What's the Appropriate age to start making critical life decisions?

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been recently doing the thing where I look back at Highschool people I knew every once in awhile to see what everyone's up to. In doing so, I've come across the trend that most country's face nowadays. A ton of them are still only 18-19 years of age and are already having kids, getting engaged or married, and beginning their "Adult life" WAY to soon.

It got me thinking as to what is the borderline age for parenthood anymore? What's the standard age one should decide, "This is when I will begin my family. This is when I'll get married, have children, etc?"

The modern day standards have changed so much over the years that it's crazy to me how so many people are in such a rush to get into such big commitments. And some of them even manage to make it work.
But then there are those that it serves to effectively destroy their lives. Teenage mothers with no support, Couples who try to make it work and dig themselves into debt.
Placing burdens on their family members that have to help with your mistakes.

So my questions are, What is the Borderline age that one should be making critical life decisions? What does the future hold for younger generations continuing down this slippery slope? And why the fuck are people so stupid to be making these decisions that impact your life so much?

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is something that has to be approached on a per-person basis. I'm 22 and there are new things I'm tackling dday by day. I make wise and unwise financial decisions, I'm strategically and aggressively paying off the bit of debt I have, working on finding a big boy job, going to be looking into buying a new car when my debt is taken care of, eventually get a place of my own, some day I'll settle down, get married, and have kids. But no way in hell am I ready to have kids, I know that. Truth be told I'd wager that the majority of the people your age that are having them now aren't ready either.

Life is long. Shit, it's the longest thing you're going to do. You've got time.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, my name is Bortz.

I am 24 (and a half!) years old. I am a college grad with a BS in digital media and I live at home with my parents. Moved in after graduation and got a job near home in 2012. Its full time and I am making decent (only decent) money. The important part is that I am paying off my loans. I am about halfway done. I have a car, go visit my girlfriend at college and stuff...

After she graduates in 2015 I am thinking we will get married and have to move out into the real world to get jobs and have a place of our own. I dont know if we plan on having children... I dont know.

"You are never ready. You only know when you are ready enough"

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
38 here. Still not old enough for kids.....:D (Nah I've got 2!)

You're ready when you're ready, and fukk what anybody else thinks about that! Life is whatever you make of it: if you want kids now (sounds a bit unlikely judging by your post :lol: ) then go for it, if you wanna wait until you're 40, or not even have any at all, then go for those instead.
Like Arras said there's no recommended age to start making those decisions, and certainly no age limit (of course, having kids might be a struggle if you're that old you can no longer 'get it up', but there ya go). Often big things like this happen when you're not planning them anyway, and if that happens, well fret not young padawon and just enjoy the ride - life might be long enough to hold off making the big decisions, but it's too short to be worrying about them....;) (and that was quite a bit fukkin philosophical for me!)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most young adults these days lack any and all common sense. They have absolutely no idea what it is they are committing to, especially when it comes to children.

But it's definitely not a set age where you could just say "okay now is the time for baby making and marriage"
I'd say once you have your life in place (finished school, found a job, settled down) it'd be the perfect time to start those things, but even then it's a huge decision to make.

I'm 22 and thanks to "stuff" going on in life i'm still pretty much at square one. I still need to get my ass to school and get a real job. Right now that's really my only priority. The only critical life decision i'm making right now or the foreseeable future is "game design or accounting".

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm 22.
Fuck making critical life decisions.
I want to live me life to the fullest and enjoy every single moment of it <3

In all seriousness tho, 25+ would be a proper age, considering people easily reach the age of 80 these days.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
[something about being younger than you can legally go get blasted, also hah 21]

[ITT chavosaur discovers why people consider present state to be a hick state]

I am a determined responsibility dodger but then again I am hardly what you would term good husband or father material. From what I have seen from less fortunate/forward thinking friends my choice to be a gentleman of leisure was the right one.

More on topic I am going to be unable to assign an age as that would conflict with my logic on censorship/age ratings. Can't say I have met too many people with their head screwed on well enough to go with it pre about 22 though, and of those most would determinedly avoid such things too.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
26 here.
Almost 45% of the people of my age i've been with in school has at last 1 child (one of them won the lotto and made 2 kids at same time... if you know what i mean).
I really don't know when i'm going to have any kid, or make roots somewhere, but lol, 18-19 years it's the start of the best time in your life, i think you can make critical decisions after 25-26, and start thinking of having a family when the things are good settled (if you have the opportunity, someones hasn't).

Live your life, you'll have plenty of time of thinking in that.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Already 22 but I don't plan on being a father at this point in time. I'd very much rather it happen later when I actually graduate, get a decent job and be financially stable. But that plan's been delayed quite a bit :\ Damn you 2012 ;O;

And all this is assuming my love life goes well. Yea..... hmmmmm.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, I'd say most of those 18-19 year old parents didn't really up and "decide" to become parents. They just made a mistake (or several) and had to hunker down for the consequences.

Honestly, if you're even considering moving out of the basement before 35, you're moving way, way too fast. #NEETLife

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any year before 30. Personally, I would recommend 20 since you've expanded your social universe and have many more options to choose from. Me, I'll finish school and get a job, a car, and start making house payments. And all before I'm 30...
*snip*
Honestly, if you're even considering moving out of the basement before 35, you're moving way, way too fast. #NEETLife

I hope this is a really bad attempt at trolling. There's no way in hell you could be that stupid.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, I'd say most of those 18-19 year old parents didn't really up and "decide" to become parents. They just made a mistake (or several) and had to hunker down for the consequences.

That is such a horrible term. I prefer reverse retirement, I even maintain a certain level of "self employment" to keep active in my retirement.

26 here.
Almost 45% of the people of my age i've been with in school has at last 1 child (one of them won the lotto and made 2 kids at same time... if you know what i mean).

I would actually need some elaboration. Are we talking just plain boring twins or brothers from different mothers/sisters from different misters?

If you wait until you're ready for these decisions you'll never make them. Just let shit happen.

Avoiding children and an ex you might occasionally have to speak to seems like a good thing.

Edit. Some thread appropriate music.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I would actually need some elaboration. Are we talking just plain boring twins or brothers from different mothers/sisters from different misters?

Just plain boring twins (girls), but he had it with 23, what i think is not that bad, one girl i knew, 17 and got his first child, 22 and got the second, both with the same father.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?