Question What's the best Dongle to get?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by SushiKing, Sep 29, 2018.

1. SushiKing
    OP

SushiKing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
    I'm leaning towards the NS-Atmosphere dongle. I know there are plenty more like R4 and the SX OS.

Which one should i go for?

2. Essasetic

Essasetic Your local TX Fanboy

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    NS-Atmosphere is cheaper and has a battery and can flash payloads.

SX Gear/Pro is more expensive and doesn't have a battery (meaning it can only be used 4-5 times without charge) and it cannot flash payloads due to the locked boot file. However it does have better build quality.

Basically if you don't plan on using SX OS don't get SX Pro. SX Gear isn't a very good option either (unless you care very much about portability).

I'd recommend NS-Atmosphere as it's cheaper and gives you a wide range of options instead of just being locked to one payload.

NOTE: Didn't mention R4 cause I know nothing about it.

SushiKing likes this.
  3. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
  4. SushiKing
    OP

SushiKing GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 24, 2013
    Australia
  5. chippy

chippy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    Made by one of us for us. Not finished yet but his just waiting on parts now I think (and some CFW to enable cart charging to stay on for that feature he wants and still there but disabled and easily user reenabled by soldering 2 clear points)

SushiKing likes this.
  6. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    @Essasetic ..wrong... (i dont defend sxos but you can inject external payloads with it...means you can use ReiNX and so on with it..) just put payloads on sd root and go to option external payloads and choose the payload..... and OP..... if you dont want sxos get that NS Atmosphere dongle.

SushiKing likes this.
  7. BlastedGuy9905

BlastedGuy9905 where's the updated autopsy report

Apr 13, 2017
    United States
    under your desk
    Does it not charge itself from the Switch's USB-C port?

8. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    yes

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

only 5 seconds and its fully charged

that Dragon injector..... i get that its a bit of a mess to carry sx pro and that tiny jig....dragon injector is all in a switch card

9. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yeah I believe it does.

That's not what I meant. What I meant that you can't flash payloads with SX Pro or Gear. Meaning everytime you want to boot into a different CFW you'd need to go into the bootloader and select it from there. With NS-Atmosphere you can flash it so it boots directly to that CFW without any bootloader crap.

10. Insane

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Well you can either use the SX-gear payload or convert the payloads to the SX format.

And TBH, the one thing which came late to the game was the hekate functionality to load other payloads. I think a bootloader for a payload is a great idea, as we don't have to reflash the dongle and just can boot with the same payload over and over :)

Last edited by Insane, Sep 30, 2018
  11. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Is there even any way to convert it so it works with SX Pro or Gear? Bootloaders (personally) I think are annoying because (unless you want to back up NAND or enable other features) it gets in the way of booting into CFW.

12. Insane

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    Well the dongle always has a fixed payload, which boots a boot.dat. The boot.dat from SX Gear (on the website) will boot another payload. It is all transparent.

If you want to convert a payload to a boot.dat I'll do some shameless self-promotion here.. https://gbatemp.net/threads/convert-any-payload-to-tx-boot-dat.518932/

13. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Impressive job you've done there. But I still don't think SX Pro/Gear is worth it as (normally) you order it, get put in a 1 month waiting list and it takes 2-3 weeks to ship. And it costs twice as much as the alternatives. I got my NS-Atmosphere for £21 (got it on eBay instead of AliExpress) but it comes in 2-3 days and no waiting lists.

Adding to that I had a really bad experience with my SX Pro where the dongle stopped working after I got the licence for SX OS off of it.

14. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States
    NS Atmosphere or wait on the Dragon Injector.

Stay away from the light blue/turquoise boxy-looking one. Too many trying to figure out how to change the payload. Added a photo.

[​IMG]

15. Insane

Insane GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2018
    Germany
    First of all: thanks for the compliment. I thought it might help. I did not know they still had this kind of a queue. I assumed by now everything would be fine and dandy. I personally have good experiences with the SX Pro and it beeing much smaller than the NS-Atmosphere (which I also own) it is my favorite. I can easily carry it in my switch case together with my USB-C adapter (for charging) and self-made jig. The NS-Atmosphere is just to thick to fit into the case...

16. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Firstly: no problem! :) I do think SX Pro/Gear is a tad too small to the point where it is very easy to lose. Also NS-Atmosphere dongle has a place to store the jig in (which can also be very easy to lose). I do like convince and portability but I do think SX Pro and Gear are too easy to lose. NS-Atmosphere is really big and thick but also much harder to lose.

17. solitaire4eva

solitaire4eva GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2014
    United States
    Parts Unknown
    I bought the original clear injector from Aliexpress for $15 an it works great! Only problem is I had to wait 4 weeks for it to arrive and I forgot I had even ordered it by then. Best thing to do is check for local vendors on the web first if you don't mind waiting a month to save a few dollars.

SushiKing likes this.
  18. Essasetic

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    If you don't mind paying more. It's best to order this stuff off eBay (if you can). As it usually ships from your local country and only takes about a few days.

solitaire4eva likes this.
  19. solitaire4eva

solitaire4eva GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2014
    United States
    Parts Unknown
    I agree with the ebay purchase. They back up their buyers like 99% of the time.

This the injector I use but mines is solid black

[​IMG]

20. DollyWhipDoll

DollyWhipDoll You're on ignore.

May 18, 2018
    United States

Was looking for an NS Atmosphere to post elsewhere and that solid black 1 showed up. First time seeing it. I've seen that translucent black, though.

[​IMG]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-N...h-Payloads-RCM-JIG-Injector-S-J2/113278331980

******Just noticed it looks like they solved that reset button issue or the lack of 1 on the clear black.

Last edited by DollyWhipDoll, Sep 30, 2018