Hacking Whats on my WII?

steakk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A while back I bought a second-hand WII that was still a virgin. I immediately looked up instructions on how to soft-mod it. This caused me to run to Gamestop and buy Lego Indiana Jones, as well as a GC Controller.

I went through the steps one at a time and successfully soft-modded my WII. I have been playing backup games via USB and backup discs just fine. Everything seems to work as expected.

But, for the life of me I have no idea what it was that I installed. Basically, I have no idea what cIOS is installed (if any), what patched IOS's are installed, etc.

Is there a way for me to go through my WII, see what I have on it, and what (if anything) needs to be updated?

The only thing I can tell you about the WII is that it is currently on System Menu 4.1U, and it is a NTSC console. OH, and my serial starts with LU30. (I Have the rest of the serial, but I am just indicating it is not a LU64+ or whatever)

Any thoughts/ideas?

EDIT:

Initially I was thinking of just virginizing the WII and starting from scratch, this time keeping a spreadsheet of what I install, what IOS I use as a base for cIOS or whatever, etc, etc. But, my reading tells me that virginizing a WII is not a good idea.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Syscheck or Syscheck GX to find out what IOS versions are installed in each of the slots. It also says if they're patched or have the Trucha Bug, etc.

steakk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ran the SysCheck application (v1.6.2 downloaded from WiiBrew), and it locked up at the point where it says:

"Testing IOS Vulnerabilities ... Please Wait ..."

The green bar on the bottom is about 3/4 of the way across the screen, and there has been no activity on it for a few minutes. Wiimote wont connect either.

The csv file left on the SD card shows nothing but this:

QUOTE said:
sysCheck v1.6.2 by Erik Spyder

Region: NTSC-U
The system menu v449 is running under IOS61 (rev 5661)
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 38290547
Boot2 v4
Found 83 titles
Found 45 IOS on this console
Found 3 IOS Stubs on this console

I am re-running it now, and it seems to have 'froze' at the same point again. I will let it sit this way for a while to see if it finishes doing anything, but it does not seem to be doin anything that I can tell.

steakk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I compiled SyscheckGX, and it locks up as well, but at least this one tells me what IOS it is reading when it locks up. When it is checking IOS253 it stays there forever. I am thinking that perhaps the IOS253 I have is bad/corrupt?

EDIT:

I Uninstalled IOS253 using AnyTitleDeleter and SyscheckGX finally decided to go all the way through. Here are the results:

QUOTE said:
sysCheck GX v1.0.0 by Erik Spyder

sysCheck GX is running under IOS58 (rev 6176).

Console ID: 38290547.
Region: NTSC-U.
Hollywood v0x11.
Boot2 v4.
System Menu v481 (4.2U).
BC v6.
MIOS v4.
First release.

Found 84 titles.
Found 45 IOS and 3 IOS Stubs on this console.

IOS 4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS 9 (rev 1034)
IOS 10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS 11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 12 (rev 526)
IOS 13 (rev 1032)
IOS 14 (rev 1032)
IOS 15 (rev 1032)
IOS 16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, FLASH Access, NAND Access
IOS 17 (rev 1032)
IOS 20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 21 (rev 1039)
IOS 22 (rev 1294)
IOS 28 (rev 1807)
IOS 30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 31 (rev 3608)
IOS 33 (rev 3608)
IOS 34 (rev 3608)
IOS 35 (rev 3608)
IOS 36 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 37 (rev 5663)
IOS 38 (rev 4124)
IOS 40 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 41 (rev 3607)
IOS 43 (rev 3607)
IOS 45 (rev 3607)
IOS 46 (rev 3607)
IOS 48 (rev 4124)
IOS 50 (rev 14889): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS 52 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 53 (rev 5663)
IOS 55 (rev 5663)
IOS 56 (rev 5662)
IOS 57 (rev 5919)
IOS 58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS 60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 61 (rev 5662)
IOS 70 (rev 16687): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS 80 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS202 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223 (rev 4): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS249 (rev 20): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS250 (rev 65535): Trucha Bug, ES_Identify, NAND Access
IOS254 (rev 65281)

Report generated on 2010-11-27.

And to restate my original question:

Is what I have enough? Do I have things that are outdated and need to be updated? Do I have things that are no longer needed and can be removed? Basically, its housecleaning time but I am not sure what is what.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everything looks fine to me. It sounds like you want to delete stuff to save space. Deleting IOSes doesn't free space. Every IOS installed has (or had) a purpose. Best advice here: NEVER delete any IOS.

Deleting IOSes below 200 can break various programs or brick your wii. Everything above 200 is used by homebrew.

For updates, everything is current except cIOS223. You probably have v4 for certain games though, so I'd leave it alone.

steakk

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
Everything looks fine to me. It sounds like you want to delete stuff to save space. Deleting IOSes doesn't free space. Every IOS installed has (or had) a purpose. Best advice here: NEVER delete any IOS.

Deleting IOSes below 200 can break various programs or brick your wii. Everything above 200 is used by homebrew.

For updates, everything is current except cIOS223. You probably have v4 for certain games though, so I'd leave it alone.

Space wasn't any reason as to why I was looking to delete anything. I only was asking for the reasons of being up to date with what was needed and not-needed. But, if you say its all good, then its all good
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin...