What's the best way to get Youtube vids on DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by IxthusTiger, Nov 19, 2006.

Nov 19, 2006
  1. IxthusTiger
    OP

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    How do I get FLV to DPG for Moonshell?

2. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you need to get flv to avi/mpg/ect then to dpg

3. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    snag the flv vid at keepvid.com using youtube link

convert to avi using riva flv encoder (rivavx.com - its freeware)

the convert the avi to dpg using batchdpg

4. IxthusTiger
    OP

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    How do I convert the flv to avi with the riva encoder? It looks like its just * -> flv

5. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    You can use this freeware program, downloads &
    converts youtube, Google… to Avi or Mpg.

Get the English ver.
    _http://tinyurl.com/h5s2h

6. Hanafuda

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States

switch the extension of the output file to .avi - that's it

edit: I mean change output extension to .avi BEFORE executing the encoding, not after its already done.

7. lurker

Newcomer lurker Member

You know, the Moonshell DPG convertor can convert from .flv out of the box... (or out of the file, in this case).

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    FLV video huh, quote from my upcoming DPG authoring guide:
    Before going on it is worth mentioning that google video often allows you to download the original file so be sure to look and see if you can do that first.
    Over the last few years there sprang up several video sites that use flash video to distribute their video, arguably the most popular of these is Youtube.
    Youtube uses flash video (given the flv extension) and it is usually well suited to conversion for the DS (sizes are similar, video is rarely interlaced, suitable framerates often used).
    To convert this sort of video you will need two things:
    1) A way to grab the video:
    Firefox is the way to go here and there exists quite a few plugins to do the job:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/search.php?q=you...e=E&app=firefox
    There are about 10 different ones available with videodownloader and unplug being my favourite.

2) A splitter and codecs to enable you to play it back (there does exist seperate players but this is a good method):
    Gabest (author of media player classic amongst other things) comes to the rescue with FLV splitter:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303
    If you have not installed a splitter/codec manually before it can be done using the CCCP insurgent:
    http://www.cccp-project.net/
    FFDshow (linked with CCCP Insurgent above) can be used to decode FLV video although media player classic has some support for decoding FLV (under codecs set FLV1 to be decoded with libavcodec).

Using the both of these you are now able to download and watch flash video from youtube style sites, a nice added bonus is you can now use the post processing features of things like FFDShow (you may wish to turn these off when it comes to re-encoding, especially if you are using other improvement filters).
    You will need to use AVIsynth’s directshowsource to enable you to open it and you will need to set FPS=something (it is best to use the original frame rate which can be found out from the options available in media players, graphedit or simply GSpot) and convertFPS=true in the options for it.
    It is also a wise idea to resample the audio en route to either 48 kHz or another typical value 32kHz or above or you will probably end up failing to re-encode (if you can using avisynth’s killaudio() and then dubbing the original audio is a good way to go for youtube uses mono MP3 @ 22050 Hz and 64kbps which usually sounds awful to say the least).
    A lot of the time flv video will not be mod8 or mod16 (dimensions a multiple of 8 or 16) so you will either have to use addborders or crop to get it to size, using crop is probably the best method as most codecs have difficulty with black borders appearing halfway through a block.

Although you can avoid using it some may want a flv demuxer:
    http://www.moitah.net/#FLVExtract

9. MrLucky

Newcomer MrLucky Member

United Kingdom
    Heh, thanks;
    I finally got this on my DS =D