Hacking What's the best option to buy? Internal HDD or external HDD?

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello guys, yesterday I bought a new PS4 slim below 5.05 (so happy)!

But now I'm going to buy a either a external HDD or an internal HDD... Which one do you think is "better"?

On my jailbroken PS3 I actually bought both of them :/
Internal 500GB and external 2TB.

Oh and one more question, what is max Terabyte a PS4 can handle (internal)? Is 2TB max? Also when if I buy a internal HDD, is there anything I should do before I jailbreak it? :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For 2.5 hdd, 2tb is the size limit for internal hdd, for 3.5 hdd you can go up to 8TB but you need a databank enclosure which use like 3 amperes, and external 3.5 hdd require power supply. Databank ain't really good. For new hdd, you have to reinstall system software using the 5.05 recovery file.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For 2.5 hdd, 2tb is the size limit for internal hdd, for 3.5 hdd you can go up to 8TB but you need a databank enclosure which use like 3 amperes, and external 3.5 hdd require power supply. Databank ain't really good. For new hdd, you have to reinstall system software using the 5.05 recovery file.

Ahhhh now I understand! Thank you! I think I will go with 2TB instead. It sounds very "messy" to have a databank. I like when everything is simple. BTW how many games can a 2TB fit?

Also from where can I download the system software? I've seen like 5 different webpages from this forum :/
For instance this one: https://darthsternie.bplaced.net/ps4.html

Should I get the official firmware or the recovery firmware? :)

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh now I understand! Thank you! I think I will go with 2TB instead. It sounds very "messy" to have a databank. I like when everything is simple. BTW how many games can a 2TB fit?

Also from where can I download the system software? I've seen like 5 different webpages from this forum :/

For new internal hdd you need recovery, amount of games depending on games size and updates you install. If you just install games and no updates for game you can get around 40ish games if the games was around 40gb or so. So it vary.

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
For new internal hdd you need recovery, amount of games depending on games size and updates you install. If you just install games and no updates for game you can get around 40ish games if the games was around 40gb or so. So it vary.
Thank you very much! You answered all my questions I had! :D
40ish games is still good! Better than nothing :)

magico29

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

use 2tb internal baby,will be better.no point to use external if you need to have games installed on internal also,so make no sense to me and thats why i use a 2tb internal( i have a 4tb external also)

Last edited by magico29,

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
use 2tb internal baby,will be better.no point to use external if you need to have games installed on internal also,so make no sense to me and thats why i use a 2tb internal( i have a 4tb external also)
But can I put a game on the external HDD and then transfer that file to the internal to then be able to install the game? :)

Naxster

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
You can install games off external hdd that is formatted exfat.

Sweet, thank you! :)

Why not use an external? What's the downside?
To be honest, nothing. I've just read that If you buy a internal HDD, it will load the game faster. :/
And this Internal HDD I'm might buy is a SSHD, it's like a combination of both SSD and a HDD.. Like a hybrid.
Here is the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1UQQT5

So can for instance buy this external HDD and play the games from it?
I remember from PS3 that you had to install some games internal to be able to run it, even though the game is in a external HDD. That's why I bought both external and internal HDD for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA4000400/dp/B017KE8OG0

:)

Reactions: Mylink5

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Internal use SATA 2, while external use USB 3.0. In theory internal is a bit faster but negligible. But if you have a fast internal SSHD or SSD, it will also increase boot time and load time of system tiles, since the OS is installed on the internal drive.

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Sweet, thank you! :)

To be honest, nothing. I've just read that If you buy a internal HDD, it will load the game faster. :/
And this Internal HDD I'm might buy is a SSHD, it's like a combination of both SSD and a HDD.. Like a hybrid.
Here is the link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1UQQT5

So can for instance buy this external HDD and play the games from it?
I remember from PS3 that you had to install some games internal to be able to run it, even though the game is in a external HDD. That's why I bought both external and internal HDD for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Portable-External-STEA4000400/dp/B017KE8OG0

:)
Oh I see! I m probably buying an external to avoid installation etc. I read good things about the ones you listed when searching for storage for my PC!

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but will all backups run from an external drive? or is this like ps3 days where some games need to be installed to the internal HDD

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
go internal 2tb (should suffice you unless you want the whole friggin ps4 library..)
im fine with my pros 1tb internal.
i dont think i'll need more , as i dont really want all the games.

im picky as hell.

Migoma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not the best solution for all configurations but I double side taped a 4tb external hdd to the back of my pro and connected with a sata extension from amazon image-20180527_191705.jpg 20180528_103834.jpg 20180528_103847.jpg

Reactions: quazimojo

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom

2TB is not the limit: 8TB has been proven to work (but not fit) internally.

8TB internal 8TB external.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Internal use SATA 2, while external use USB 3.0. In theory internal is a bit faster but negligible. But if you have a fast internal SSHD or SSD, it will also increase boot time and load time of system tiles, since the OS is installed on the internal drive.
SSHDs are overpriced and mostly pointless.

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SSHDs are overpriced and mostly pointless.
How about some concrete numbers to prove what you said?

- 1TB SSHD costs 54€ in my country, while 1TB HDD costs 40€. More expensive? Sure. Overpriced? Not even close.
- SSHD compared to the default 5400rpm HDD should cut load times almost by 1/3. Pointless?

Last edited by windhazard,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes