What's the best handheld that can become "all-in-one"?

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By "all-in-one" I mean getting enchanted with hacking support, especially with emulators and homebrews. Like a GBA with a Supercard, or a DS with a R4, or a PSP with cfw (these are just examples). What's your pick?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The PSP with CFW would probably be the best console from the big three. You get a toooon of emulators, great homebrew games, watching movies isn't terrible on it, portable PS1 games and more with a few (now) simple exploits. It's like a gold mine for portable emulation.

But if I had to say any best "handheld", it'd probably be one of the many Android devices, my personal pick being the Shield Portable. You get emulation up to N64/PS1/DS/PSP, you get a nice-ish selection of PC game ports that run well (XCOM, Half Life, Portal, GTA 3/VC/SA, KOTOR etc), all kinds of movie format support with MX Player, a nice browser, and the Shield Portable has a pretty bitching battery life as well.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, PSP with CFW had a lot of homebrew and great emulator support.
Also, the controls provided in the PSP were quite good for emulator purposes.
In the other hand the NDS also had a good homebrew movement, but perhaps here the emulators were not so good as the original homebrew like eg. Still Alive or Colors!.
I think those would be the best when you consider mainstream handheld from big name companies.

If you go opensource or pseudogeneric ones, I think the best thing would be most current android based ones.
They are really easy to program, already have a big back catalog of everything, they are powerful and cheap.
I kind of like the generic JXD ones. I don't like the Nvidia SHIELD so much because I find it big and annoying.

I have used some other kind of "open source" handhelds in the past (long ago GP32, GP2X), I think the concept is obsolete now.
You know, having powerful and cheap android handhelds, why even bother with another expensive "open source" one?

Atlas_Noire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hands down, it's PSP with cfw for me. The PSP's wide range of emulation just makes it a must-have for many retro die-hards like me. Although I'm still tempted to go for one of those many high performance gaming tablets.

Vipera

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no budget limit. I was curious to see what would be your choice including power and compatibility.

Personally I'm unsure between the Micro and the DS Lite. I like my Go, but the buttons suck compared to the ones on my DS Lite. On the other hand, the Micro has a ton less power, but it's the most portable thing ever.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no budget limit. I was curious to see what would be your choice including power and compatibility.

Personally I'm unsure between the Micro and the DS Lite. I like my Go, but the buttons suck compared to the ones on my DS Lite. On the other hand, the Micro has a ton less power, but it's the most portable thing ever.

Guess it depend then.
I love my tablet plus BT controller for emulation but I also use a Ds with a action replay for anything up to snes

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have an Nvidia Shield Portable, and I love it. Emulators all run full speed without any major lag. It has a decent library of games in the nvidia store, as well as any other store like Google Play or Amazon. I currently run PPSSPP Gold, Mupen64, FPse, all the emulators that John makes (John GBC, John GBA, etc.) and everything is solid. I can even HDMI to my 720p TV, and it looks and plays flawless without any input lag, and my cable is 9 feet long. It's cheap now, and highly recommended. The battery also lasts a LNG time while asleep, like a week or more.

Nvidia-Shield-Portable-Console-Gaming-System-with-Android-Jelly-Bean-0-5.jpg

KingBlank

King of Nothing
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Shield portable, plays PSP, DS, GBA and many more emulators very well. the tablet version also has potential to play Wii and gamecube games smoothly in the future.

Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of getting one of those (used). How do you feel about the screen size?

The screen size is good, about the same size as my Samsung Galaxy S4. I output it to my32 inch 720p TV, and it's gorgeous. The screen on the unit is awkward to hold while typing with your thumbs, so a bluetooth keyboard might be more your thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse