1. Ericjwg

OP Ericjwg GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    Yesterday night, I installed a 128GB MSATA III SSD to my laptop and try to set it as the primary drive.

I have tried to clone the OS with this tool: http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html
    and there are a few problems after the clone job is done: the SSD doesn't show up in the bios menu with UEFI mode:wacko:, and in legacy mode, I can't even boot into win10 from either of them...:cry:

upload_2016-1-8_14-20-57.png
    (the screenshot took before clone, and I formatted SSD after I find out the clone doesn't work properly.)

I know it's possible to setup the ssd with a fresh install, but I don't want to download those update patches for win10, and reinstall everything....:sad:

please help.

edit: randomly doing some stuff.....
    the ssd magically shows up in bios setting.....

Last edited by Ericjwg, Jan 8, 2016
  2. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish
    Former Staff

Japan
    Personally I'd probably give EaseUS Partition Master a try to see if you can get it to work that way, but the best choice would be to do a proper reinstall.

3. Ericjwg

Canada
    thanks, I will try it now.:shy:

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

I've used Aomei disk cloning successfully several times in the last month to upgrade a HDD to SSD. It's shareware, so free to use but to unlock certain features (like system cloning, as opposed to simple drive cloning) it requires you to post a few lines advertising it in a forum/blog/social media site and link the url. I did that with my GBATemp blog and promptly deleted it after the feature was unlocked.

Edit: to get a drive to boot in UEFI mode, it has to be formatted with GPT (not MBR). I think it also needs a couple specific files somewhere (efi.boot or something like that, I forget). You may also need to check your BIOS settings that Secure Boot is disabled. The best way to get UEFI mode working with Windows is to clean install it on a blank GPT formatted drive. You can then migrate your apps/settings in (e.g. Make a backup or save state before you start).

Last edited by Originality, Jan 8, 2016
  5. Ericjwg

Canada
    thanks!
    somehow I abled the ssd in UEFI mode about 3 hours ago....

Originality likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - partitions, migrate, Whats