Hacking Whats really the best DS cart for the 3DS ?

FR0ZN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I understand that this has probably been asked a thousand times and I'm sure there was a sticky for that as well somewhere.
But as we all know, the DS cart market is real MESS with all those clones and cracked Wood FWs out there, it's hard to decide whats probably the best cart currently out there.

To me, "best" (for 3DS) is defined by 3 factors:

1) The time it takes the team to push a bootstrap update once a new 3DS FW gets released.
2) The time it takes to get Wood FW updates (official support).
3) NDS Game compatability

I have 3 carts on my radar currently, which have pros and cons as it seems (of course they do), but sometimes it's not clear how to tell them, so I opened this thread in the hope that this helps me to decide which cart to take and maybe even have a potential sticky, for newbies to directly have a place to go to, once they enter this messed up market.

First on my list is the R4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn

1_r4idssuuxj.jpg

There are a few reasons why I like this cart:

1) It is officially supported by the creator(s) of the Wood FW, which is good for the NDS game compatability. Looking at the dates, the news have been posted, it only takes them 1-2 days to release the new version (if even!), it seems that it gets its own updates every now and then. The developer behind the Wood FW said, that their Gold FW is developed in close contribution with the R4iDS Team, which is probably why they are currently at v1.64 instead of v1.62.

2) The bootstrap can be updated and they are actually quite fast as it seems. They pushed their 6.2.0 bootstrap update on the 6th august, one day after Nintendo released the FW update. Since then there was no need to udpate the cart again, because the update still works with 7.1.0.

The 6.0.0 update for their cart on the other hand was released on the 23rd June, 5 days after Nintendo pushed the update. This was way back when you had to cut the line on the PCB.

I don't know if such thing will happen again, but lets put it as the only con currently here.

The second cart on my list is the DSTWO from the Supercard Team

2_dstwo22uon.jpg

Now this one is a mistery for me, as it seems to be doing its own thing (which is good), but it's hard to get any info on it apart that it's "the most powerful card" and "the most expensive card".
Price doesn't matter to me as long as the product is great (which it probably is).
Like the R4i Gold 3DS, it gets its updates pretty fast as it seems, I can't confirm this with any dates, but this card is always on the list of compatible cards after a 3DS FW update and some useres here reported that it's usually within 24 hours so thats again a plus for them.

Now the "most powerful" part confuses me ... what's so powerful about it? Is it because it has these fancy features like a built-in movie player and GBA emulator? If so I couldn't care less, the CPU inside this thingy probably drains the 3DS battery faster then it already does by the system itself.

But how about the NDS game compatability? Is their EOS-thingy on the same level as the Wood FW? Or is it worse ? (lets say "worse"), I know I shouldn't care if it doesn't support exotic titles like some stupid Sudoku game, but for me it's important that it DOES support everything I throw at it, just IN CASE it ever happens that such a title lands on my microSD card.

Don't get me wrong, I know that no card supports EVERY DS title out there, but even if the compatability is greater by only 1 title, it's worth its money for me.
Maybe someone has some expierence with the carts listet here and can tell what definitely doesn't work (there doesn't seem to be a compatability list for EOS if I'm not mistaken).

Last cart on the list is the R4i-SDHC 3DS (RTS) by R4i SDHC

3_sdhc5uual.jpg

There is only one reason I list this cart, which will be clear in a second, so let's get some pros and cons out of the way first.
I can't tell by any dates, when they push their bootstrap updates on their website, because it's a big mess there and they use 5 words to describe the same thing. It's also hard to understand what they say, but to me it looks like that not every revision they release supports their bootstrap updates, which is a big no-go for me ... on the other hand, it has this built-in Wi-Fi update feature which is nice, but no reason to decide if it's worth buying.
This YouTube guy here seems to like this cart the most, I don't know why exactly, but he probably held like 1000 differnet flashcarts in his hands, so theres gotta be something special about it, if he prefers it over the two I already mentioned:

Now the funny thing is, this cart isn't officially supported by the Wood FW dev(s), which again a no-go for me, but I noticed something interesting in a comment on FileTrip in the Wood v1.62 release.
Two users said:

Update needed for.
XXXX - Tron: Evolution (EUR) (M4) (J591) , Serial [VTEX]
XXXX - Beyblade - Metal Fusion (USA) [BBUE]
6243 - Mama's Combo Pack: Volume 1 (USA) (EXiMiUS)
6244 - Mama's Combo Pack: Volume 2 (USA) (EXiMiUS)

XXXX - Tokumei Sentai Go Busters (Japan) need fixing.

Now if you look at their site, the latest news says:

4_compc6fjh.jpg

So they are cracking the Wood FW on their own and manage to support games that are still missing in the Wood FW compatability list, so this is a big plus imo.

