What's the best NES emulator for PC?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Rayder, May 11, 2008.

May 11, 2008
  1. Rayder
    OP

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    As the title says, which NES emu is the best, as in plays the most ROMs without hassle, for the PC. I know there's about a dozen different ones or more, but which one "just works"?

In the past, I used NESticle......and right now I use RockNES, but both of those won't play some certain games. Which is why I'm asking.

2. distorted.freque

Member distorted.freque I'm getting mixed signals here!

Canada
    I always use ZSNES...but I don't know if that actually plays NES games. D: Nope...doesn't work.

3. Roamin64

Newcomer Roamin64 Member

Canada
    I would recommend FCE ultra

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    The usual method is the emulator did not emulate something precisely which one or two roms do not get along with. Speed, inaccurate documentation, "piracy" concerns, a simple error in programming and a whole host of other things can/have been blamed.

MAME/MESS is usually fairly accurate. I will leave it to you to find a frontend you like.

5. doom5

Newcomer doom5 Member

United States
    Nestopia is the best NES emulator; it's the most accurate emulator out there, and is still being updated.

FCE Ultra is garbage in comparison.

6. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I'm going to second NEStopia as that sucker by far is the most accurate, lots of customization, lots of 'NES' accessories are supported, massive memory mapper line-up, and as already stated...still updated.

FCEU is kind of a distant second really and I don't think it's actively updated anymore, maybe screwed around with by random people with random versions but that's no good.

7. Rayder
    OP

United States
    NEStopia eh? Hmm.....I'll give it a look. I tried FCE ultra and it would crash saying something about a secondary layer error or some crap like that.

Thanks everyone! [​IMG]

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I like Jnes because the way it handles input devices

9. airpirate545

Member airpirate545 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I always used Nessie because it was simple. I hate complicated emulators with all these extra options i will probably never use.

10. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    NEStopia may have 'options' but out of the box setup will work just fine for the biggest of idiots. Just load rom and go basically. (Basically because time number 1 you need to setup your gamepad/keyboard how you like.) I don't even think you need to setup for zapper as the mouse just works as it.

11. Javacat

Member Javacat GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm going to go with Nestopia as well. It's one of the few emulators that will play Elite properly, which makes it instant win [​IMG]

Edit: oops, sorry about the post bump.. wasn't paying attention to the dates [​IMG]

12. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Taking advantage that the topic got bumped, I'll throw mine's opinion in too [​IMG]

I use NEStopia lately. It's a good emulator. But before it, I used VirtuaNES. It rocked a lot. They're pretty similiar, to say the truth.

Maybe I'll go back to it one day... Dunno yet. The main version it's not being updated, but there's something like VirtuaNESex out there that's still getting updates and it supports a lot of strange mappers that other emus don't support yet.

So... if a game crashes with NEStopia, go with VirtuaNES [​IMG]

13. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Nestopia is the best.When you first download it the colors for games are dull because its on a normal setting.You can go to the settings,and adjust the color and make it sexy bright and sexy looking.The best snes emulator would be Snes9x,and before somebody says "Snes9x"has bugs and the sound is horrible.Well that is the result of the latest version.The version before it is perfect and is better than Zsnes.Zsnes is if you want to play the game without interupptions,but Snes9x is if you are multi-tasking.I am playing Chrono Trigger with Snes9x right now. [​IMG]

14. Rayder
    OP

United States
    NEStopia seems to work pretty well. I had to dork around with it to get a completely full screen with no borders, but i finally did.

15. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    Nestopia is alright. I personally prefer FCEU Ultra because Nestopia sometimes gives me flashing sprites on some games and sections of the screen that should be cut off. Nessie is fine too.