What's so "trial" about the internet channel?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by imgod22222, Dec 26, 2006.

Dec 26, 2006
  1. imgod22222
    OP

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    Its wierd that it's a trial, and yet has many of the same features as Gran Paradiso. (firefox 3.0a) Does it lack flash,etc? Does it make Heran Bago's workaround on the shopping channel obsolete?

[​IMG] X-MAS WII!

GBAtemp now needs a wii emoticon. : D

2. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    no tab browsing [​IMG]

3. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    it freezes alot while playing flash games

4. paOol

Member paOol GBAtemp Regular

i was visiting a bunch of pages before, starting from worldofwarcraft.com and viewing the forums there, and goign over to ign and then gbatemp and youtube. and while i was at youtube, i clicked one of the video links and it took me back to one of the worldofwarcraft.com threads i just viewed earlier. that was weird. i clicked back and it put me back one page before the thread. :wtf:

5. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    That happened to me too. It was very frustrating! [​IMG]

6. - Wrath of God -

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    I think it's more of a beta than a trial

7. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    there IS a way to have tabbed browsing, a clock and a google search bar!
    thanks team DSX
    Team DSX

i have had the browser freeze 2-3 times so far

8. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    This current version is a beta, but then there will be the "final" release that will be free untill June, which makes it a trial.
    Its probably writen into the beta aswell to end in June so that you can't not update it to get around the trial deadline.

9. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    We're guinea pigs for the system, really.
    It's true that for most users, the functionality is largely enough. I mean, it loads gmail, it loads flash videos, what more could you ask for?

Here's some nitpicking, but honestly, I'm pretty happy with what this beta offers.

- Tabbed browsing that doesn't involve a hack.

- Full-screen browsing instead of that useless horseshit option you get when pressing 2. On the DS it sucks at 99% (because I did find it useful ONCE), and it's no different on the Wii.

- Um... Options/Preferences menu anyone? Could I set my cache to any limit I deem enough? Could I erase cookies and stuff? Could I have a start page that isn't the only way to enter a URL? Could I decide how much I want to zoom in, instead of "zoom" and "no zoom"?

- Performance issues : it takes a good five seconds to load my bookmarks, and I've bothered to store less than ten. I hope it doesn't get worse! And why are the bookmarks such a performance hit when I can stream on-the-fly FLVs over my LAN without the Wii even flinching (other than conventional network-related weaknesses) ?

- The scrolling feels icky and sluggish. It should be configurable, and I've already whined about option panels, but this is a *doubleplusbad* thing for me. Oh yeah, configuring shit would rule. Because desktop opera has one thing the DS didn't have and it's heading the WRONG way with the Wii right now if nobody yells at them like an old man :

- GESTURES MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU USE THEM

The good stuff, though, far outweighs the bad IMHO.
    Plus, thanks to the nature of beta stuff, Nintendo have opened the gates of hell with this. Ah, let us hope we run into buffer/stack overflows soon enough.

Oh, and if Ninty could also RELEASE A GODDAMN FUCKING COMPATIBLE KEYBOARD OR KEYBOARD DRIVERS.

That's it, rant over.

10. paOol

Member paOol GBAtemp Regular

i'd like www.meebo.com to work so that i can be on aim and stuff.
    whenever i cilck the box to type in my screenname, the keyboard screen exits immediately so i cant type it in fast enough.

11. xflash

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    and line rider dosen't work either

12. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't forget that the free until June means that it's just free to download until then. As long as you get it before then, you can keep using it forever.

13. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    no, its free UNTIL june, after july you have to actually BUY it, 500 Wii points i think.

14. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    It appears I am wrong, I did some research and according to the press release on the Opera website

15. Firon

Member Firon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hero-Link: see? Told you. [​IMG] It's free to download and use forever, as long as you get it before June.

16. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    One of the bugs which the browser has is that it doesn't seem to obey my Parental Controls settings. I have parental controls turned on, solely to prevent people from using my VC points. However, I have it set to NOT restrict usage of the internet channel. Even with this setting, it asks for my PIN every time I try to use the internet channel.

17. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    ^^Though if they ever upgrade it, expect a charge. You know they'll have it get updates now and again as web tech changes or it'll become laughably useless defeating the purpose.

I admit when I got it I jacked in my spare usb keyboard, and as I figured it saw nothing. Damn shame opera guys didn't squeeze that one in there as an easter egg or something. Also in agreeance on the necessity of tabbed browsing and also fast bookmark loading. Other than that I'm happy.

Oh and if anyone wants a free fun time, head over to eyezmaze.com for their mini puzzle games, but best yet they're sponsoring a link to the guy who made Zookeeper that's on DS, and he upgraded his flash version to have the DS features (mostly.) It's got the binoculars, DS game timing countdown, and quest mode...damn fun. Tried it a good 30min on the wii the other day and it's pretty damn slick with the the controller.