Hacking What's the best way to short Pin10 with household items?

diyrt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
All I did was use a copper wire and connected the pin 10 to the metal fins on the top and so far it has work 2 out of 3 times

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spooky. I think I'll just keep playing Hollow Knight while I wait for Atmosphère. I really just want to play emulators on my Switch, it seriously seems like it's gonna be the best emulation machine of all time. I don't give two shits about piracy or anything, the homebrew is legit what I'm excited for, so I'll hold off until there's a more reliable CFW.

You might as well go ahead with AutoRCM and Hekate. They've fixed the sleep bug, I play emulators all the time on mine with little to no problems. Hekate is basically launching an unfinished version of Atmosphere, but it works great for me, and a lot of other people here. Especially if you don't care about piracy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm probably going to give up on this for now, but it seems like stripping the ends of an RJ45 wire, screwing an end to the middle screw, and manually shorting pin10 would be the simplest temp solution so far.

Do that, then install AutoRCM. Won't have to ever worry about manually shorting pin 10 again.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, this is terrible but I've been shoving a nail file into my switch. I'm gonna need a replacement rail sooner than later but it's like $15 for a pair. I needed a replacement before I started hacking anyway, the joycons slide out too easily.

fotuwe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today I used aluminium foil mounted to the right joycon (touching pin 9+10) - took me 2 min to prepare the stripe

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the drama about damaging your system with Auto-RCM is overstated and - if you're careful not to let the system lose all battery - it's much better than aluminum foil?

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the drama about damaging your system with Auto-RCM is overstated and - if you're careful not to let the system lose all battery - it's much better than aluminum foil?
Correct. If you don't let the battery run completely dead, you should be fine. And even if you do, worst case you have to open up the Switch and unplug the battery and plug it back in. I had to do it once, I dreaded it beforehand but it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

It's much better than the aluminum foil, you no longer have to worry about jamming metal objects into your joycon rail or shorting anything that shouldn't be shorted while holding VOL UP and pressing power. I just tap the power button, and my switch is on in RCM mode (screen is blank, you can't even tell that it's on). Then send the payload over USB, and you're good to go.

Reactions: Draxzelex

sorabora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. If you don't let the battery run completely dead, you should be fine. And even if you do, worst case you have to open up the Switch and unplug the battery and plug it back in. I had to do it once, I dreaded it beforehand but it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

It's much better than the aluminum foil, you no longer have to worry about jamming metal objects into your joycon rail or shorting anything that shouldn't be shorted while holding VOL UP and pressing power. I just tap the power button, and my switch is on in RCM mode (screen is blank, you can't even tell that it's on). Then send the payload over USB, and you're good to go.

I just tried Auto-RCM (via SX OS) after using foil for the past day. When using foil, the right joycon is non-functional. Is that the case with Auto-RCM?

Thanks for your help, btw.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried Auto-RCM (via SX OS) after using foil for the past day. When using foil, the right joycon is non-functional. Is that the case with Auto-RCM?
Once Auto-RCM is installed, there's no need for foil or shorting any pins. So your right joycon should be fully functional.

If not, you probably broke something when you were using the foil.

D

Deleted User

But you have to be E X T R E M E L Y careful the Tin foil goes over the correct pins, if you short the wrong ones it's gg.
not really, the peice just has to be
A:thin enough
B: pay attention to what side your putting the tinfoil on.
As long as you pay attention to that, your fine. The only real issue is when your piece of tinfoil is too wide. but the shorter it is in width, the better. And then you just wedge it to the far left side. (pin10)

You might as well go ahead with AutoRCM and Hekate. They've fixed the sleep bug, I play emulators all the time on mine with little to no problems. Hekate is basically launching an unfinished version of Atmosphere, but it works great for me, and a lot of other people here. Especially if you don't care about piracy.

Do that, then install AutoRCM. Won't have to ever worry about manually shorting pin 10 again.
However there is problems with autorcm, as it does screw with the bct, that also means the switch won't charge correctly, and not only that, but it also screws up the battery indicator, as it likely cannot update it, giving a fake %
Not saying it won't charge at all, but it will charge in unintended ways, won't' do harm necessarily, but it is a inconvenience

Last edited by ,

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However there is problems with autorcm, as it does screw with the bct, that also means the switch won't charge correctly, and not only that, but it also screws up the battery indicator, as it likely cannot update it, giving a fake %
Not saying it won't charge at all, but it will charge in unintended ways, won't' do harm necessarily, but it is a inconvenience

Nonsense, I've been using autorcm ever since Hekate's sleep bug was fixed without a problem. Granted, that was only 18 days ago, but it works fine. As long as you've booted into Horizon OS (either stock or CFW) charging works fine and as intended.

