What's the best method of compressing Isos after using WiiScrubber

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Patelitojoe, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Patelitojoe
    OP

Newcomer Patelitojoe Member

United States
    Do most people just compress it using winrar, or is there a better program to compress the isos after they have been scrubbed? I didn't find a tutorial on the site for the software so I figured I ask. If anyone has an answer or a link to a topic with an answer then by all means share the info.

2. PSXDupe

Newcomer PSXDupe Member

United States
    Buy a couple of 500gb Hard Drives and DONT use Wii Scrubber. Easy answer

3. robi

Member robi GBAtemp Regular

France
    Most people use WinRAR yeah...I'm using 7-Zip on windows since it's free. Both have served me well.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    All that the scrubber does is replace the junk with 00's which any compression algorithm/method ever made should be able to deal with (and probably come up with the same results).

+1 to 7zip though, it is perhaps not as polished as winrar on the GUI front (I miss the archive conversion) but it works and does so very well.

5. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
  6. mattlouf

Member mattlouf GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If size really matters, use 7-zip instead of winrar: it will compress your file better way.

7. ph0en1x

Newcomer ph0en1x Member

Greece
    7-zip is as far as iknow the best compressing algorithm out there. But it has a big dissadvatage. Compression speed! I have an old release (4.44) so maybe the latest rel. (4.57) have better speed. It is the best and here's why:

My first and only test was when some time before years someone released the bioses from gamecube for all regions, decrypted and encrypted.
    I used the latest (for then) winrar, winzip and 7zip.
    At all programs i used the best options (winrar: compact,best# winzip: maximum(deflate), 7zip: lzma (reasonable method, because ppmd is sytem sources eater [​IMG]), dictionary size 128mb, word size 273 which these settings made use of 1375mb of ram :$ so only for those who have more than 1gb ram and 512mb pagefile).

The results: Uncompressed: 21mb, winrar: 17mb, winzip 18.5, and 7zip 4mb!!! [​IMG]

So the best option (if you have the time to drink a big cup of coffe and let your pc do the job for some hours, otherwise there is the priority option at the taskmanager) is 7-zip!
    Sorry if you bored reading this. I hope i cleared out some things about the best compression program.
    pH0eN1x

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There are some nominally better compression methods than the one 7zip uses (but it is splitting hairs compared to the standard kit and oh so much slower) anyhow the reason you got small files is more likely due to the fact that 7zip makes a dictionary from all the files rather than one for each file and as bios files are normally not especially different....

As I said though normal wii isos are full of junk and by replacing it with simple 00's (what the scrubber does) the 00's can be compressed down to minuscule sizes by just about any compression algorithm going (even on the lightest settings (ph0en1x's listed settings are far higher than anything you will need in most day to day stuff as well as this) 00's should be easy to compress down and the rest will remain untouched by everything). 7zip fits the bill here, also you might want to consider jzip as it is based on 7zip but aims to have a much more friendly GUI:
    http://www.jzip.com/
    I played around with it but I have grown accustomed to 7zip and it is able to do stupid via batch file when I tell it (which is surprisingly often these days) so did not want to switch.

9. mark187

Member mark187 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Winrar on "fastest" setting. There's no point in using any higher compression setting.