Whats the best....?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by IzzehO, Jun 28, 2009.

Jun 28, 2009

Whats the best....? by IzzehO at 3:15 AM (1,047 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. IzzehO
    OP

Member IzzehO GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Been in to the NDS scene for ages and never had to ask like this cause it was always easy to find. But with the wii, homebrew (and updates) seems to be released like crazy and in such short timeframes. I still haven't found a site that has a decent, updated list of essential homebrew apps. So I'll start by asking some basics. =x

Best...
    -File browser? Preferably for transferring files from NTFS to my SD card to play on mplayer CE (which doesn't support NTFS)
    -Internet browser? More for stability than options - need it for when I'm away and simply need to check web email...
    -Linux distro for wii? Just for something to screw around with [​IMG]

About it for now.. anyone can help me?

2. hartleyshc

Member hartleyshc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    File Browser. - SD Explorer (on the wii, does NOT support sdhc) For Mplayer, it has built in smb support. Just share your folder. If you want to transfer files to the card instead of streaming, use FTPii.
    Internet Browser - The Opera one is the best, and only one. No Links browser here.
    Linux - Wii-Linux, (the only linux distro for wii) based on debian (not sure what version, I assume much older, or really stripped down).

All homebrew info is @ wiibrew.org

3. IzzehO
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the reply. I meant for the filebrowser - something that could browse my NTFS formatted external hard drive (which has 950gb+ of movies/TV shows) and transfer it to my SD card (or another USB device or something). This is as Mplayer doesn't read NTFS and I don't wanna make a whole new partition and copy all my movies on to that as well...

4. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    Only GeeXbox can mount NTFS

5. IzzehO
    OP

Australia
    So there is no other homebrew out there that can do that? Are you sure you understood my question? =x

6. Midnightzak

Member Midnightzak GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Get GeeXBox for movies and then you don't have to worry about messing with your current partitions.

Use Dragon Media Player (or MPlayer CE) for music and again, no worrying about partitions.

I'm not personally aware of a file browser but I'd love for one to exist. I'd like to transfer off of my USB stick onto my 1.5TB USB HDD...

Also, 99% of the Wii homebrew is at www.wiibrew.org. That site is for 'legitimate' homebrew and doesn't contain copyrighted files. There are a few apps that do have copyrighted code and therefore can't be found on WiiBrew's site, no biggie.

7. hartleyshc

United States
    Why dont you hook it up to pc and just stream it? Like I said before, mplayer supports smb.

8. IzzehO
    OP

Australia
    Well A. Because I didn't ask for that x.x B. I won't have ready access to a computer while I'm on holidays and finally C. Because that isn't the cool way to do it....

9. hartleyshc

United States
    A. You asked for help. I'm trying to help you.
    B. I understand. Thats why I asked questions.
    C. Streaming is "cooler" than having the same file at 15 different places.

But for your issue.. I think you might be stuck with geexbox. You could transfer all of your media and then reformat the drive down to fat32 then move the videos back. I guess it depends on how bad you want to take all the media with you on your trip.