Hacking What's the best flashcart combo for DS Lite and DS Fat?

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*returns more than half a year later*

Heh... I still have not ordered a new flash cart yet. I still only have my DSTT. Now, just when I was about to order from ShopTemp, I find it has been shut down... Sadness.

Nevertheless, I'm interested in this now. I just need to decide which card to get for my friend... The DSTT, Acekard, or something else? Probably the Acekard... Unless there is any reason to get a DSTT or R4 Gold instead? I'm already familiar with the DSTT, but I read that Retro quit the scene... And the Acekard would be good for a newbie...

Please let me know if anything significant has happened in the last six months that I should know about before I make the purchase. Thanks to everyone for their advice!

P.S.: I figured out my adapter problem, by the way.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Smash Br0 said:
Nevertheless, I'm interested in this now. I just need to decide which card to get for my friend... The DSTT, Acekard, or something else? Probably the Acekard... Unless there is any reason to get a DSTT or R4 Gold instead? I'm already familiar with the DSTT, but I read that Retro quit the scene... And the Acekard would be good for a newbie...
Get the R4i Gold (specifically one compatible with Wood). It seems that the Wood firmware is starting to grow larger than AKAIO, and it's updating pretty quickly.

And you shouldn't buy yourself a flashcart just yet. The 3DS is coming out in March, and if you want that, you might as well save up.
(if not, I'd say go for a DStwo)

EJames2100

Trophies
XP
Country
DSTwo if you don't mind spending money.

So many extra nifty features.
Got a 3in1 also, so between them I have perfect compatibility on all GBA Games.

Acekard is also a good option, I'd suggest the Acekard RPG if you can get one, has AKAIO and WOOD support I think, since AKAIO has some sort of AAP that works with decent Mem Cards and Wood gets updated regularly, most games new games will work almost straight away.

Altho the DSTwo has only had a few new game problems with it as far as I know, and doesn't need regular updating.

Have you tried getting a SDHC reader, the normal SD readers can't read SDHC.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
EJames2100 said:
DSTwo if you don't mind spending money.

So many extra nifty features.
Got a 3in1 also, so between them I have perfect compatibility on all GBA Games.

Acekard is also a good option, I'd suggest the Acekard RPG if you can get one, has AKAIO and WOOD support I think, since AKAIO has some sort of AAP that works with decent Mem Cards and Wood gets updated regularly, most games new games will work almost straight away.

Altho the DSTwo has only had a few new game problems with it as far as I know, and doesn't need regular updating.

Have you tried getting a SDHC reader, the normal SD readers can't read SDHC.
Seems like you didn't even read the thread.

And why are you recommending the AKRPG? It's hard to find, and even if you do, it costs more than the DStwo.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
m3ian said:
If you want lots of features than you should either get the M3i zero or the Dstwo. I would say the combo would be Dstwo with E-Z flash because it has better GBA emulation than m3i zero. And if you do use a flashcart with a dsi you will miss out on small features like changing the screen brightness.

Actually Select+Volume+/- will change the brightness anywhere on a DSi.

QUOTE(Rydian @ Dec 10 2010, 07:36 AM) You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: ~$6
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: ~$16
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
  • Price: ~$35
cardchart.gif
  • DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Clean Mode
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

^Explains it all, though, I do recommend another card, if you want SDHC and DSi compatibility, the R4i Gold, specifically the one from r4ids.cn - it can run Wood R4.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Evo.lve said:
...though, I do recommend another card, if you want SDHC and DSi compatibility, the R4i Gold, specifically the one from r4ids.cn - it can run Wood R4.
The R4i Gold from r4idsn.com works too. Both R4i Golds are from the same people, although they split into 2 teams.
The R4i Gold fits in somewhere between the original R4 and the Acekard. It supports SDHC and works with the DSi. And they're an actual team, unlike the other R4 clones (the R4iDSN team was the first to break the flashcart block in DSi 1.4).

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... My friend just wants the cart that has the highest compatibility, is the easiest to use and update, and is the most reliable hardware-wise. Remember that she only has a DS Lite and is not likely to upgrade to a DSi or DSi XL. A price of $20.00 or less would be best.

Between the Acekard 2i, the Wood-compatible R4i Gold, and the DSTT, which one should I buy?

( I don't know anything about this "Wood" firmware - is it that much better than other firmwares? I've always read that R4's were the worst brand of flashcarts... Has that really been changed entirely just by Wood? )

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in my opinion it is close to equal of thay of akio just remember akio is acekard and wood is r4. dstt is horrible but thanks to retrogamefan compatibility has not been an issue but in my opinion get acekard2

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Smash Br0 said:
Hmm... My friend just wants the cart that has the highest compatibility, is the easiest to use and update, and is the most reliable hardware-wise. Remember that she only has a DS Lite and is not likely to upgrade to a DSi or DSi XL. A price of $20.00 or less would be best.

Between the Acekard 2i, the Wood-compatible R4i Gold, and the DSTT, which one should I buy?

( I don't know anything about this "Wood" firmware - is it that much better than other firmwares? )

The Acekard 2i/2.1/RPG run and survive on AKAIO, which is based off of Bliss's firmware.

Wood is based off of gelu's firmware and supports the original R4, the R4i Gold from r4ids.cn or r4idsn.com, and the Acekard RPG.

They look the same, have generally the same internal file structure and generally the same features.

Wood is updated far more frequently, but the updates tend to be game fixes, whereas AKAIO updates contain actual new funtionality.

That being said, with the right microSD card, AKAIO can play 99.99% of all games with its Anti-Anti-Piracy Option.

So... make up your mind. DSTT is out of the picture - the team relies on RGF to update, and though the Acekard team relies on the AKAIO team to update, it's generally accepted that they would start updating again if AKAIO stopped, so the Acekard has a bright future.

Smash Br0

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, Evo.lve - it sounds to me like Acekard is the way to go.

The R4i with Wood firmware may be good, but the many R4 clones make me worry I won't get the right one, and that it would be confusing to update in the future.

One more question for now: If I get a Supercard DSTWO, should I still get an EZ Flash 3-in-1 too, or does the DSTWO GBA emulator make that redundant? Thanks for any advice!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.