What's New Url Count

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by Wizerzak, Nov 2, 2012.

Nov 2, 2012

What's New Url Count by Wizerzak at 7:06 PM (467 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    This is more out of curiosity than a suggestion / bug but I was wondering why whenever someone clicks the 'What's New?' button the number in the url increases by 1. I don't remember the previous site doing this and it seems kinda necessary to me :/

Also, I managed to screenshot 10000 XD
    [​IMG]

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    I don't know, but I am getting minutes worth of entertainment pressing the button and seeing the number go up. Loving the new site feature, best one IMO.

loco365 and Wizerzak like this.
  3. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Hey

I'm in the picture!

loco365 and Wizerzak like this.
  4. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    does this have something to do with the what's new page not showing new entries when refreshed only?

for example, 10238 would be the same no matter how much you refresh and the more updated what's new page would be the next number and so on?

5. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah I went through at least 200 numbers in order to get to 10000. XD

That's what I was thinking yeah, it's really annoying refresh on it's own doesn't work. However, if you try entering a lower number into the url (eg 9000) it just redirects to the latest page.

6. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    It feels like it's the number of times that it's been requested, i.e. "What's New?" has been pressed that many times or something.

7. shoyrumaster11

Member shoyrumaster11 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Hmmm... that /1000 or whatever doesen't feel like smart coding to me, look at Facebook. It has user IDs but, they're not permanently the same page no matter what you do. They change as a user logs in and does a few status updates and plays a few games! I really have no idea about this /1000 thing besides the fact that it's a bit of a waste of server space if you ask me!

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I noticed it as well (it is also for regular searches- http://gbatemp.net/search/7125/?q=GBAGOTW ).

My main queries are if this is stored results (in which case it would not be an ideal replacement for tags) and if the search is held forever or it is a scratch space arrangement (64 bits would probably last nearly forever) .

There also appears to be something of a latency (I tried adding a search term to a post and it did not immediately appear in a new search).

9. Narayan

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    i did what you said and visited a random number. and it brought me to the latest one. though i tried clicking what's new then waited and clicked what's new again. then i reentered the first one i visited today. and it showed me exactly what was on the page on that number.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Wizerzak likes this.
  10. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Every time you search (What's new is just a search), it assigns an unique ID to that search and saves all the results in a temporary table. I figure it's mostly to save resources.
    Either way they're linked to a user (not everyone can see the same forums) and they only stay temporarily, so linking them has no real use.

11. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    Ahh I see, I don't know much about it but that seems like an inefficient way to do it....