As you can see there is a lot to say about DS flashcarts and I hope we can get a competent talk running here w/o any R4i / DSTWO fanboy catfights.
I also hope that I picked at least 2 of the best carts out there as I've seen the first two on every compatability list, once a 3DS system update gets released.
Of course there are a lot more out thre, but those are clones like the last one which require real cracking of the Wood FW, which I actually don't like because you have to rely on them, which CAN work out but has proven to be a hit or miss scenario.

Let hear what you guys have to say about this :)

Kindest regards,
iCEQB

Reactions: pelago

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a DSTwo, and it's played every game I've thrown out it with no problem. As far as the CPU draining more power, it's an amount so negligable that if you were maxing it out with video playback it would amount to <5 minutes of difference. I have no experience with the other two carts, but if there's anything I can answer about the DSTwo I will, as I'm a huge fan.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As far as DS Mode is concerned, the DSTwo is the unquestionable top-end flashcart with some extra features due to its embedded processor. If you're willing to spend a little bit more cash, it'll yield far better returns in the long run.

If you're just interested in an average cart, an R4iGold.cn from http://www.r4ids.cn/ is more than sufficient.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only issue with the DSTWO, IMO, is that if you close the lid of the system it still drains power in sleep mode. Doesn't really bother me, as I'm usually not leaving mine in sleep mode for more than a few minutes at a time, but it's something to be aware of. Not a reason not to buy one, though.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only issue with the DSTWO, IMO, is that if you close the lid of the system it still drains power in sleep mode. Doesn't really bother me, as I'm usually not leaving mine in sleep mode for more than a few minutes at a time, but it's something to be aware of. Not a reason not to buy one, though.
Don't all DS mode flashcarts do that though?
Anyway, the DS2 is very much the best one.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
You can't really trust the R4i Gold 3DS from r4ids.cn any more. I bought one from a listed dealer - it is a "Rev C" version and is not flashable to v6.0 + 3DS

If you want 100% reliablilty go with a DS2 - it's the only one you can be sure with - no need to worry about revision numbers or miniscule dots on the circuit board. (DS2 also plays GBA roms)

But if you're on a budget, go for a $15, free shipping (~4 weeks delivery from Hong Kong) R4i Gold 3DS from a dealer who guarantees in the description that it works on 3ds v7.0

In a few months, the Gateway 3DS team will probably have cracked v6.0+ 3DS firmware - so might want to save your money for one of those

Claw919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Echoing the Supercard DSTWO praise above. Have two of them in near-daily use with my kids, have set up three more for the neighbors who saw what my kids had and wanted one... zero problems, all games work flawlessly, and they update very frequently.

FR0ZN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I havn't expected that DSTWO is THAT popular, I always thought that it's a product for the few people out there caring about movie playback on such a device and whatnot.
I also learned about a nice feature, that it can update on a system where it isn't supported anymore, which is very cool !

Does anyone know a place in the EU where I can buy it?

Chaldron

GBATemp's Official Attorney
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i fanboy here. So far, if you are talking support-wise, the R4i (the one from r4ids.cn of course) is on par with the DSTwo. Both get quick and easy updates, with only 1 exception.

Reactions: Xexyz

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i fanboy here. So far, if you are talking support-wise, the R4i (the one from r4ids.cn of course) is on par with the DSTwo. Both get quick and easy updates, with only 1 exception.
But the R4i released so many revisions, but DSTwo on the other hand, released none.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't all DS mode flashcarts do that though?
Anyway, the DS2 is very much the best one.

I don't know, but I've heard it's because of the processor in the DSTWO not going to sleep that causes the drain, which would imply other DS carts don't have that issue (at least not to the same degree).

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I havn't expected that DSTWO is THAT popular, I always thought that it's a product for the few people out there caring about movie playback on such a device and whatnot.
I also learned about a nice feature, that it can update on a system where it isn't supported anymore, which is very cool !

Does anyone know a place in the EU where I can buy it?
In the EU and not the US? If you're in the US, I can't help but recommend realhotstuff.com
If in the EU though, I'd check ShopTemp for a recommended seller.

But the R4i released so many revisions, but DSTwo on the other hand, released none.
Yep. The R4i Gold (r4ids.cn) is a good card, but the DSTwo definitely does have a better track record.

Reactions: Xexyz

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
OP, could you please inform yourself a bit more before you post threads like this one? In addition, how can you suggest two cards without even having them?

R4i Gold: Has a Wifi update function, too. It sould be more relieable than the R4i-sdhc.com's function.
SCDS: Most Powerfull, gets many updates, serveral ingame functions, can update after it got blocked etc.
R4i-sdhc.com: They release a new card for almost every 3DS firmware/ Sysmenu update.

FR0ZN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mid last year was the first time I ever touched those flashcarts and believe me, for somebody who is completely new to the whole thing, this market is oversatuarated (I'm sure you agree).
I never suggested any card, I only listed two cards which to me looked like the most common cards available (and I did SOME research on them, as you can tell).
This thread was meant to be a place for people like me who are new to the whole thing and might not have the time to look around the scene but still want the best for their money ... so they don't have to open another thread anymore.

Reactions: pelago

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father