What's the best method to copy files (CIA) to SD card after CFW is installed?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by sofakng, Jan 12, 2016.

1. sofakng
    OP

sofakng Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2007
    United States
    What is the best/fastest method of copying files from a network drive to the SD card so they can be installed (i.e. CIA files using FBI, etc).

It's a pain of a pain to have to unscrew the N3DS to remove the SD card and insert it into the PC.

2. Razorzeto

Razorzeto Darkness can not drive out darkness.

Aug 27, 2015
    Currently living in Chile.
    microSD management , SocketPunch with FBI, or FTP-3DS, FTPBrony, etc.
    If you are in windows use TeraCopy for security.

Last edited by Razorzeto, Jan 12, 2016
    Zhou likes this.
  3. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I use the microSD management for smaller stuff. I'm way too impatient for anything bigger, let alone even with socket punch which is painfully slow. I take out microsd for that. Just don't screw in the backplate, it holds anyway.

Nightwinter likes this.
  4. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    These are my approx speeds...

card reader= 22mb/s
    microsd management= 2.4mb/s
    ftp-3ds.cia = 300kb/s

So yeah, unscrewing the back is the only sane way if it's anything over a few hundred mb.

5. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    For small files I use FTBrony, but if I'm moving a file that's above like 50 meg and I want it quick, I'll get the microSD out. Like @wurstpistole said, don't screw on the backplate (in fact, my screws loosened completely, but I'm actually happy they did cause now I can slide it off REALLY easily yet it's not lose at all unless I intentionally try to get it off :P)

6. Fureshyu

Fureshyu GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    What if I'm using a mac and I want to use the micro SD manager app? I heard there was a program for Mac to be able to connect with the microsd manager but I can't find it anymore.

7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    i couldn't find one, i don't think it exists

8. Fureshyu

Fureshyu GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    I was just reading random hacking threads in gbatemp and someone was talking about a program for Mac that works with the manager. I'm sure it does I just don't remember the name.

cearp likes this.
  9. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I used SocketPunch to install Smash Bros. on my O3DS. It took roughly the same amount of time (give or take two or three minutes) to install it that way as it would installing it from the SD card.
    What class is your SD card? Mine's a class 4. AKA slow as hell. Copying a large CIA file to my SD card takes upwards of 10 minutes. I skipped that additional 10 minutes with SocketPunch. It's also worth noting my PC is wired to the router and our router is, iirc, capable of at least 150 Mb/s speeds over WiFi. So in theory, I should be able to send the CIA file across the network to my 3DS for installation at more than 4 MB/s. But, of course, my SD card's max write speed is 4 MB/s.

I could also just be delusional in thinking a faster SD card would improve the install time from SocketPunch to the 3DS. If I was able, I'd happily test it out with differing network and SD card speeds. Unfortunately, I am not able, so I cannot. lol

10. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if you find it please let me know!

11. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Does the screw have to stay on the n3ds for the back to stay on or can it be out without the back falling off?

12. Fureshyu

Fureshyu GBAtemp Regular

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    cearp likes this.
  13. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ah yeah, mac has samba built in, but it does not work with the 3ds (maybe apple did something weird lol)
    i read on linux you can get it to work, but i didn't think about using a different version (un-appled? lol) of samba on the mac

14. wurstpistole

wurstpistole N3DS B9S

Nov 19, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I tried socket punch a few times and it has transfer speeds of like 150-200kb/s. That's abysmal, my usb 3.0 writer writes 20mb/s to my card.
    I never tighten the screws and it stays in place.

cvskid likes this.
  15. Ar7ific1al

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I didn't actually check the speed while it was installing Smash Bros. but next time, I'll check. :) I think I'll go find a CIA to install just so I can check.

16. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    I'm a patient man, so i use micro SD management.

I mean, even the largest cias doesn't take more than 30 minutes.

17. jamespoo

jamespoo GBAtemp Fan

Mar 4, 2011
    New Zealand
    Auckland
    SocketPunch is slow for me i get around 340kbps to a little over 400kbps but most of the time it stays around 394kbps

18. Gimzie

Gimzie GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2016
    United States
    My FTP stopped working for some reason, so I just keep my backplate unscrewed.

19. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    In addition to the useful tools mentioned already, using freeShop instead of CIA files is another alternative.

Shadowfied and jamespoo like this.