Hacking What's the best method to block Wii U updates?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Yeah, tbh I'm not sure if there is a better way. It really depends on how the Wii U is coded to work. And I'm not going to be the one to test it out :P

To think of it logically: if TubeHax DNS goes offline, the Primary DNS fails, right? So that's when the Secondary DNS is supposed to kick in.

Option A: If it is also TubeHax DNS, its going to fail too. Then what? Is the Wii U coded to go to "Auto-Obtain" mode? If it is, you'd update.

Option B: If the Secondary DNS is 0.0.0.0, it should just keep you from accessing the internet at all.
Once again, your logic is going to save somebody from a potential issue. Even though I don't think it matters really, I'm going to make secondary DNS 0.0.0.0 also.

Reactions: fiveighteen

delsolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I did the same thing on tplink 703n with OpenWrt.
Which firmware you used as a base?
My problem is that this router has only 4mb memory and I don't know why but hosting the files using USB storage the exploit just freezes the screen.

@dekuleon

I used the files from EclipseSin and included
only lkernel, loadiinevL, index.html & main.css
to the new firmwareimage. (files take 300kb)

The exploit of my first firmwareimage, with
an modified index.html, also freeze the screen!

At the second firmwareimage, I only deleted
unused links from the index.html and did not
add something. -> Now it works fine!

No more exploit screen freeze,
only raceattack sometimes.

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@dekuleon

I used the files from EclipseSin and included
only lkernel, loadiinevL, index.html & main.css
to the new firmwareimage. (files take 300kb)

The exploit of my first firmwareimage, with
an modified index.html, also freeze the screen!

At the second firmwareimage, I only deleted
unused links from the index.html and did not
add something. -> Now it works fine!

No more exploit screen freeze,
only raceattack sometimes.

Thanks.

Yeah I also used files from eclipse.
Now I'm using my custom index page.

But I meant the router's firmware.
Is it the stock ou something like OpenWrt?

delsolo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks.

Yeah I also used files from eclipse.
Now I'm using my custom index page.

But I meant the router's firmware.
Is it the stock ou something like OpenWrt?

The router has a "freetz" modified firmware.
"freetz" is a linux software, which can create
a custom firmwareimage from an original "FritzBox"
firmwareimage.

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys im new to the forums but been lurking for a while. darkflare has a youtube video using Opendns which seemed pretty easy to follow so i recommend that one. Ive just blocked nintendo on my system and i have a feeling the 5.5 exploit is closer than you guys think.

Jay Clay

Trophies
XP
Country
so, I've heard couple a weeks ago that, you can put tubehax primary and nallar's dns as secondary, but 0.0.0.0 make more sense, anyone?

Fabbbrrr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Another option is to use your router firewall to block the IN/OUT WAN traffic of the WiiU's IP. Also you can assign a fixed IP to the console, so you don't have to worry again.

That's what I did and I'm hosting the kernel exploit and Loadiine in an old android phone (using an HTTP server) connected to the Router's USB :), so the exploit never failed again!

D

Deleted User

A good way to block updates is to mess around with vWii IOSes (e.g. replacing them with proper Wii IOSes).
Although this is potentially dangerous to your vWii, it can prevent the Wii U from installing the updates later on.

I'd only do this if you don't care about vWii, though.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys im new to the forums but been lurking for a while. darkflare has a youtube video using Opendns which seemed pretty easy to follow so i recommend that one. Ive just blocked nintendo on my system and i have a feeling the 5.5 exploit is closer than you guys think.
Don't complain when your dynamic IP changes and you get updated. OpenDNS = fail.

so, I've heard couple a weeks ago that, you can put tubehax primary and nallar's dns as secondary, but 0.0.0.0 make more sense, anyone?
That was by myself. After discussion with a couple others, we determined 0.0.0.0 makes more sense. nallar's DNS is going to be changing sometime in January, and then there's the whole "If TubeHax DNS and nallar's DNS failed, what would happen?" scenario.

0.0.0.0 should just not let you on the internet, period, which makes it the safest Secondary DNS.

lordhell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just put a manual local IP to my WiiU and blocked every in and out to external ips from this IP on my router, only works to another lan ips, i'm running eclipse sin on my PC. (And just for extra security using tubehax dns and blocked the nintendo urls on my router too)

Fjar

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So... what's the best option?

Tubehax DNS and put 0's in the secondary DNS or try with OpenDNS?

Is a very interesting topic, in fact.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
why doesn't someoen just makea step by step tut on how to block all NUS in the router settings
because that would be extremely unlikely to go smoothly, considering most people needing a guide are relative noobs the thread/guide would likely be full of "i tried visiting http://"myrouterip" and it's not loading, or " what is my router password" or "my router looks different" or "my router has no url blocking feature".........basically the instruction for setting up the tubehax dns are pretty much fool proof and will work for everyone, router/parental blocks vary from router to router and some routers do not even offer url/parental blocking

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended