Hacking What's the best flashcart combo for DS Lite and DS Fat?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a new flashcart for a friend and myself, but I'm unsure which are the best.

My friend has a DS Lite and a DS Fat, and is very unlikely to ever get a DSi or DSi XL. She's new to all this, so I'm thinking "Acekard", but which one? Wouldn't it be a waste to get her the Acekard 2i, since she's happy with her Lite? I'd like to know if there's any major drawback in just getting the older Acekard for DS Lite. Is there anything that the 2i can do that the 2.1 can't, and vice-versa?

As for me, I've already got a DSTT (which has been great), but I'm looking for something with more features and potential. From what I've been reading, it looks like the Supercard DSTWO is the latest and greatest right now... But will I be missing out by using it only on a Lite or Fat? I, too, am unlikely to ever get a DSi. In that case, should I just get a older cart?

The features I'm most interested in are:

- Highest compatibility
- Smooth interface and ease of use
- Great, reliable cheat system (in-game access to cheats would be nice)
- Real Time Save and In-game Guide (don't need Slow Motion so much)
- Multimedia and Homebrew capability
- GBA emulation

As for GBA emulation, I'm also very interested in some of the other things it can do besides play GBA games - such as backup & restore retail DS saves, and allow for the importing of Pokemon from the roms of the GBA versions to the newer games. Are those only possible with an EZ Flash 3-in-1, or can the Supercard DSTWO utilize those tools as well? My only concern with the EZ Flash is the battery dying. :/

I've been really happy with my DSTT so far. Thanks for any advice!
smile.gif

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
the best combo would probably be DSTWO with Ezflash 3-in-1. And no, you don't miss anything since the DSTWO works exactly the same as with any DS as with DSI, since DSI mode isn't hacked yet no flash cards can make use of the extra RAM and the other features.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that sounds like just the ticket for me. As for my friend, though, she's looking for a more budget-priced flashcard, and she doesn't need features like Real Time Save, In-game Guide, or Slow Motion.

*checks price of Acekard 2.1 vs price of Acekard 2i*

What, the 2i is only $3.00 more?! Sheesh, might as well get her the 2i then... But what features does the 2i have that the 2.1 doesn't (besides DSi compatibility, obviously)?

riverchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there's no difference, but some think AK2i build quality is better than the 2.1's. Use R4 if you want to be REALLY CHEAP. No extra features, really good game compatibility with wood r4.

m3ian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want lots of features than you should either get the M3i zero or the Dstwo. I would say the combo would be Dstwo with E-Z flash because it has better GBA emulation than m3i zero. And if you do use a flashcart with a dsi you will miss out on small features like changing the screen brightness.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can afford $15.00 for the 2i, lol. Got another question or two...

1.) Currently, my PC can't read my miniSDHC card. It's got a SD card reader, and it reads regular SD cards fine, but it can't read my Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card via my miniSD-to-SD adapter at all. I have to plug that combo in to someone else's newer computer to get files on or off of it.

My question is, would an All-in-one Multi-Format Card Reader allow my PC to read my miniSDHC card? Or do I need to update some hardware in the guts of my PC? ~_~

Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card -> miniSD-to-SD adapter - X - Multimedia reader built into PC
Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card -> miniSD-to-SD adapter - X - USB 2.0 SD Card Reader -> PC

My PC is running Windows XP, BTW...

2.) What's the best GBA flashcard to get right now? It looks like the EZ Flash V is the only readily available one... But its battery eventually dies, right? Plus, can't you only use it in conjunction with a slot 1 flashcard? I'd like to have a GBA only flashcard which uses its own miniSD card, but I bet those are rare now...

Just in case, though, what are the best GBA cards to look out for? And can you replace the EZ Flash V's battery when it dies?

Thanks for any info!

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
the battery can be replaced
tongue.gif
its like changing a clock battery

Btw, you want a flashcard for a gba or only to play gba on DS?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrimzonEyed said:
the battery can be replaced
tongue.gif
its like changing a clock battery
You wouldn't happen to have a link to a guide, would you? For future reference.
smile.gif

QUOTE(CrimzonEyed @ Jul 30 2010, 09:56 PM) Btw, you want a flashcard for a gba or only to play gba on DS?
Hm, I mostly use my DS now, so I'm thinking a slot 2 card like the EZ Flash V is going to be the most practical for me.

I'd love to have a card with its own miniSD for my GB Micro, too, though... But the best of those (such as M3 Perfect) are rare and expensive now, eh?

Tokyo Jihen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm exactly like her. I have a DS Fat and a DSLite and I bought an Acekard 2.1. I just got it today and it's working fine. I would just get the 2.1 for her.

And for yourself, maybe you should just get an DSTWO. From what I've heard, the GBA emulation was a little iffy, but the Acekard does not have Real Time Save iirc.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the link, Crimzon.

"Also, if you are going to buy DSTWO you don't need a Slot 2 since it have a own processor so it can emulate GBA and soon SNES games."

Right, but can the DSTWO backup and restore the save data of retail games, and import GBA Pokemon into the 4th gen games, like the EZ Flash can?

I'm pretty decided on getting a DSTWO for myself, and it's looking like Acekard 2i (for $3 more, why not) for my friend. Might get the EZ Flash V if the DSTWO can't do those two things I mentioned above.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ahh wrong,not clear peoplez

You are looking for SCDS2(slot1)+ EZFlash 3-in-1,which is a slot 2 card.

Go get the backup tool(rudolph's,i think) which is a homebrew that works on any(hopefully) card.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the 3-in-1 is the one I was talking about. My mistake! >.>;

Good to know Rudolph's Backup Tool works on most cards, but I read that the "import Pokemon from GBA ROM" thing only works with a 3-in-1...

And, uh, anyone know the answer to my miniSDHC problem?

"1.) Currently, my PC can't read my miniSDHC card. It's got a SD card reader, and it reads regular SD cards fine, but it can't read my Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card via my miniSD-to-SD adapter at all. I have to plug that combo in to someone else's newer computer to get files on or off of it.

My question is, would an All-in-one Multi-Format Card Reader allow my PC to read my miniSDHC card? Or do I need to update some hardware in the guts of my PC? ~_~

Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card -> miniSD-to-SD adapter - X - Multimedia reader built into PC
Transcend 8GB miniSDHC card -> miniSD-to-SD adapter - X - USB 2.0 SD Card Reader -> PC

My PC is running Windows XP, BTW..."

elixirdream

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
how about iSMARTDS

*run and hide for his survival

back to topic:
i will recommend you either ak2/i or scds2
smile.gif

i prefer the later because of the many possibilities that it can be done all the cart with its built in CPU

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would this allow my PC to read my miniSDHC via a SD adapter?

http://shoptemp.com/products/All-in-one-Multi-Format-Card-Reader-p-90.html

I think my PC hardware is the problem here. Both card readers I've got don't seem to support miniSDHC cards... I tried updating my PC software, but it said it was not necessary since I've got a newer Service Pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn