Hacking What's the best menu version mod to have?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have 4.0U. Is there any benefit to having a higher version at all?

If so,as my Wii is already hacked, would I need a game exploit or anything or just an app to use through preloader/HBC?

Yuan

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
4.1 if this affects you:

Fixed - A bug existed where loading a channel from the SD Card Menu would force you to watch the Wii MotionPlus video in Wii Sports Resort.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry I'm getting confused here - are there any negatives to 4.3?

I like to be as up to date as possible. So if it's OK to update can anyone point me in the right direction for both a menu install file AND the latest HBC. I have no wifi for an update via HBC and Wiibrew is down.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4.2 has stricter region control options. 4.3 update exists only to prevent bannerbomb and delete older versions of the homebrew channel.

The "best" system menu as far as features would be 4.1, but if you don't plan on launching out of region titles from disc channel, and you don't think you'll ever have to worry about using bannerbomb again... there is no reason not to be on 4.2 or 4.3 (remember if you up to 4.3 however to upgrade to the latest homebrew channel... Or else you'll have no homebrew channel and no means to reload it unless you have one of the three hacked games)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
There may still be no reason, but I still preffer it.

I noticed a "higher quality" appeareance on system menu.

Yes, 4.3 blocks all homebrew BUT, if you install the latest hackmii 1.0.7+(and cios 236 installer) when you upgrade to 4.3, won´t delete homebrew channel and lose homebrew/backup compatability.

Any ways, I´m happy with 4.3

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd rather not get messy trying to install other apps just to run the menu so 4.2 it is.

Can anyone give me a linky to that and the latest HBC?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks but BAH! - the links on there lead to the still down Wiibrew. Guess I'll just have to it for it to be up again.
frown.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Coto said:
There may still be no reason, but I still preffer it.

I noticed a "higher quality" appeareance on system menu.

100% in your head. There was no changed made visually to the system menu, the only thing different is "behind the scene performance enhancements" (as per nintendo) which translated into deleting the homebrew channel as the "enhancement"
wink.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its really all about what you want out of your wii. personally, i dont use the sd card menu. if you take that out of the equation, everything after 3.2 is just a "behind the scenes improvement". if you are still on 3.2, then you can boot fakesigned discs on nintendo's official IOS. this is really helpful if you ever tear something up and need to fix it with a crippled wii. if you go above 4.1, then not only do you have to worry about booting fakesigned discs, but you also have to worry about the added region checking.

both of these things can be overcome by patching some IOS. but its better to not even have to worry about them.

also, consider the available preloader hacks known for the different system menus. 3.2 has the most hacks, including region-free GC vith the video mode. some system menus dont have any hacks posted.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy with 4.0. It serves me well, I can use Dop-Mii to install anything I need that I don't have, it's nice to already-installed HBC 1.0.3, and all newer versions can install properly (I have 3 'real' versions, and about 10 copies of it with different IDs, in case I need them in an emergency.

I still have the old Preloader 0.28, it likes 4.0 very well, they handshake() often, and I have it autobooting WiiFlow (USB Loader)...

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Don't fix what ain't broke. Especially if you're clueless, and if it's dangerous. Easy as that.

My virtual NAND is clean, so I'm currently on 4.3 there, if it interests you.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
giantpune said:
its really all about what you want out of your wii. personally, i dont use the sd card menu. if you take that out of the equation, everything after 3.2 is just a "behind the scenes improvement". if you are still on 3.2, then you can boot fakesigned discs on nintendo's official IOS. this is really helpful if you ever tear something up and need to fix it with a crippled wii.

also, consider the available preloader hacks known for the different system menus. 3.2 has the most hacks, including region-free GC vith the video mode. some system menus dont have any hacks posted.

I have 3.2 installed for all these reasons. As long as you keep your IOSes reasonably up to date, there's no reason for me to go any higher. I have SNEEK for NAND emu, so the SD card menu is pretty much useless.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Does having a hacked menu affect the Shop Channel?

I guess I should update my preloader. It's 0.29. What's the difference between that and Priiloader?

Also, what is NAND all about? I know it's something about a backup for your Wii, but that's it. Is there a guide that explains it in idiot terms?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh so it's an upgrade - thanks. I can't remember for the life of me how I installed it in the first place.

Also out of curiosity, what kind of files can be loaded on there, give that it has the option to load them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "Impossible he memorized every book on the planet..." +1