Hacking What's stopping online multiplayer from working with the Gateway?

Obveron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So apparently there's an error when going online with the gateway? This is the only thing stopping me from buying a 3ds with gateway. I'm trying to figure out the details as they're a little vague.

The error code is 002-0123 which apparently means the Gateway is out of wifi range.

Some have speculated that this is a deliberate move on Gateway's part to prevent access to online.

Has Gateway every came out and spoke on the issue? Are they attempting to resolve it?

I realize that it only works on old firmware but we should still be able to play online on old firmware (just not eshop). Simply decline the update.

tecra_a8

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I remember getting an error with "You cannot go online with this game card" text on the lower screen.
Nintendo blocked all gateway users to go online, this was unexpected by gateway team

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I remember getting an error with "You cannot go online with this game card" text on the lower screen.
Nintendo blocked all gateway users to go online, this was unexpected by gateway team

gateway seems to mess the wireless up, notice how much a game takes to boot, and how the yellow led blinks.

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
They can't brick the 3ds, it's illegal on a lot of country's, like mine : France.

It's actually written on every game case that if you modify your console or use unauthorised devices to play on your system, the game and/or the console could be rendered unusable. You're being warned beforehand, and then bricking (if it someday gets possible) is the consequence for that.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
and bricked soon enough.
No game system has ever gotten bricked for playing hacked stuff online.

It's actually written on every game case that if you modify your console or use unauthorised devices to play on your system, the game and/or the console could be rendered unusable. You're being warned beforehand, and then bricking (if it someday gets possible) is the consequence for that.
No, they're not actually saying that.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-bricking-rumor.284730/

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Despite such EULA writings (which I am unaware of), in the history of hacking / piracy, not once a system has been rendered unusable by the manufacturer remotely, so what makes you think Nintendo would have the authority to do it?

However, they can completely ban your device from ever going back online if they catch you using unsigned / illegitimate version of a game.

Reactions: Rydian

Obveron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you can, there are some exceptions like mario kart which needs a title update.
Right, and that title update is pretty old. No need to update again if you already have that title update.

I suspect the gateway team has deliberately disabled online, in order to prevent accidental FW updates. Which is too bad, if you don't want to risk accidental update, you can disable wifi yourself. If you're willing to be careful and say NO to the update prompts, you should be able to play online.

SOURCE PLEASE (If Nintendo can detect the gateway on old FW they would do more than block online.)

MegaAce™

Steal back your future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Despite such EULA writings (which I am unaware of), in the history of hacking / piracy, not once a system has been rendered unusable by the manufacturer remotely, so what makes you think Nintendo would have the authority to do it?

I thought they maybe could, I don't know any legal stuff at all and was basing my comment on what I read on my game case.
Maybe this might be another case, but why can Steam ban your account when for example you use a VPN to buy games from other countries or do something else that breaks the ToS? You'd lose all your games you bought, so why is banning your account (making it unusable) allowed, but not bricking your console?

EDIT: Okay, as I read the bricking rumor thread and supposedly the comparison between Steam account banning and 3DS bricking isn't correct, as Steam is a service. Sorry, wasn't thinking.

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Right, and that title update is pretty old. No need to update again if you already have that update.

I suspect the gateway team has deliberately disabled online, in order to prevent accidental FW updates. Which is too bad, if you don't want to risk accidental update, you can disable wifi yourself. If you're willing to be careful and say NO to the update prompts, you should be able to play online.

I am sure it has nothing to with preventing accidental update as prior to the firmware spoofing, the 5.1 ROMs would prompt you to update to that version, which in turn would render Gateway useless. And there's the fact that after every hard reset, the system goes back to its natural updatable state.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I thought they maybe could, I don't know any legal stuff at all and was basing my comment on what I read on my game case.
Maybe this might be another case, but why can Steam ban your account when for example you use a VPN to buy games from other countries or do something else that breaks the ToS? You'd lose all your games you bought, so why is banning your account (making it unusable) allowed, but not bricking your console?

EDIT: Okay, as I read the bricking rumor thread and supposedly the comparison between Steam account banning and 3DS bricking isn't correct, as Steam is a service. Sorry, wasn't thinking.
I've never actually seen steam bans stop you from playing the games you already have. I've only seen VAC bans which stop you from playing on servers Steam hosts, and store bans that stop you from buying new games (only done in case of fraud).

Hang out on the forum more, and you'll see just how hard it is for the average user to NOT UPDATE THEIR SYSTEM. People want to get a demo or play online, or leave the wifi on and accidentally hit A next boot, etc.

Obveron

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hang out on the forum more, and you'll see just how hard it is for the average user to NOT UPDATE THEIR SYSTEM. People want to get a demo or play online, or leave the wifi on and accidentally hit A next boot, etc.
Yes but that can be prevented by manually disabling wifi, right? Or blocking your 3ds mac address at your router for even more protection.
I mean for the adventerous people, we could risk it, and avoid pressing A.
In either case, it's unreasonable for Gateway to deliberately disable wifi (if that's indeed the case, perhaps it's a bug they are working to fix).

I've emailed Gateway to see if it's intentional or not. Will update everyone if they reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: