Homebrew Question What's the best for OS for Emulation?

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
as title says, What's the best for OS for Emulation? Is it Lakka or Android? or are they both the same?

i am trying to emulate N64,PSP,PS1,Dreamcast,SNES,NES, Sega Genesis,GB,GBC,and GBA.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in handheld mode HOS can play any of the 2D games at 60FPS while Lakka is good for everything else. if you only play Docked though all you need is Lakka. Lakka just has some (currently unfixable) issues in handheld mode

Last edited by deathblade200,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
as title says, What's the best for OS for Emulation? Is it Lakka or Android? or are they both the same?

i am trying to emulate N64,PSP,PS1,Dreamcast,SNES,NES, Sega Genesis,GB,GBC,and GBA.

As shadowone said best OS is Android.

*N64- Standalone Mupen64plus FZ (easily better than the alternative options)
*Dreamcast- Redream (best option again is android)
*PS1- Duckstation (again is best on android)
*PSP- PPSSPP (android runs brilliantly, but ubuntu will get a few more fps for the hardest to run games, 98% of the library runs full speed)

Snes, Nes, Sega etc….. Use Android Retroarch.
For Those systems Retroarch offers more customisation. You can add shaders & make games look pretty amazing. For example the scaleFX folder options make snes games look HD without producing artifacts.
I suggest using the less cpu demanding cores, especially for portable. Bsnes for example will require 1.5ghz of CPU around. Its more accurate than snes 9x requires more than double the CPU to run. Gameplay wise you wont tell a difference most of the time.

Last edited by Basketto,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Basketto is right.

If you want standalone instead of Retroarch. You can do that with pSNES and pNES. Great emulators too. And for Sega Genesis standalone, there isn't yet.

Flycast is a standalone for Dreamcast. You gotta try it if you like Sega Dreamcast. :)

pFBA is a multisystem emulator. It does like 12 systems. It does have Sega Genesis emulator in it so try it too. :)

Last edited by spotanjo3,

DS92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
As shadowone said best OS is Android.

*N64- Standalone Mupen64plus FZ (easily better than the alternative options)
*Dreamcast- Redream (best option again is android)
*PS1- Duckstation (again is best on android)
*PSP- PPSSPP (android runs brilliantly, but ubuntu will get a few more fps for the hardest to run games, 98% of the library runs full speed)

Snes, Nes, Sega etc….. Use Android Retroarch.
For Those systems Retroarch offers more customisation. You can add shaders & make games look pretty amazing. For example the scaleFX folder options make snes games look HD without producing artifacts.
I suggest using the less cpu demanding cores, especially for portable. Bsnes for example will require 1.5ghz of CPU around. Its more accurate than snes 9x requires more than double the CPU to run. Gameplay wise you wont tell a difference most of the time.

@Basketto is right.

If you want standalone instead of Retroarch. You can do that with pSNES and pNES. Great emulators too. And for Sega Genesis standalone, there isn't yet.

Flycast is a standalone for Dreamcast. You gotta try it if you like Sega Dreamcast. :)

pFBA is a multisystem emulator. It does like 12 systems. It does have Sega Genesis emulator in it so try it too. :)

i kind of want to use Retroarch in Android, im wondering how it compares to Lakka.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Some Linux or FreeBSD Based OS

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i kind of want to use Retroarch in Android, im wondering how it compares to Lakka.
Android is not exactly lightweight. Lakka would for sure have better performance.

D

Deleted User

wondering, isn't the overhead bigger in android compared to lakka/linux?
I would imagine that the performence and input lag might be worse on android.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Retroarch in android works great, I generally have been using it to emulate as I prefer having an all in one for emulation.
Like I said I only use it for the weaker systems 32/16 bit, becuase for those it offers more configuration in retroarch.
The others you mentioned work better as standalone emulators.
For those older consoles it really does not matter what you choose, every OS will run them. If you want to have everything in the one though, then Android would be the obvious choice. Its the only OS that runs pretty much everything youve mentioned at full speed.
I say pretty much, because like I said ppsspp is about 98%. Out of the last 2%, a few games like god of war(both chains & sparta) have a 30fps hack which makes them run perfectly anyway, so it ends up being even less.
With things like N64 & PS1 emulation, you will notice a lack of performance on the other systems if you try to upscale resolution, add texture packs, or play harder to emulate games.
Mupen64fz is the only 64 emulator option that allows Rice/GlideN64/Glide64/Angrylion & one other graphic plugin(which I cannot remember :P) that you can configure to your liking. It comes incredibly handy for things like compatibility, & if you want to sacrifice visuals & get better battery life, you can use older less accurate emulation ones like Rice. You can also convert/use PNG files for HD texture packs, which you cannot do in Retroarch/Lakka/ or Retropie.

Last edited by Basketto,

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
wondering, isn't the overhead bigger in android compared to lakka/linux?
I would imagine that the performence and input lag might be worse on android.

From someone that uses all 3, performance is definately better for 64, ps1, Dreamcast, NDS in android(Gamecube/Wii is on par with the others if you have OC patches, some games even run better with the MMJ version than is possible on the others).
Idk about overhead, but if thats the case they are definately better optimised in android. Since switchroot 10, no noticable input lag.
Literally the only thing that really trumps android in terms of performance is Citra for 3ds emulation, Horizon for once takes the cake.

well realistically PS2 emulation is pretty unbearable on the switch, regardless of what you use.
You get a few more fps than play! In lakka :P, but it doesnt say much because 1/1000 games is considered playable ;).

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
From someone that uses all 3, performance is definately better for 64, ps1, Dreamcast, NDS in android(Gamecube/Wii is on par with the others if you have OC patches, some games even run better with the MMJ version than is possible on the others).
Idk about overhead, but if thats the case they are definately better optimised in android. Since switchroot 10, no noticable input lag.
Literally the only thing that really trumps android in terms of performance is Citra for 3ds emulation, Horizon for once takes the cake.

well realistically PS2 emulation is pretty unbearable on the switch, regardless of what you use.
You get a few more fps than play! In lakka :P, but it doesnt say much because 1/1000 games is considered playable ;).

I played through khii with mostly ~25 fps, so...

Reactions: Basketto

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Lakka handles those with ease... And with vulcan support and stuff psp games like GoW now run at fullspeed without 30fps hacks in lakka.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0