The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
While repairing my New 3ds Xl i fucked and broke a connector. So now I traded having a functional home,Zl,Zr,L,L buttons for working d pad ( not my finest moment but being over worked and stress does that). Wanting to know whats the best way to back up my saves, games, and files. I figure Checkpoint will do fine for save data after i dump my existing games on my sd card then back up to my pc. But files like mods for ssb3d and fixes for fe games will have to be put back in the same spot? Or (I which highly doubt) can i just put my sd card in it and that stuff will work fine.
( really just don’t want to lose my fe saves)

As always I appreciate any reply and do my best to reply asap (but am tired as af from so it may be a bit)

Attachments

• 9E9A87BD-9887-42F3-A4F7-8D28FEAAAFE1.jpeg
    9E9A87BD-9887-42F3-A4F7-8D28FEAAAFE1.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 46

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I Would try to dump all important stuff like your games and dlc to cia. for reinstalling every time also on another 3ds system. Backing up the savefiles like u did.
Check here: dumping titles
U also can make a Nand backup
With Mods im out. In worst case u have to get them, reinstall/put them in the right place how u did the first time.

U can also make a fullbackup off your card, but it is only usable on the 3ds where it was created. Exceptional data/files then can every time modified by copy and paste.
Backing your hole card up as 1:1 copy or make a image with win32diskimager. U can flash it the back on a new sd csrd if needed.

Best way from the beginning would be, like i handle it. I created a Original clean Nand Backup. Next a Backup with all relayed basestuff/homebrewof the SD Card. And everything special like games/dlc seperate backed up as cia on my NAS.

Last edited by Sypherone,

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
I Would try to dump all important stuff like your games and dlc to cia. for reinstalling every time also on another 3ds system. Backing up the savefiles like u did.
Check here: dumping titles
U also can make a Nand backup
With Mods im out. In worst case u have to get them, reinstall/put them in the right place how u did the first time.

U can also make a fullbackup off your card, but it is only usable on the 3ds where it was created. Exceptional data/files then can every time modified by copy and paste.
Backing your hole card up as 1:1 copy or make a image with win32diskimager. U can flash it the back on a new sd csrd if needed.

Best way from the beginning would be, like i handle it. I created a Original clean Nand Backup. Next a Backup with all relayed basestuff/homebrewof the SD Card. And everything special like games/dlc seperate backed up as cia on my NAS.
Sorry just got off work. We close at 10pm and had a group come in at 9:40pm and stay for 50 minutes. I’m tired as fuck but i think I understand. I’m going to start backing up my files bc it’ll be a awhile till i get another 3ds and if im going to get another one im not gonna cheap out again. Bought a 2ds off ebay from a seller with good reviews looked at the pictures looked great. Disclaimer said product will not be one to one with the images. (Wasted 90$ on a 2ds that had no circle pad cover what seemed and looked like earwax in each of the buttons and dpad that would turn off when placed softly).
Cleaned it but use it for work. So only thing on its the pokemon pearl and it’s in Japanese

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 40

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as the unit is mostly functional, why not just do a System Transfer when you get a new one? (Note that you cannot do a System Transfer from a New 3DS/2DS to an "old" 3DS/2DS.) You will need to install CFW on your new unit and run Faketik after the transfer, but otherwise everything on your SD card should work fine.

Of course, you will probably want to backup everything for good measure anyway.

But files like mods for ssb3d and fixes for fe games will have to be put back in the same spot?
Why not just re-install them the same way you installed them in the first place, if it comes to that?

Checkpoint is fine for that.

The only thing that is particularly difficult to transfer without doing a System Transfer is Mii Plaza data. This is stored in the NAND and on the SD card in a way that has never been adequately explored. While you can back up your entire NAND, there is no guarantee that you can manually restore the Mii Plaza data from there onto another unit.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
While repairing my New 3ds Xl i fucked and broke a connector. So now I traded having a functional home,Zl,Zr,L,L buttons for working d pad ( not my finest moment but being over worked and stress does that). Wanting to know whats the best way to back up my saves, games, and files. I figure Checkpoint will do fine for save data after i dump my existing games on my sd card then back up to my pc. But files like mods for ssb3d and fixes for fe games will have to be put back in the same spot? Or (I which highly doubt) can i just put my sd card in it and that stuff will work fine.

As always I appreciate any reply and do my best to reply asap (but am tired as af from so it may be a bit)
If you mean LayeredFS mods they just have to be put back in the same spot (and game patching enabled in Luma settings)

Reactions: The_Monado_Satyr

The_Monado_Satyr

OP
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
United States
As long as the unit is mostly functional, why not just do a System Transfer when you get a new one? (Note that you cannot do a System Transfer from a New 3DS/2DS to an "old" 3DS/2DS.) You will need to install CFW on your new unit and run Faketik after the transfer, but otherwise everything on your SD card should work fine.

Of course, you will probably want to backup everything for good measure anyway.

Why not just re-install them the same way you installed them in the first place, if it comes to that?

Checkpoint is fine for that.

The only thing that is particularly difficult to transfer without doing a System Transfer is Mii Plaza data. This is stored in the NAND and on the SD card in a way that has never been adequately explored. While you can back up your entire NAND, there is no guarantee that you can manually restore the Mii Plaza data from there onto another unit.
1. sweet didn't know that.

2.I legit don't know most of the mods I installed for smash 3ds and that took my about a week to figure out after i stopped over thinking it. I get lost in the files but knowing me i probly still have the mods on my pc somewhere so i could try to match the names on mods i think i downloaded.

3. few i knew backing up my saves alot would come in clutch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended