What's the best setup for gba and ds games?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Shockwav, Aug 25, 2009.

Aug 25, 2009
  1. Shockwav
    OP

Newcomer Shockwav Newbie

United States
    I used to have a ds lite with m3 simply and i have been out of the loop for quite some time. Now wanting to get back to some ds games, i have searched and read some topics and i have come down to these two choices, the acekard2 and ezflash 3+1. so the question is, are these the absolute best option out there? I've heard there are some saving issues with the ezflash or something, is that true?

what i want is to be able to have a huge library of ds games and gba. i didn't find anything about the capacity of games that they both can hold.

if you guys have any other suggestions that are better than the ones i chose, please post them.

thanks

2. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    ak2 + AKAIO is the best for DS gaming purpose
    it supports SDHC [​IMG]
    as far as i know it works great for some of them that are using microsd 16GB

as for GBA... i can't help since i don't own any slot2
    but many of my friends they use ezflash3in1

3. xoinx

Member xoinx GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    ezflash 3-in-1 is pretty much the most convenient slot2 card you can find right now. using rudolf's gbaexploader, you can load gba games either onto the nor ram, or psram. the former is more or less permanent storage, and once the game is copied to it, it functions like a gba cart, i.e. put it into the ds directly without a slot1 card and it will run the game directly. the downside is that copying roms on to it takes 2-5 min depending on the size of the rom. the latter loads much faster,

4. xylos

Member xylos GBAtemp Regular

United States
    CycloDS and the EzFlash V 3-in-1 would be a very good choice to go with especially since the Cyclo is constantly updated for more than just game fixes but also some pretty nifty GUI features!

And did I mention there is no need for Rudolphs loader as the CycloDS Evolution can load GBA games natively to the expansion pak?

5. MissingNo._

Member MissingNo._ aka MissingNoL

United States
    I use the Acekard 2i and EZFlash 3-in-1 Plus (+), too! I say it works great, especially when I use AKAIO. AKAIO is better than the original Acekard 2i firmware. And GBAExploader is not as great when compared to using the AKAIO GBA loader and stuff.

There are some saving issues with the EZFlash 3-in-1 (+), but It's usually only when the battery is low or dead. There is a topic here that shows you how to change it's battery, can't find it though. However, another saving issue is with the Acekard 2i and EZFlash 3-in-1 Plus (+) and using the AKAIO firmware. After playing a GBA game, if you turn it off and then back on, when you go into the Acekard 2i AKAIO menu, It'll ask if you want to save the .GBA game you were playing last. If you have the pack in, It'll be no problem. But, if you have it out, It'll ask the same question, and if you choose yes, It'll try to save the game, but since the EXFlash 3-in-1 Plus (+) is out, It won't save anything. It will actually keep the save on the card but erase all the stuff contained in the save file, leading you to start over.

EDIT: Typo

EDIT 2: Addition

6. Shockwav
    OP

Newcomer Shockwav Newbie

United States
    i was looking at youtube videos of gba gameplay and i notice that it doesn't do fullscreen, as there is some kind of background border. can you change that to black so it would blend much better, like the classic sp?

7. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Most cards that do the border simply have a "border.bmp" file somewhere in the system folder that you can either replace or remove.

8. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    I'd say Acekard 2.1 and EZ Flash 3 in 1 is the best.

9. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    Actually most Flashacarts have the RTS feature and the feature to play gba games from slot-2... I would say Acekard 2...

10. personager

Member personager GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom

11. kiwovo

Member kiwovo GBAtemp Regular

Israel
    I don't understand the 3in1 gba load thing..
    can i actully transfer a game into the 3in1 slot 2 thingy and run a gba without my cyclods??!
    that's what i understood from this-
    xoinx:
    ezflash 3-in-1 is pretty much the most convenient slot2 card you can find right now. using rudolf's gbaexploader, you can load gba games either onto the nor ram, or psram. the former is more or less permanent storage, and once the game is copied to it, it functions like a gba cart, i.e. put it into the ds directly without a slot1 card and it will run the game directly. the downside is that copying roms on to it takes 2-5 min depending on the size of the rom. the latter loads much faster,

12. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Yes. When highlighting a GBA game on the CycloDS menu, press select. It will ask you whether to boot the game from PSRAM or NOR. Choose NOR and when you start the game it will be flashed into the 3-in-1's NOR memory. This means from now on (until you flash the NOR with something else) your DS will recognise your 3-in-1 as a normal GBA game and you can start the game from the DS main menu.

The problem is that if you start it from the DS's menu, it sometimes won't save properly, so even if you have flashed a game to NOR you should start it from the CycloDS's menu every time.

Also, NOR takes ages to flash, unlike PSRAM, so if you intend to switch games often it's not recommended.