Homebrew What's the best method to copy files (CIA) to SD card after CFW is installed?

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the best/fastest method of copying files from a network drive to the SD card so they can be installed (i.e. CIA files using FBI, etc).

It's a pain of a pain to have to unscrew the N3DS to remove the SD card and insert it into the PC.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use the microSD management for smaller stuff. I'm way too impatient for anything bigger, let alone even with socket punch which is painfully slow. I take out microsd for that. Just don't screw in the backplate, it holds anyway.

Reactions: Nightwinter

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These are my approx speeds...

card reader= 22mb/s
microsd management= 2.4mb/s
ftp-3ds.cia = 300kb/s

So yeah, unscrewing the back is the only sane way if it's anything over a few hundred mb.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
For small files I use FTBrony, but if I'm moving a file that's above like 50 meg and I want it quick, I'll get the microSD out. Like @wurstpistole said, don't screw on the backplate (in fact, my screws loosened completely, but I'm actually happy they did cause now I can slide it off REALLY easily yet it's not lose at all unless I intentionally try to get it off :P)

Fureshyu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if I'm using a mac and I want to use the micro SD manager app? I heard there was a program for Mac to be able to connect with the microsd manager but I can't find it anymore.

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
socket punch which is painfully slow.
I used SocketPunch to install Smash Bros. on my O3DS. It took roughly the same amount of time (give or take two or three minutes) to install it that way as it would installing it from the SD card.
What class is your SD card? Mine's a class 4. AKA slow as hell. Copying a large CIA file to my SD card takes upwards of 10 minutes. I skipped that additional 10 minutes with SocketPunch. It's also worth noting my PC is wired to the router and our router is, iirc, capable of at least 150 Mb/s speeds over WiFi. So in theory, I should be able to send the CIA file across the network to my 3DS for installation at more than 4 MB/s. But, of course, my SD card's max write speed is 4 MB/s.

I could also just be delusional in thinking a faster SD card would improve the install time from SocketPunch to the 3DS. If I was able, I'd happily test it out with differing network and SD card speeds. Unfortunately, I am not able, so I cannot. lol

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the screw have to stay on the n3ds for the back to stay on or can it be out without the back falling off?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used SocketPunch to install Smash Bros. on my O3DS. It took roughly the same amount of time (give or take two or three minutes) to install it that way as it would installing it from the SD card.
What class is your SD card? Mine's a class 4. AKA slow as hell. Copying a large CIA file to my SD card takes upwards of 10 minutes. I skipped that additional 10 minutes with SocketPunch. It's also worth noting my PC is wired to the router and our router is, iirc, capable of at least 150 Mb/s speeds over WiFi. So in theory, I should be able to send the CIA file across the network to my 3DS for installation at more than 4 MB/s. But, of course, my SD card's max write speed is 4 MB/s.

I could also just be delusional in thinking a faster SD card would improve the install time from SocketPunch to the 3DS. If I was able, I'd happily test it out with differing network and SD card speeds. Unfortunately, I am not able, so I cannot. lol
I tried socket punch a few times and it has transfer speeds of like 150-200kb/s. That's abysmal, my usb 3.0 writer writes 20mb/s to my card.
Does the screw have to stay on the n3ds for the back to stay on or can it be out without the back falling off?
I never tighten the screws and it stays in place.

Reactions: cvskid

Ar7ific1al

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried socket punch a few times and it has transfer speeds of like 150-200kb/s. That's abysmal, my usb 3.0 writer writes 20mb/s to my card.
I didn't actually check the speed while it was installing Smash Bros. but next time, I'll check. :) I think I'll go find a CIA to install just so I can check.

Osakasan

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm a patient man, so i use micro SD management.

I mean, even the largest cias doesn't take more than 30 minutes.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)