The only time you'd have a "de-sync" problem is if you left it running in RCM without booting Horizon for a long time, or in Linux or some other payload. And in most cases that can be fixed just by leaving it on the charger for a long period of time.

There is a minor inconvenience, but if you leave your Switch in sleep mode most of the time anyway instead of turning it off it's really not a big deal at all.

D

Deleted User

Nonsense, I've been using autorcm ever since Hekate's sleep bug was fixed without a problem. Granted, that was only 18 days ago, but it works fine. As long as you've booted into Horizon OS (either stock or CFW) charging works fine and as intended.

The only time you'd have a "de-sync" problem is if you left it running in RCM without booting Horizon for a long time, or in Linux or some other payload. And in most cases that can be fixed just by leaving it on the charger for a long period of time.

There is a minor inconvenience, but if you leave your Switch in sleep mode most of the time anyway instead of turning it off it's really not a big deal at all.
Sorry but not nonsense. Got to keep up with your research friend.
So, Switch charges and does not charges in RCM. xD

The results (battery was 89%):

The switch can charge normally the battery, if the BCT is intact!
In RCM AND in hekate menu.
*BCT is the boot configuration table that autoRCM corrupts.

Tests showed that it was charging with the same current, as in Horison OS.
The current it was drawing with 89% battery, was 800mA - 1000mA, using Switch wall adapter. On PC, it was the max the hub could give.

------------------------------------

The switch cannot charge normally with a corrupt BCT (AutoRCM).
In hekate, it shows similar behavior (read below).

Extra emphasis on the "normally".

With autoRCM, basically a corrupt BCT, the switch behaves differently.
There are 2 behaviors that I saw when connecting to the switch wall charger:
  • Common - It was draining 140-250mA.
  • Common (in hekate) - 200mA - 400mA
  • Rare (normally if you connect charger after powering off from HOS) - Drain of alternating 250mA and 1000mA, with surges of 2.5A.

------------------------------------

Summary - facts:
  1. Switch can charge completely normally in RCM or Hekate with a BCT intact
    • The percent % in Horizon OS, after a RCM charge, is not fake.
  2. Switch does not charge normally with AutoRCM, a.k.a corrupt BCT.
    1. Either it charges very slowly or sometimes with a broken slow/fast/slow/fast charge pattern:
    2. Or this behavior is current taken from the USB controller or the BPMP (Nvidia's Boot and Power management processor)
    • In AutoRCM, the Charge IC probably can't update the battery calibration file and could make the percent fake.
I don't know for behavior .3 what really happens and what Switch does. This can be easily examined, by connecting a current multimeter between battery and switch and check the readings.
And this is from CTCaer, the very guy who creates the modded payloads for hekate
https://gbatemp.net/threads/permarcm-until-atmosphere.506730/page-4#post-8035760

Last edited by ,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The charging problems only occur when you leave the Switch in RCM. Indeed, the charge rate is diminished when the BCT is corrupted, but that is only when the Switch is still in RCM. It still charges fine in Horizon or sleep mode.

Reactions: RHOPKINS13
D

Deleted User

The charging problems only occur when you leave the Switch in RCM. Indeed, the charge rate is diminished when the BCT is corrupted, but that is only when the Switch is still in RCM. It still charges fine in Horizon or sleep mode.
--snipped--

CTCaer

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Btw, I've spent more than 600 hours in RCM (no AutoRCM though) and I never had any problem. (This number may actually be way bigger, because I forget my device in RCM charging).

To be true I don't really want to learn if AutoRCM can create this problem, because it's a pain in the ass to fix the battery de-sync.
(Because, privately I reconfigured, semi-reset, set battery removed/inserted bits, with many testers, but I always come to the same conclusion; the fix needs both a hw fuel gauge ic reset and horizon fuel gauge cache reset.)

Anyway, what's really happening with this, you'll learn with the new hekate version.
(I'll just only say that my console can easily reach 1.5A charging in RCM with no AutoRCM).

Reactions: P4wn4g3

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fellas
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    would you rather have a 9-5 desk job with poor pay or work for an intergalactic space militia with no guarantee of being paid?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: basically, normal boring job or halo and/or helldivers irl