Homebrew Question What's the best for OS for Emulation?

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Lakka handles those with ease... And with vulcan support and stuff psp games like GoW now run at fullspeed without 30fps hacks in lakka.

Plenty of N64 games don’t work great in lakka.
*Goldeneye
*Mario tennis
*Banjo tooie(gets constant stutters)
*Majoras Mask drops frames in certain areas.

I name those because they are very popular games, their are plenty more though.
64 emulation is not supported by vulkan either.
Im not saying lakka runs poorly. Until android/ubuntu was released I used lakka as my all in one emulation station for a long time as handheld, mainly for the gamecube compatibility.
For anything above the 32bit consoles though, Standalone emulators are just outright better.
*Lakka/Retroarch has less working games/worse compatibility
*Colour/contrast is worse
*Audio is worse in some cases
*Standalone emulators are less resource hungry

Lakka had Vulkan support before, god of war did not run at 60fps, it isn’t even 60fps constantly in ubuntu retropie which outperforms lakka in ppsspp.
Other than the fact Ive tested this out multiple times, multiple youtubers have videos which basically that reinforce all of the above. Im more than happy to link those if you if you would like.

Last edited by Basketto,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
*Goldeneye
*Mario tennis

Im not saying lakka runs poorly. Until android/ubuntu was released I used lakka as my all in one emulation station for a long time as handheld, mainly for the gamecube compatibility.
For anything above the 32bit consoles though, Standalone emulators are just outright better.

Lakka had Vulkan support before, god of war did not run at 60fps, it isn’t even 60fps constantly in ubuntu retropie which outperforms lakka in ppsspp.
Other than the fact Ive tested this out multiple times, multiple youtubers have videos which basically that reinforce all of the above. Im more than happy to link those if you if you would like.
I completed GoW CoO in lakka ppsspp recently with vulkan and 1.8 OC. Its fullspeed with minor dips in some areas, a lot better than it was before (and before it was basically unplayable without 30fps cheat). I don't really care for n64, so i guess you are right about Android being a better choice for it. But psx (duckstation), DC, ppsspp are EASILY emulated in lakka with amazing performance and compatibility. Imo Android is only worth installing to play android games and maybe as someone said before for some standalone emus like drastic.

Last edited by bad361,

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*Goldeneye
*Mario tennis

n64 is vastly better in HOS retroarch all you need is a gpu overclock for games to run at full speed including the most demanding n64 game Conkers Bad Fur Day. if audio crackles it only needs a slight cpu boost. on lakka n64 games are hit or miss

Last edited by deathblade200,
Reactions: M7L7NK7

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
n64 is vastly better in HOS retroarch all you need is a gpu overclock for games to run at full speed including the most demanding n64 game Conkers Bad Fur Day. if audio crackles it only needs a slight cpu boost. on lakka n64 games are hit or miss

I have only tested a few 64 games in lakka since the most recent update, I thought it was hit and miss before however depending on the game.
Since Switchroot though I just don’t emulate 64 through retroarch horizon or lakka.
I understand wanting to have everything on HOS, it would be ideal.
The fact is though you cant set games in 4x internal resolution HD add texture packs & have games run flawlessly even at 1700 oc, only the standalone in android provides that.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I completed GoW CoO in lakka ppsspp recently with vulkan and 1.8 OC. Its fullspeed with minor dips in some areas, a lot better than it was before (and before it was basically unplayable without 30fps cheat). I don't really care for n64, so i guess you are right about Android being a better choice for it. But psx (duckstation), DC, ppsspp are EASILY emulated in lakka with amazing performance and compatibility. Imo Android is only worth installing to play android games and maybe as someone said before for some standalone emus like drastic.

