price as the shops in question dodge some of the fees and hassles associated with those big sites.

If you are after the sort of fine grain search you might get when searching on an electronics component vendor then good luck with that one, and when it comes to computer parts then even when you do find such a website you have to hope whatever bored intern was copying data from the marketing sheet (which of course lies horribly) actually a) got it right and b) did not miss something and bonus c) could tell the difference between marketing terms (is it 4k120 or 120Hz 3840 × 2160 or 4K UHD, never mind 4096 × 2160 aka DCI 4K thing).

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"3. can rotate 90 degrees"
What do you mean by that?
Some kind of automated/press button and watch it go (because they do exist), something you can mount on a swivel and use (in which case buy the swivel mount separately and make sure the screen has a VESA mount, something sadly not as prevalent as it once was, or be prepared to make something*), something that will automagically detect it is at an angle and fire a signal back to the OS (bit lazy if you ask me -- just make a shortcut but your requirements are your requirements), something that has a good vertical viewing angle because at 90 degrees the vertical angle is now your horizontal angle...

*I got caught out by that the other month. With everybody doing the work at home lark I got some nice monitors of a fairly small size and was unpleasantly surprised to see no mounts. Sheet of metal, a drill, a hack saw, some tracing paper, some bolts and a big hammer and something could be done but it is a lot more effort than 4 bolts.

Also no kind of colour requirements or latency requirements? 4K 120Hz will see you able to pick out the spots on the face of background actors in gloriously smooth motion (theoretically anyway -- I am still not sold on truly high FPS for most purposes) if you have the source material for it, however if it takes 400ms to render the image that FPS or high stakes car racing game is going to suck. On the colours thing if you fancy yourself an artist or a designer of some form then it is nice to have it the same colours on every screen you send it to, or printer doing the printer thing.

I hope you have the machine to handle it -- some HDMI will do that nowadays but there are a few that will try it on or maybe want something more than your graphics card can give (and might also want more than a cable from the dollar store), and there are a few that will be displayport only and maybe a vanishingly rare DVI 4k only but I don't think they ever did those in 120Hz.

For this sort of thing I would almost sooner go the other way and read a bunch of reviews to find a suitable model or model list and search for those on various sites. Maybe also going to have a look on the device maker site to see if they have a better model.
If you are in the US then for the most part suppliers amount to newegg and amazon for most
bestbuy+frys+other big box stores, especially as this is a screen might be worth a look.
b&h photo, they are known for more of a film and photography gear bit but part of that is editing it all together so especially if you are after a high colour reproduction.
Tiger direct might be worth a look.
ebay if you want to find a company selling their returns on there and wandering around your local shops to see if one of those has a good deal on something (generally speaking most local shops will struggle to beat the amazon-newegg combo, or just buy parts from them and sell them on to you with a markup).
You can try various shopping searches on your chosen search engines if you like.

Elsewhere in the world you get a few other vendors worth looking at. If you can read between the lines on ebay and amazon, newegg slightly less, you will hopefully find a name for a shop you can search for to get to their main site and possibly get a better price as the shops in question dodge some of the fees and hassles associated with those big sites.

If you are after the sort of fine grain search you might get when searching on an electronics component vendor then good luck with that one, and when it comes to computer parts then even when you do find such a website you have to hope whatever bored intern was copying data from the marketing sheet (which of course lies horribly) actually a) got it right and b) did not miss something and bonus c) could tell the difference between marketing terms (is it 4k120 or 120Hz 3840 × 2160 or 4K UHD, never mind 4096 × 2160 aka DCI 4K thing).
I never thanked you but I just got a monitor I'm pretty pleased with thanks to your advice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQBPMJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I realized I really didn't need 4k, and decided 2k was plenty. I watched some reviews and managed to pick this up for a good price. I made sure it was VESA mountable, and it turns out the included stand allows it to be rotated 90 degrees (for coding if that helps explain my original desire. Thanks a bunch!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie: Pokémon still acts the same just feels like they tried making it into a werid anime instead of...