I literally just tried god of war in portable mode chains of olympus, you peaked my curiousity.
Very first fight scene is constant stutters with fps dropping down to 48/60 at the lowest.
Running with docked GPU in portable, default upscaling and Maximum performance CPU. Idk what you consider fullspeed but I dont consider those minor dips.
The performance is honestly no better than android.
I even turned off vsync to try & get a better performance.
The reality is not that android is only worth installing for android games, its closer to lakka is only worth installing because it is simple to use, drag n drop 2 files, minor storage space requirement. Maybe its the best OS for saturn emulation? Not many saturn games peak my interest so I really don’t know. Android runs saturn poorly, so Ubuntu would be the contender. Possibly you can link a video of chains of olympus running with close to perfect fps for a minute ;)?

cdesign

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What about ds émulation
Melon ds native is very fast on HOs
But I can’t get it playable on lakka… very slow even with jit

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What about ds émulation
Melon ds native is very fast on HOs
But I can’t get it playable on lakka… very slow even with jit

The aforementioned Drastic on Android offers the best performance. Melon has come a long way since release, but Drastic has years of optimisation.
You can pretty much run everything on stock settings without any hiccups.
But ya, my next choice would probably be HOS.

zerofalcon

Trophies
XP
Country
*Goldeneye
*Mario tennis
*Majoras Mask drops frames in certain areas..

Im quoting you for everyone that uses lakka/n64 core and need some settings done.
First things first, use a PAL rom for at least Golden Eye.
Second, enabling or disabling framebuffer emulation can help (gfx glitches could appear/game dependant)
Reducing max texture cache size to 1500 improves performance with some games (Golden Eye)
Third, Disable V-sync on video settings and enable threaded video.

Mario Tennis is a special case, is one of the most problematic games to emulate (no shadow of characters thanks to a weird plugin implementation) but using mupen core on HOS is working fine, just a slowdown on some courses.
Banjo Tooie works great if disabling v-sync and maybe using the pal rom too.
Majoras Mask same as BT.

I'm doing a game research of n64 emulation through HOS/Lakka/Android and every OS has its ups and downs. I will be doing a compt/notes list when Im done with the research.
So sad to realize that n64 emulation still is a hit and miss after 2 decades.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Im quoting you for everyone that uses lakka/n64 core and need some settings done.
First things first, use a PAL rom for at least Golden Eye.
Second, enabling or disabling framebuffer emulation can help (gfx glitches could appear/game dependant)
Reducing max texture cache size to 1500 improves performance with some games (Golden Eye)
Third, Disable V-sync on video settings and enable threaded video.

Mario Tennis is a special case, is one of the most problematic games to emulate (no shadow of characters thanks to a weird plugin implementation) but using mupen core on HOS is working fine, just a slowdown on some courses.
Banjo Tooie works great if disabling v-sync and maybe using the pal rom too.
Majoras Mask same as BT.

I'm doing a game research of n64 emulation through HOS/Lakka/Android and every OS has its ups and downs. I will be doing a compt/notes list when Im done with the research.
So sad to realize that n64 emulation still is a hit and miss after 2 decades.

Your telling me a bunch of things I already know, I was using Lakka before switchroot oreo even released ;).
Yes you can do all these things to get better performance. But you don’t need to on android.
You don’t need PAL roms to sacrifice FPS,
You don’t need to disable vsync,
You don’t need to disable framebuffer emulation which breaks a large number of games.
You get Audio stutters in some games regardless on everything except android.
Its not really that every platform has its ups & downs, 64 performance using Android is outright superior.
For the CPU usage & Quality your getting from the standalone emulator the difference is significant.
Ive tried this out a million times, their are youtube videos showing it by a large margin.
You can accept the reality, or convince yourself that the operating system you prefer to use Ubuntu/HOS/Lakka is better.
BT stutters for random split seconds while rolling, performing certain actions.
Majoras Mask play through far enough in lakka & it drops frames.
None of your settings help tried this out hundreds of times.
Let me actually put things into context, because it seems clear youve either a) never really tested Android b) dislike Android
“Special Case” Mario Tennis runs fullspeed all the time
Excitebike 64 is literally unplayable fps on everything except Android, on which it runs full speed.
Mischief makers is another great example of a game that is painful to run on anything other than Android standalone, again running full speed. You could create more convincing arguement to say the retroarch psp core in HOS is better than standalone HOS ppsspp, or that Android Citra is as good as the HOS port.
Difference is Night & Day.

Last edited by Basketto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr